Not Allowed Concrete Around Pool

Lisa500

Hi~

I'm over my impervious limit and cannot get a variance. I can have an inground pool put in IF I don't use concrete around the pool. They said to use some sort of decking. I'm just starting to research it. I'm bummed. I was so hoping for a poured concrete deck and patio. Not going to happen.

Anyway, does anyone have something else they use? Any pictures you can direct me to? I've only ever seen concrete. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

That doesnt make sense? Or is it because the concrete decking is considered permanent. If you are planning a vinyl lined pool most require a 3' top collar attached into sona tubes with rebar to prevent the pool walls from moving inward. You can do paving stones as well you just need to talk to an installer that has experience.

That doesnt make sense? Or is it because the concrete decking is considered permanent. If you are planning a vinyl lined pool most require a 3' top collar attached into sona tubes with rebar to prevent the pool walls from moving inward. You can do paving stones as well you just need to talk to an installer that has experience.

Thanks! No pavers either. They said (building people) that some people have WOOD or Trex decking around it. I'm not sure why the pool isn't considered impervious...

Now that definitely doesnt make any sense. Pavers are just as removable as wool or some sort of composite. I have a feeling the inspection office is suppossed to be properly referring to an Onground pool not an inground. Call around to inground builders to see if they know what the codes are & also asked to speak with a supervisor at the planning commission. Have them in great detail explain what is allowed & why. If an inground is allowed then there should be no reason why you cant have concrete or pavers. it takes up the exact same space as a wood or composite deck.

Won't even hazard an opinion about the variance - where do you live? Anyway, a good composite deck would look great, definitely more expensive than concrete but low maintenance, won't crack and will look good for a long, long time. Please keep us updated.

Won't even hazard an opinion about the variance - where do you live? Anyway, a good composite deck would look great, definitely more expensive than concrete but low maintenance, won't crack and will look good for a long, long time. Please keep us updated.

I'm in NJ. I've checked with everyone. I am already over my impervious limit. (Limits are for flood purposes.) Only 20% of my property can have concrete and I'm at 23%. (Only driveway, walkway, and where house sits.)

Up until recently, pavers were not considered impervious. Now,, they count toward totals.

Has anyone ever seen decking come right to edge of pool with no concrete?

Not sure how that would look. I do know- but haven't seen- a pool that had it done- to a crazy amount of money. It was a freeform pool so, with all teh cuts, it was outrageous!

I have seen pools that have the normal coping on the bond beam (12" +/-) then just grass.

Thanks for your response. Is the coping concrete? If so, they won't give it to me. I asked.

I'm feeling so frustrated....

I'm heading back over to the municipal building on Tuesday...

I have seen pools that have the normal coping on the bond beam (12" +/-) then just grass.

Thanks for your response. Is the coping concrete? If so, they won't give it to me. I asked.

I'm feeling so frustrated....

I'm heading back over to the municipal building on Tuesday...

Yes and no. Typical coping could be concrete but it's pre-fabed, nothing is poured on site. Or you could get like a river rock stone that is grouted in place. I think that would fly cuz you would be putting this on the existing gunite bond beam (of the pool) so It wont be interfering with drain off.

I have lots of clients who build a pool (concrete) with out a deck... I personally don't like it but...

The reality is once you have your CO or final inspection... you as the homeowner have the option of adding a hand laid flagstone or paver deck as you like. Keep in mind this is like speeding when you don't see a policeman around. Its not necessarily legal but who is going to come back and check 30 days after you have your final inspection.

The problems could arise if your neighbor sees a concrete truck backing down your driveway a month after your pool is complete. This is where your ethics and honesty kick in - the impervious settings are there for a reason and 25% is a reasonable limit

I have lots of clients who build a pool (concrete) with out a deck... I personally don't like it but...

The reality is once you have your CO or final inspection... you as the homeowner have the option of adding a hand laid flagstone or paver deck as you like. Keep in mind this is like speeding when you don't see a policeman around. Its not necessarily legal but who is going to come back and check 30 days after you have your final inspection.

The problems could arise if your neighbor sees a concrete truck backing down your driveway a month after your pool is complete. This is where your ethics and honesty kick in - the impervious settings are there for a reason and 25% is a reasonable limit

I wouldn't recommend that, Because when it's time to sell the house, that may hold up the sale until it is removed. You don't want to pay for that deck twice. If you plan to live in the house for a long time, This may not be a issue. Kefbum makes a good point about the neighbor.

Lisa,

We are in Lavallette NJ and have the same limitations. Regarding permeable pavers, some towns count them as a percentage of coverage but ours counts them towards coverage without any adjustment. Since you are already over the limit, it doesn't help either way. Also, our town considers composite or wood decks as coverage the same as concrete so if you decide to go with some form of decking, make sure the town signs off that it does not count towards coverage before you go ahead. Many of the towns in NJ use a similar building code, but have slightly different interpretations.

I asked last year why the pool isn't considered impervious and was told that the rule is for drainage purposes. The pool provides a place for water runoff rather than it going into the street or your neighbors yard.

Hi Lisa500,

Impervious ground coverage relates to the amount of water that is believed to be absorbed into the ground vs. what runs off. Municipalities determine a number and that is where you are. The house, driveway, porch, shed, etc. can all count towards that number. In some areas, a pool counts and in other areas they don't. This can be problematic because lots are getting smaller and houses are getting bigger. Sometimes the builders build to that number and othertimes they leave room for future projects. Regardless, you probably have several options.

Since I am not familiar with your property, I will just give some general ways that I have seen to get around this:

go with a smaller pool, pavers for decking, wood or trex decking, remove a shed, rip out a porch, take out part of the paved driveway, go for a variance and so on. Basically, if you can remove something that is counting against you, it will help. You could also move-just kidding.

If you are dealing with a pool builder already, they should be able to figure something out for you. You could also go back to the township and see if they have any suggestions to help you out.

http://buyingaswimmingpool.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have friends with an older rectangle liner pool with no concrete decking. They have a wood deck surrounding the pool that butts up flush to the aluminum coping and it doesn't look bad. Even with a gunite pool, the top of the bond beam would be concrete, brick or tile capped.

We have friends with an older rectangle liner pool with no concrete decking. They have a wood deck surrounding the pool that butts up flush to the aluminum coping and it doesn't look bad. Even with a gunite pool, the top of the bond beam would be concrete, brick or tile capped.

In my initial response to this thread, I wrote "a good composite deck would look great, definitely more expensive than concrete but low maintenance, won't crack and will look good for a long, long time." I stand by that. I have not personally seen a composite deck in a pool setting, but I've seen many composite decks, seen many in a pool setting on the web and my own personal experience w/ concrete work and deck construction tells me that this would be a very workable and satisfying solution. Much (though not all) of the composite decking available today is simply awesome. Great looks, very long life and almost zero maintenance. Concrete is generally cheaper (unless you opt for staining and stamping) but concrete eventually cracks, PERIOD. I'm not dissing concrete, we used it for our deck. My point is that if you can't use concrete given your circumstances, you have an opportunity to build the kind of deck many of us would love to have. More expensive, but one you can basically enjoy (and ignore) for a couple of decades.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...