Which Model To Buy?

gsol

Looking for a new hot tub and would like to get some feed back on which of the following models to consider.

I have been looking at the Jacuzzi J480, the Sundance Optima, Hot Springs Vanguard, Arctic Cub and the Hydropool 625.

I would appreciate hearing some opinions and advise as to the pros and cons. Is one manufacturer better than another?

Out of your list, I'm sure most people would say the Hydropool is not on the same level as the others listed. Best bet is to wet test them all and see which feels the best to you. We went with the Optima mostly because of the footdome (although it was also the most comfortable to us) and I have to say that after a week of having it I could truly not live without the footdome and the resulting foot (and whole leg actually) massage it provides...

Looking for a new hot tub and would like to get some feed back on which of the following models to consider.

I have been looking at the Jacuzzi J480, the Sundance Optima, Hot Springs Vanguard, Arctic Cub and the Hydropool 625.

I would appreciate hearing some opinions and advise as to the pros and cons. Is one manufacturer better than another?

Hot Spring is the best quality. Sundance is #2, Jacuzzi and Arctic about the same.

Not a dealer, just a happy owner here. I personally have the Arctic Spa Cub Designer Model. I find it has enough Jets (although there is one or two i may add in to a new "favorite seat") with more than enough power. I haven't had any problems with it and have no complaints, with the tub, the company or my dealer who provides excellent service. The size fits my needs perfectly (mostly just my wife and I in there, with our two young daughters on occasion, outside of that it's maybe another couple). The comfortable limit for full size adults is about 5 (although it can seat 6 . . . this would make things a little too cozy for me, and even at 5 you are "playing footsies" . . . which can be good or bad ;-) Personally, i really enjoy the lounger, but in my next tub purchase (which will still be Arctic . . . wanted the Frontier or Tundra but dealing with space limitations right now until our move) i will probably opt for a tub without the lounger to allow for more seating for guests (love to entertain) and my kids will be older and will probably want to entertain friends. Overall, it's a great spa that fits our current needs. As for quality, some will say a certain brand is best . . . but that's personal opinion . . . just stay clear of a few brands and go with quality built ones (Arctic, hotsprings, Jacuzzi, Sundance, D1, etc) . . . you'll "get the hint" of what to stear clear from that pretty much everyone agrees on in this forum . . . just read around the posts. Good luck with your spa hunting!

Most of what you are going to read here is to wet-test and decide which one fits you the best and is the most comfortable. While these things are of course very important, I would also recommend - as a fellow consumer - that you do your best at educating yourself as to the mfg features that each offers. Hot tubs are NOT built the same; therefore cavalier comments thrown out from dealers like H2o are without any basis of fact and take no reasoning skills. The cheapest made spa may be the most comfortable but may cause you all sorts of headaches and fall apart in a few years. If you want a product that will hopefully last for a long time, you should also evaluate things like the insulation methods (FF vs non FF), floor construction, installation requirements (concrete vs stone for example), ozone systems, blower features, plumbing designs, types of pumps and heaters used, length of warranties, etc. if you REALLY WANT to do a thorough job searching for a spa. Think for yourself and don't necessarily rely on simply the opinions of folks here.

Think for yourself and don't necessarily rely on simply the opinions of folks here.

Good advice, use the information here to help you gain your own opinion of all the brands you are considering. Don't use one persons opinion to make yours.

Consider things like, how long has the manufacturer been making tubs, how long has the dealer been selling them, do they have unhappy customers? Find the one that fits your budget and your backside. After all you will be sitting in it to relax and if your not comfortable, what's the point. Of those your considering I like Hot Spring, Sundance and Jacuzzi in no particular order, because they are all made by long standing manufacturers and depending on your dealer will back there products. Arctic also gets a nod because they seem, so far to be a sound product with not as many years under there belt.

After much research, we bought a Hot Springs Vanguard in April 2006. Six months later I can look back and evaluate. Delivery and installation was very professional. The price was higher than some "comparable models" but I can honestly say it was worth every penny. There have been 2 minor problems with switch seals, which simply required a phone call to our dealer who sent his technician right out to fix. We have also called them numerous times with general questions, which they gladly answer. They even came out just to check our water for us. They gave us a great orientation at install, but there are always more questions. They definitely stand behind their product. It's hard to believe any brand or model will never have problems, but unless you're a mechanic yourself, it's nice to know you can count on quality service. Be sure to sit in and ideally wet test because what looks big enough on the showroom floor is not as big as you thought when you get it home. The Vanguard does hold 6 if needed but is really great for 2 or 3. You'll love the leg room. If you like back massages, the moto-massage feature is fantastic. The variety of jets and seat heights is great also. We have used it an average of 5 to 6 times per week and have had no problems besides those 2 minor ones mentioned above. The temperature setting is reliable and is always just as we like it and ready to go. Maintenance as they prescribe has been easy and effective. The spa today looks and works as good as the day it was installed. Amazingly also our electric bill has not gone up anywhere near as we thought it would. I know there are many other fine spas out there as well, but after six months of consistent use, I feel like we made a great choice.

I also think that one needs to establish a price point in which you wish to be in wether it be a 3k spa to a 15k spa. as you look at spas and wet test them you will have a good idea of features you like, dislike or are neutral on. Another thing I did was to tell the dealers I went to that I was gathering information and wouldn't commit to a tub untill I felt I had seen all the available dealers and options avaiable to me. This took a few weekends but I enjoyed spa shopping. Once this is done you can sit over coffee or dinner and talk about what you liked, disliked and pricing and what ever else outside of a showroom. Do youself a favor and actually look at a few "cheap" spas then look at some high end spas so you get a feel of what works for you. By now you have a idea of what it cost to get the features in a tub you like, what your comfortable spending and you know what the differance of a true " cheap " spa vs. a " premium " spa is without a salesman "educateing" you. be informed and last but not least I would never buy a spa on the spot or buy one as its a one only floor model. These things don't appreciate and they sure don't become a collectors item. My freind baught a 2k spa from Walmart three years ago and while I dont really care for it he has had no issue with it at all so don't just shell out cash to assume youll get more or be happy. I have freinds that have a premium spa and nothing less would due( If Lexus bulit a tub they would buy it just for the prestige). Good luck and its all about relaxation and fun, not stress.

• 3 weeks later...