One Pump For Pool And Spa With Salt System?

n8scstm

Do you have to goto the equipment area when changing from pool to spa? Or do you have automation that you use to move the valves?

If you go to the equip to change, What I did was put a single gang box with a light type switch in line of the power conduit and when I switch the valves, I flip the switch on the box and turn off the Chlorinator.

If you have automation, some units will turn it off for you when switched to spa mode.

chlorswitch002.jpg

I've got the the Jandy AquaLink RS but unfortunately, my salt cell is NOT the Aqua Pure. I read that the Aqua Pure cell will cut its chlorine generation to 10% when the system is in spa mode however mine is an off brand and just has 220v line in. There is no way for the two units to talk back and fourth. I read through the installation manual for the sub panel and it does not mention how to wire an off brand salt cell. So, if it is indeed an issue, I will have to find a way to wire the relays so that it will shut off in spa mode. Can anyone confirm that it is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed or am I worrying about nothing?

Yes it will make more chlorine than what you would need.

If you have a spare relay, you can hook up the chlor to it, then just create a program that runs only when the filter runs (same program as the filter). That way when you hit the spa button then you get no power to the chlor unit. If your worried about rouge programs turning it on w/o the pump, make that relays line come from the filter pumps load side.

Ah, that's a good idea. Should I kill the chlorinator when spa spillway is on (pool suction/spa dishcharge) or only kill it when it's on spa suction/spa discharge? Seems like a trade-off either way. If I kill the chlorinator when the spillway is on, I wont be able to run the spillway as often because then I wont make enough chlorine. If I only kill it when it's on spa/spa, I may over-chlorinate the spa when the spillway is on. Am I missing something or is this correct? I picked up this entire system off craigslist and I noticed that the salt system was wired directly to the pump. I'm really surprised that it wasn't already wired from a seperate relay to handle this. Makes me wonder what the previous owner did the whole time.

Ah, that's a good idea. Should I kill the chlorinator when spa spillway is on (pool suction/spa dishcharge) or only kill it when it's on spa suction/spa discharge? Seems like a trade-off either way. If I kill the chlorinator when the spillway is on, I wont be able to run the spillway as often because then I wont make enough chlorine. If I only kill it when it's on spa/spa, I may over-chlorinate the spa when the spillway is on. Am I missing something or is this correct? I picked up this entire system off craigslist and I noticed that the salt system was wired directly to the pump. I'm really surprised that it wasn't already wired from a seperate relay to handle this. Makes me wonder what the previous owner did the whole time.

My head is spinning...

Probably the best thing to do is to experiment with it. Try different combos and see what works best for you.

When you wire the salt system to the load side of the filter pump, is there an issue with over chlorinating the spa when in spa mode? If so, is there an easy way to wire the relays so that the salt cell will turn off when the suction valve is on spa?

Just plumb the cell and flow sensor on the pool side of the 3 port return valve. Unit will shut down when in spa mode.