How To Beat Electricity Costs

Edward14

Baseline elc in Cali is for the first 350kw hours or thereabouts, no matter what size your house. B4 hottub we used approx 625, after, 900! 115v tub. We use it mainly on the weekends so now....I do not heat at all during the week and run a minimal 2-3 a day for filtering only.

On Friday, I drain out approx 50 gallons of water....water the lawn with it. My tub is on the back patio, I run a short 8ft hose from my kitchen facet into the tub and start refilling with HOT gas heated water from the water heater. As the tub is roughly 94 degrees it heats up to 104 degrees in no time and very very cheap! Takes about two water heater cycles (done within an hour). Using AC to heat the same would take all day and run me higher over baseline. My elec usage is now around 675 hours.

I save approx $75 a month using this method, plus I get some nice fresh water in the tub every Friday.

Sounds like way too much work for me. The problem is running low voltage, much more expensive power wise to run, but you are not likely going to change it.

I have to....running a 220 line to the patio was $1200.....all low voltage sites said it wouldn't cost that much......oh well....and high voltage in Cali is still too expensive...but this method is saving me almost $1k a year. That's a lot of coin.

Baseline elc in Cali is for the first 350kw hours or thereabouts, no matter what size your house. B4 hottub we used approx 625, after, 900! 115v tub. We use it mainly on the weekends so now....I do not heat at all during the week and run a minimal 2-3 a day for filtering only.

On Friday, I drain out approx 50 gallons of water....water the lawn with it. My tub is on the back patio, I run a short 8ft hose from my kitchen facet into the tub and start refilling with HOT gas heated water from the water heater. As the tub is roughly 94 degrees it heats up to 104 degrees in no time and very very cheap! Takes about two water heater cycles (done within an hour). Using AC to heat the same would take all day and run me higher over baseline. My elec usage is now around 675 hours.

I save approx $75 a month using this method, plus I get some nice fresh water in the tub every Friday.

How much are your NG rates there in Cali? Don't forget to deduct the cost of 2 water heater cycles from your savings. In other words if it takes 3 gallons per water heater cycle and it's a buck 75 a gallon that's 5.25 per week to reheat your tub or 21 bucks deducted from 75 dropping your savings to closer to 50.

Hate to be a nasayer but the extra NG for your hot water heater and the total of extra time you put into it at your current hourly rate for yourself you may be loosing money.

How much are your NG rates there in Cali? Don't forget to deduct the cost of 2 water heater cycles from your savings. In other words if it takes 3 gallons per water heater cycle and it's a buck 75 a gallon that's 5.25 per week to reheat your tub or 21 bucks deducted from 75 dropping your savings to closer to 50.

Hate to be a nasayer but the extra NG for your hot water heater and the total of extra time you put into it at your current hourly rate for yourself you may be loosing money.

NG is way less and doesn't have the ripoff "above baseline" rates that kick in. But both are going to get much much worse because the green-wackos haven't let us build any nuclear in decades. And NOW they want elec cars which is very funny since we don't have any AC to spare. Brownouts are routine every summer....I might look into solar as promos and rebates unfold....thanks fr your help.