My Spa Build With Questions

launboy

New hear, read a few pages and it seams like a helpful place. I think you guys(and gals) might be interested in my Hot tub build. I'd call it unique, a combo of an in ground and portable spa.

A little background. I'm a very inventive person and I like tohttp://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?act=post&do=new_post&f=7 build things myself as much as possible. I'm also very good at Redneck repairs and fixing things in general. I've built a water slide for our pool, put solar pool heater panels on our roof, and piped our AGP with underground PVC. My latest project, which I started last fall, is the hot tub. The original idea was to build it completely from scratch as an in ground hot tub. Turns out buying a used hot tub and using that was cheaper, so that's what we did.

Found this tub on Craigslist for $150.00. Only has 4 jets, but it came with a working Spa Pack(w/ 1HP pump) and nice cedar sides. It has a bunch of little bubbler holes down the lounger and around the seats. The only thing missing was a blower. I later got a brand new, working blower off eBay for free.

PICT0128.jpg

PICT01262.jpg

I have 6 jets and a second 1.5 HP pump that I bought when I was planning to build my own hut tub. My plan is to drill a few extra holes in the tub and add the extra jets to make the experience more enjoyable. I'm not sure how I'll divide them up yet though. I'm thinking I'll add 2 shoulder(around there) jets to the deep seat and maybe a few more to the lounge seat. I'll probably do the first fill with just 4 jets and the bubbles and when we figure out where we want them, I'll suck the water out of the spa into the pool and drill a few holes. Any comments on this?

All this so far is pretty much a typical hot tub install. The tub will also be half-buried and will eventually be surrounded by a 2 tier deck that will also be even with or AG pool.

Here's where my install becomes custom. Instead of the spa having the equipment in the cabinet, mine has buried PVC runs over to where the pool pump and filter are. This is where my pool and spa equipment will be located. The spa will also share water, the sand filter, and the three 2x20 solar panels on the roof with the pool. I just finished the "doghouse" for the 2 spa pumps and blower last weekend.

This pic shows the trench going to the equip. before it was all in place.

PICT0630.jpg

Some PVC awaiting the trench...

Photo0271.jpg

This picture shows where the equipment is. In the wood box is the Pinnacle Spa Pack(1 HP pump), the 1.5 HP Bathtub Jet pump, and the air blower.

006.jpg

The 1 HP pool pump, 1.5 HP jet pump, and 1 HP spa pack all share one 3" suction from the spa. The spa pack has it's own 2" return. The pool pump and jet pump both share a 2" return to the spa because they will never be on at the same time. The spa pack will be plumbed to 4 jets and the jet pump will go to the other 6. The pool pump can pull from either the pool or spa, and return to both also. The other two pumps can only pull from and return to the spa. The pool pump can push water through the solar panels which will be the primary heat source for the hot tub from spring to fall, and maybe into winter.

Now for the questions.... First, does anyone have any questions, comments or improvements for me?

Now I'm kind of stuck. I'm starting to try to figure out the electrical. The pool pump(1HP) and jet pump(1.5HP) are both 110v with plugs. I'm going to run these on one circuit with a GFCI outlet. Both will be on timers so the pumps can't both be run at the same time. The Spa pack is 110/220v switchable. Originally, I was going to run it on 110v originally, but learned I might have 220 to the garage(unused right now). Still not sure about that though, because there are more wires then I think there should be going into the Garage and a few mislabeled breakers in the basement. <_< If there is 220, I don't know the Amperage. First of all I need to know the electrical requirements(I'm in WI if it matters) for a Hot tub/pool as far as if I need a disconnect/where it needs to be, etc. Would I still need a GFCI breaker is there is a GFCI thing built into the Spa Pack? How much am I looking at to run 50' of 220v cable underground if I do it myself? I am competent in my electrical skills as I've rewired my kitchen and second floor of my house when we gutted them.

Also, due to the fact that my equip. is 35 ft from the hot tub I think I'll run into issues with the temp controller unit. It only has a 6 ft cord. I might just mount it on the "doghouse" and run long airlines and put the air buttons that control the pumps, blower and light(which also has and extended cord) and make a little panel to mount those in where the original control once was. The issue I might run into is with the Temp. sensor. Normally I believe it would be in contact(or in a well with contact) directly with the spa water. In my setup I cannot do that without add 35 ft. of wire to the temp. sensor.(Will that mess with its sensing ability? The only way I can think to do it currently is to put the sensor in a Tee on the line before the Spa Pack pump. The thing is, I didn't plan to run that pump on low 24/7(due to the electricity usage) but I may have to to get an accurate water temp. Any input on this?

Woops, long first post...

Thanks,

Adam

With the tub being 35 ft from the equipment you are going to have alot of heat dissipation through the piping. I would have strongly suggested insulating those pipes as you will probably lose 2 or more degrees b4 the water gets to the tub.

Very nice. Have you though about both heat loss and pressure drop because of the long run? Also with out a heat source right next to the tub can those panels get the spa water to 102?

Not sure if I'll be able to hit 104 with the solar panels. This spring will be the first test. I do know that before I had a timer on the panels, if I didn't get out there until 9:00 am to turn the pump on, the water coming out of the pool return was too hot to keep my hand in front of until fresh cool pool water made it's way through the system.

I also thought about heat loss through the pipes. Those pics don't show it, but they are wrapped in Reflectix. I had to forgot to put it down so I had to unbury the pipes and add it. Another forum the basic consensus was once the insulation got wet it would lose most of its insulating properties. I wrapped the pipes together and overlapped the seam totally across the top, then tapes all along the sides with aluminum tape. Where it turns, the whole thing is all interlocked and overlapping and fully taped. One end lets out inside the spa cabinet. The other end I haven't finished yet but I plan to tape it all up too. Hopefully this will keep it fairly dry inside and I won't loose extravagant amounts of heat.

I don't think the pressure will be affected too much. I used 2" plumbing and sweeping 90's everywhere. It's only reduced to 1.5" just before and just after the pumps. Only thing I'm really worried about is if the pumps will have trouble priming. I'm not sure if the intakes are above the waterline or not. If they are, I figure once they are primed, they will stay primed.

Any comments on the electrical?