Stated Vs. Actual Spa Measurements

mader

Just ordered a spa, and need to cut a square hole in my deck to accommodate the tub. The stated dimensions on the model are 84x84x36. Are these the exact measurements at the widest points of the spa? I'm not sure manufacters differ in how the measure, or whether it includes the shipping/packaging.

Also, let's say the true width is 84" of the tub, and it is square. How big should I make the gap between the edge of the spa and the deck boards? My installation will have the spa be about 4" higher than the deck boards. Not sure if I need to account for access to the panels from above. I will be able to go underneath the deck to access the panels, though.

Advise appreciated!

Just ordered a spa, and need to cut a square hole in my deck to accommodate the tub. The stated dimensions on the model are 84x84x36. Are these the exact measurements at the widest points of the spa? I'm not sure manufacters differ in how the measure, or whether it includes the shipping/packaging.

Also, let's say the true width is 84" of the tub, and it is square. How big should I make the gap between the edge of the spa and the deck boards? My installation will have the spa be about 4" higher than the deck boards. Not sure if I need to account for access to the panels from above. I will be able to go underneath the deck to access the panels, though.

Advise appreciated!

Measurements can vary slightly on the spa but generally do not include the packaging in this.

I always suggest to have the hole large enough to get the spa in comfortably or leave one side off if possible to slide it in and build around it once in place. Dropping a spa in a hole is tricky enough without negotiating it in place with an 1/8th of an inch to spare. You can finish the install with plastic molding or wood material that will fit the look of your application after the spa is in place to hide the gap around it.

Accessing the equipment is critical but if you can comfortably do that from under the deck, then there's no need to consider a latch on the topside for access.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

You raise another item I have been thinking about: How to lower the spa into the deck.

I can get it next to the hole. And I was thinking of getting 4-6 friends, and getting those wide nylon ropes under all four sides, and lowering it in. Would that work?

Thanks Steve.

You raise another item I have been thinking about: How to lower the spa into the deck.

I can get it next to the hole. And I was thinking of getting 4-6 friends, and getting those wide nylon ropes under all four sides, and lowering it in. Would that work?

That's the best way. Beats trying to find a bunch of guys with REALLY strong fingers while holding on to the lip of the spa! :D

Remember... with this sort of install, the more, the merrier!

[quote name='Stevie' date='Nov 3 2006, 12:27 PM' post='15430'

Remember... with this sort of install, the more, the merrier!

This is super good advise....I would find the suggest you find as many strong friends as possible. If you have enough help this may be a simple task. Its amazing what you can accomplish with the proper rigging and brute strength.

I would say try to get 6+ guys. I did it with 6 and it wasn't bad (took like 20 min.). I got 3 8' wooden stockade fence posts and put them under the tub and just rolled it to my deck in the back yard. I was surprised how heavy the tub was as it was my first time trying to move it myself. Since last year 2 of my friends have got tubs online and with each one we get better at moving them. Also be careful moving the tub. The frame of the tub is very solid but the pretend wood around the tub looks like it would break pretty easy. Don't forget the beer and pizza or burgers. Good Luck.

I would say try to get 6+ guys. I did it with 6 and it wasn't bad (took like 20 min.). I got 3 8' wooden stockade fence posts and put them under the tub and just rolled it to my deck in the back yard. I was surprised how heavy the tub was as it was my first time trying to move it myself. Since last year 2 of my friends have got tubs online and with each one we get better at moving them. Also be careful moving the tub. The frame of the tub is very solid but the pretend wood around the tub looks like it would break pretty easy. Don't forget the beer and pizza or burgers. Good Luck.

Yes, thats how I moved mine, works really well, like pulling a boat up the beach, only need 3 wooden fence posts, don't be tempted to use 4 because it's a real job getting the fourth one out when tub reaches it's correct position.

If you're relying on some printed measurements, from the spa manual or other printed material..... STOP!!!!!! In almost EVERY case I've seen, the "printed" measurements are WAY off the actual measurements. Usually, but not always, the size of the actual spa is much smaller than the printed measurements.

If you're relying on some printed measurements, from the spa manual or other printed material..... STOP!!!!!! In almost EVERY case I've seen, the "printed" measurements are WAY off the actual measurements. Usually, but not always, the size of the actual spa is much smaller than the printed measurements.

A tad bit dramatic with the WAY, EVERY and STOP!!!! but point well taken my sun-baked friend! :P

If concerned, I suggested contacting the manufacturer directly for exact measurements of YOUR spa when complete.

Steve

Great. Not sure I am visualizing how you did it exactly.

When you say wooden fence posts, I am thinking pressure treated 4x4s, which are square. Is that the case? Where does the "rolling" come in?

A tad bit dramatic with the WAY, EVERY and STOP!!!! but point well taken my sun-baked friend! :P

Steve

Oh really my frozen northern friend? Would you care to buy some of the cover that people have ordered from me, going off the measurements listed in their owners manuals? We'd need to make some special arrangements for shipping as I believe they would fill just over 2 53' trailers............ Maybe a rail car?

Seriously, we get a few people every year that insist we make a cover to the measurements listed in their owners manual. Every one of them calls back to complain that the cover doesn't properly fit their spa. We warn all of them before hand, but some people, well, they know everything and you cant tell them nothin. The good news though, the measurements in the manuals are almost ALWAY larger than the spa actually is. So the cover fits, it just over hangs a bit.

I always figured the manufacturer did this on purpose. If you can fit the spa as it's speced in the manual into your backyard, there shouldn't be any problem getting the actual spa in there. :D

Great. Not sure I am visualizing how you did it exactly.

When you say wooden fence posts, I am thinking pressure treated 4x4s, which are square. Is that the case? Where does the "rolling" come in?

What we have here are round wooden posts/logs, approx 3"-4" dia. as well as making fences are used to stake young saplings to. Tub rolls well on these.

I worked at a company thar recived a 13 inch ruler as a joke.

One day an engineer went out in the shop and needed to check the finished size of a new machine that we ha built so he could order the special packaging we would need to ship it.

Well he used the 13" ruler when the crate arrived they had to take it apart and rebuild it to the correct size.

Everyone had a good time busting on the poor guy, but he assumed it was a regular 12 inch ruler.

First rule never assume

Never go by the specifications as some times they change, sometime blueprints are made to the finished product to correct for manufacturing problems.

I would wait until I had tub in my yard so I could check were drain is , check were best enterance into tub is, and check were pumps are located.

Good luck with your project

I worked at a company thar recived a 13 inch ruler as a joke.

One day an engineer went out in the shop and needed to check the finished size of a new machine that we ha built so he could order the special packaging we would need to ship it.

Well he used the 13" ruler when the crate arrived they had to take it apart and rebuild it to the correct size.

Everyone had a good time busting on the poor guy, but he assumed it was a regular 12 inch ruler.

First rule never assume

Never go by the specifications as some times they change, sometime blueprints are made to the finished product to correct for manufacturing problems.

I would wait until I had tub in my yard so I could check were drain is , check were best enterance into tub is, and check were pumps are located.

Good luck with your project

Good point! And that is exactly why I decided to wait. Thanks Dennnis and all.