Emerald Spa 110 Or 220?

I just bought the emerald spa c125. They said it could run on 110 or 220v. My house is 110v and to run a 220v would run me anywhere from 800 to 1400 to install. (these are min to max quotes). Would there be a major difference if I ran this spa on 110v?

I just bought the emerald spa c125. They said it could run on 110 or 220v. My house is 110v and to run a 220v would run me anywhere from 800 to 1400 to install. (these are min to max quotes). Would there be a major difference if I ran this spa on 110v?

It would take longer for the spa to intially heat up and the heater will not run when you are using the spa which will cause temp to drop in winter/cold weather use. Some say 220 is more energy effcient, there are all kinds of opinions on that aspect.

Your house is not "110v". It has electrical service terminated into a breaker panel and most or all existing circuit breakers are 110.

All you need is for someone to add a 220 breaker properly into the breaker box and then run a wire to your spa location if you want 220 for your spa.

What I can't wrap my head around is electricians saying $800 to $1400 to simply add a new breaker to your service box and then wire a outlet to your spa location.

Our pool pump required 220v service. The pool contractor (forgive me for not throwing my cash away and not hiring an official "electrician") added the breaker to the electrical service box in our garage and then I helped run to wire across the attic and fish it down to the side wall facing the pool pump so an outdoor outlet could be installed - no extra charge - we just did it. this was 20 years ago so I don't think we did a poor job of it - it ain't rocket science.

Same when I needed a dedicated 110 - 20amp circuit/exterior outlet for our motorhome. I turned the main off and then popped in a new 20 amp breaker and ran the drop to the outlet.

$800.00 to $1400.00??? I want some of what they are smoking!

Anywho, our spa does fine on 110 but it does need to be a dedicated circuit/breaker (means nothing else can run on it) so you may have to pay someone to install a new 20amp so if that happens just have them do a 220 - price should be about the same whether 110 or 220.

Good Luck

- it ain't rocket science.

Same when I needed a dedicated 110 - 20amp circuit/exterior outlet for our motorhome. I turned the main off and then popped in a new 20 amp breaker and ran the drop to the outlet.

$800.00 to $1400.00??? I want some of what they are smoking!

It may not be rocket science but it is deadly. It can burn your house down if not done properly. And it is a violation of code to not have it inspected.