Skimmer Basket

Rednekk

We just had our new above ground pool installed, and I've come across an issue. Each time we turn the pump off, a bit of water backs up into the skimmer and pushes the basket out of its "seat". Of course, when it does this, the baskets flips over and prevents the skimmer door from opening when the pump is restarted.

Any idea why this is happenning, and/or what I can do to keep the basket where it belongs?

Thanks!

Every now and then our skimmer basked will float up out of its' seat in the skimmer housing but I can't recall that it ever lodged to where the "gate" can't pull down and allow water to enter.

Of course, before we turn on our pump one of us always takes a second to check the skimmer basket to be sure no debris is in it and also the pump basket for debris before we flip the pump switch - just give the skimmer a quick visual check before you flip your switch and problem should be solved.

Unfortunately, checking it every time the filter is turned on will not be an option. We are generally away on weekends, and will be using a timer to run the filter while we are away.

I need to find a way to make sure the basket stays put.

put a rock in it

If your having back flow problems, It could be from an accumulation of air in the filter tank. Completely release the air from the filter tank (air bleed at the top), And make sure you get a steady flow of water (no air), then see if that solves the problem. If you cant get a steady steam of water, the pump may be pulling air. You're supposed to have a internal air bleed in the filter tank to bleed off air automatically. If you come back later, and bleed the tank again and there is air, Your bleeder isn't working. Probably just dirty.

If your having back flow problems, It could be from an accumulation of air in the filter tank. Completely release the air from the filter tank (air bleed at the top), And make sure you get a steady flow of water (no air), then see if that solves the problem. If you cant get a steady steam of water, the pump may be pulling air. You're supposed to have a internal air bleed in the filter tank to bleed off air automatically. If you come back later, and bleed the tank again and there is air, Your bleeder isn't working. Probably just dirty.

I'll have to check that out tonight - thanks for the tip. I have noticed some air coming out of the return occasionally. I didn't notice an air bleed on the tank, but then again, I wasn't looking for one.

Thanks again.

often, the small sand filters don't have an air relief assy on top of the filter. In this case, you may have a small air leak somewhere on the pump strainer cover, or on one of the suction pipes. Eliminating the air leak can help cure the problem. Backwashing frequently can help as well, as it reduces the pressure build up as the water is pushed thru the filter.

Rock in the basket - while it sounds lame, it can work. Do not use anything metal as a weight, as it can cause corrosion.

often, the small sand filters don't have an air relief assy on top of the filter. In this case, you may have a small air leak somewhere on the pump strainer cover, or on one of the suction pipes. Eliminating the air leak can help cure the problem. Backwashing frequently can help as well, as it reduces the pressure build up as the water is pushed thru the filter.

Rock in the basket - while it sounds lame, it can work. Do not use anything metal as a weight, as it can cause corrosion.

I did check last night, and my filter (Hayward 150lb sand filter) does not have a bleeder valve. I will check the pump cover and the connections for the suction. Thank you.