Keys Backyard

mader

Check out epinions.com for reviews on the spas. I think they are sold through Home Depot and Costco. im sure others sell them but not sure where. If given the choice where to purchase if you choose the Key's Backyard line definately go to Costco as the no questions asked return policy is a great safety net to have if you get stuck with what you feel is a bumb spa. Also google keys spa problems and complaints. That should give you a idea of wether your comfortable with that manfacture or not. Good luck to you and happy spa hunting.

Hey mader

I have a Keys Backyard spa. Got it a little over a year now. I am pleased overall with the spa. You just need to understand you get what you pay for. They are not well insulated and if you live in a cold climate the electricity will cost more than one of the higher end tubs. If you do decided to go with keys I would stay away from some of the more expensive ones they are selling with like 60 or 70 jets. Most of the jets are the really small ones and they dont add much to the spa IMO. I have some other posts on here replying to other people if you want to do a search. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

Thats a good post! Thanks for not bashing this guys choice in spas. I was really tossed up wether to buy the Keys 400nxe? 60 jet spa with stereo for $4500.00 at Costco online or the Elite Platinum II that Costco had on the floor 65 jets with stereo and sub......Very tough choice but I wanted a spa now!!!!! We ae very happy with the hydrospa/ Elite Platinum but feel the Keys was a great spa as well.

Hey mader

I have a Keys Backyard spa. Got it a little over a year now. I am pleased overall with the spa. You just need to understand you get what you pay for. They are not well insulated and if you live in a cold climate the electricity will cost more than one of the higher end tubs. If you do decided to go with keys I would stay away from some of the more expensive ones they are selling with like 60 or 70 jets. Most of the jets are the really small ones and they dont add much to the spa IMO. I have some other posts on here replying to other people if you want to do a search. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure yours is a keys? The keys line has blown in insulation. The platnium elite, I understand (which is not keys, i understand) has the insulation panels. I think that was the one that folks say is more costly to operate.

I am sure it is a keys backyard. They do blow in the foam insulation, they just dont blow much in. It is not a full foam, they just spray it to the undeside of the shell. The cover that comes with it isn't the greatest either. There have been several posts on here from people that have similar tubs who have added thier own insulation with very good results. The monthly electrical cost for either the costco or the keys is fairly similar per month.

paintnsunni, what part of the country are you in.....Oh, what type of meter are you using to monitor electrical usage on the spa?

Seattle near the woodinville Clearwater factory...

Digital electric meter that I can check real time online.....

I use last years bill with no tub to compare this years and get a rough idea.I also turned off the spa to see the differance a few times to see calculate the variance. when I did that I was able to verify this years energy usage nearly mirrored last years so I knew the differance.

I also used the local utillity company as a source that measures energy usage on individual appliances including spas. they say $14.75 to $44.38 is the window year round average per month for this type of insulated tub

I also used Clearwater as a source as the insulation design is the same on the costco spa and the clearwater. very close in their results and my usage. Average around here with 6.7 cents per k. is from $12-$20 with keeping the spa at 101 degrees in an ambient air temperature of 54 degrees using the spa 3 times/ wk for 20 minutes each time... keeping the cover on the rest of the duration. The last time this was tested, a 3 1/2" cover was used... the covers now are thicker.

As to cost to operate on the Costco elite has been running about 22 dollars a month in summer with the last bill being $32.00 as I figure it took about 400 KWH. @ 8 cents per. We use the tub almost nightly for @ 30 minutes.

hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

I started this topic. I went ahead and ordered the Keys through costco.com. The manufacturer (keys) phoned to tell me it left their warehouse last Thurs. Local delivery person called to schedule Fri....he is coming Monday. I also received the pre-installation guide from Keys in the mail over the weekend.

So far so good on service. Hope the rest plays out the same.

I started this topic. I went ahead and ordered the Keys through costco.com. The manufacturer (keys) phoned to tell me it left their warehouse last Thurs. Local delivery person called to schedule Fri....he is coming Monday. I also received the pre-installation guide from Keys in the mail over the weekend.

So far so good on service. Hope the rest plays out the same.

Thanks. Please keep us posted as this may be an option for us.

• 3 weeks later...

So my costco keys backyard tub is now fully operational! I will attach pics when I get a chance, but it works great. I have used it the last few days. Jets are powerful, setup was easy (fill to soak), radio was better than expected, though you need to listen to it with the pumps on low, at the risk of disturbing the neighbors.

Mood LED light is cool too.

Stay tuned for pics, but I am very happy with it right now.

mader:

Congratulations on the new tub. Ain't it wonderful....especially this time of the year for those of us in northern climes! Last night was cold and the moon was bright as heck. I turned off the spa lights and just sat in a still tub with the moonlight and the steam. It makes it all worthwhile!

As promised, attached are 3 pics of my costco keys backyard. I took down a couple of railings on my existing deck, and made a set down to a second level that houses the tub.

Thanks for everyone's advice and knowledge to this point. I'm sure I will have more questions as I enjoy it more.

Thanks.

tub

tub 2

My Webpage

Nice looking setup mader. I especially like the lights you have in the deck in the second picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Mader ,

Thanks for the pics.Did you check around before buying your tub? Just wondering if there are a few brands to choose from. The one online at costco looks good but I don't know much about it. The name is Discovery Aqua Sonic Spa from Keys Backyard. They are selling it for $4,000 after a $1,000 discount. What do you think ?Any help would be great. I also like the Sundance Brand. Please email me with any info

trailblazerfan@comcast.net

Thanks Rick G.

Mader ,

Thanks for the pics.Did you check around before buying your tub? Just wondering if there are a few brands to choose from. The one online at costco looks good but I don't know much about it. The name is Discovery Aqua Sonic Spa from Keys Backyard. They are selling it for $4,000 after a $1,000 discount. What do you think ?Any help would be great. I also like the Sundance Brand. Please email me with any info

trailblazerfan@comcast.net

Thanks Rick G.

That's the tub I bought. I've had it up and running for 3 or 4 weeks now. Everything is great. No issues, the buying experience was as expected with no issues.

Let me know if you want to know more.

• 3 months later...

That's the tub I bought. I've had it up and running for 3 or 4 weeks now. Everything is great. No issues, the buying experience was as expected with no issues.

Let me know if you want to know more.

How have your electric bills been? Are you still satisfied? I'm considering buying one after getting poor service from local dealers of "the big guys".

How have your electric bills been? Are you still satisfied? I'm considering buying one after getting poor service from local dealers of "the big guys".

What's the poor service you got and from who? I'm interested in hearing your expereiences.

I have a tub from keys. The bill in the winter (new england) is around 75-90 bucks a month. Down to like 25 in the summer. Other than that I've had mine for over a year and a half and have had no problems with it. Runs great. Any specific question you have I would be happy to answer.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience with adding insulation to a Hot Tub? I see this referenced in the posting but I am wondering what method people have used to do this? I also own the Keys Backyard spa - and I am beginning to see the jump in my electricity costs monthly.

Would appreciate any insight into which methods any of you have used or might recommend to add additional insulation (reflective insulation vs foam insulation vs other???).

• 3 weeks later...
Any opinions/feedback from owners of the key backyard hot tubs?

I recently purchased a Keys Backyard 7 person spa from Home Depot. Its been a great experience so far. A tip to pass on is to "go inside" to purchase the spa. The Home Depot sales rep will give you a better deal and offer more options than buying online. Keys called to confirm delivery as well as the freight company. They were early to boot, so have your pad ready ahead of time. :rolleyes: