Catalina Quebec Spa

The Pup

I am posting this for information only, largely because I could not find much information on the Catalina Quebec Spa before I purchased mine not long ago.

In CA, we are seeing more-and-more folks in dire economic circumstances selling "luxury" items on Craigslist and eBay. In November I picked-up a never installed Catalina Quebec Spa with more rotating jets than I have the patience to count, a matching gazebo (and a cool Bull BBQ island too). Catalina's warranty agent accepted the warranty card because it was never used/registered...time will tell. :mellow:

What I have discerned from the web so far, Catalina Spas may not have the best warranty/reputation, but this Spa is a certain upgrade from my 21 year old CalSpa (which I kept running and now is faithfully serving the needs of a good friend and neighbor). After a few electric bills...it looks like I am averaging less than $20 per month in electricity (vs. $25-30 with the older Spa) and our chemical usage seems far less too. We also have a 2008 Hotsprings Sovereign SPA at our LV home which is very nice too...you can find all kinds of reviews and information on the web (it must be more popular).

Although too early for a review...I can say that my wife and I are absolutely very comfortable with the Catalina Spa's seating since the rotating jets are flush mounted and the foot-well massage jets are nothing less than remarkable (we both suffer from arthritis and general old-age aches and pain). This is the most comfortable Spa we have ever used (I am 6' 2" and my wife is 5' 3.5" ...she always includes the 1/2"). The lounger is somehow designed for both of us in mind as it is perfectly comfortable despite are height differences.

I live in the high desert and we get some below-freezing days but the Spa's temperature only appears to vary about 2-3 degrees F when in Economy Mode (100F 2-hrs low-cycle filtration every 12 hours); this may indicate the use of effective insulation (as installed on a concrete slab). Although it is difficult to determine...our best guess is that we are using about $20 a month in electricity and we have been using the Spa around 4-6 times a night (45-55 minutes on average).

The built-in 4x50w Kenwood Marine CD/MP3-docking stereo system sounds very good indeed (much better than I expected); we also appreciate the remote stereo control panel. This Quebec spa has a nice waterfall feature and the LED lighting options are relaxing and perfect for setting the right ambiance. The spa also seems very quiet when in use which helps us to relax better.

I am currently using a 3-step Bromine system with Spa Frog and we are able to maintain bromine reserves quite easily and seem to be experiencing far less bromine-demand. In Economy Mode, the water is crystal clear, with no apparent odor, scaling or foam. I buy my water balancing chemicals in bulk and I am having good luck keeping things in check at the moment. Also, the drain is at the dead bottom and the first drain/refill was very easy...vs. having to scoop-out a foot-well.

The spa cover lift system is easy to use and we will have to wait to see how well the thick cover stands up...it is a complete seal even though the Catalina Quebec has four lobes for the marine speakers at each corner. The shell was designed well to ensure a good seal which may be contributing to our lower energy costs.

The matching Catalina-sourced solid Mahogany "Garden House" gazebo seems well constructed and it is a step-up from our previous Redwood and lattice gazebo it replaced.

All-in-all (after a brief honeymoon period), we are greatly enjoying our Catalina Quebec Spa.

IMG_3699d.jpg

IMG_3633d.jpg

I am posting this for information only, largely because I could not find much information on the Catalina Quebec Spa before I purchased mine not long ago.

In CA, we are seeing more-and-more folks in dire economic circumstances selling "luxury" items on Craigslist and eBay. In November I picked-up a never installed Catalina Quebec Spa with more rotating jets than I have the patience to count, a matching gazebo (and a cool Bull BBQ island too). Catalina's warranty agent accepted the warranty card because it was never used/registered...time will tell. :mellow:

What I have discerned from the web so far, Catalina Spas may not have the best warranty/reputation, but this Spa is a certain upgrade from my 21 year old CalSpa (which I kept running and now is faithfully serving the needs of a good friend and neighbor). After a few electric bills...it looks like I am averaging less than $10 per month in electricity (vs. $25-30 with the older Spa) and our chemical usage seems far less too. We also have a 2008 Hotsprings Sovereign SPA at our LV home which is very nice too...you can find all kinds of reviews and information on the web (it must be more popular).

Although too early for a review...I can say that my wife and I are absolutely very comfortable with the Catalina Spa's seating since the rotating jets are flush mounted and the foot-well massage jets are nothing less than remarkable (we both suffer from arthritis and general old-age aches and pain). This is the most comfortable Spa we have ever used (I am 6' 2" and my wife is 5' 3.5" ...she always includes the 1/2"). The lounger is somehow designed for both of us in mind as it is perfectly comfortable despite are height differences.

I live in the high desert and we get some below-freezing days but the Spa's temperature only appears to vary about 2-3 degrees F when in Economy Mode (100F 2-hrs low-cycle filtration every 12 hours); this may indicate the use of effective insulation (as installed on a concrete slab). Although it is difficult to determine...our best guess is that we are using about $8-9 a month in electricity and we have been using the Spa around 4-6 times a night (45-55 minutes on average).

The built-in 4x50w Kenwood Marine CD/MP3-docking stereo system sounds very good indeed (much better than I expected); we also appreciate the remote stereo control panel. This Quebec spa has a nice waterfall feature and the LED lighting options are relaxing and perfect for setting the right ambiance. The spa also seems very quiet when in use which helps us to relax better.

I am currently using a 3-step Bromine system with Spa Frog and we are able to maintain bromine reserves quite easily and seem to be experiencing far less bromine-demand. In Economy Mode, the water is crystal clear, with no apparent odor, scaling or foam. I buy my water balancing chemicals in bulk and I am having good luck keeping things in check at the moment. Also, the drain is at the dead bottom and the first drain/refill was very easy...vs. having to scoop-out a foot-well.

The spa cover lift system is easy to use and we will have to wait to see how well the thick cover stands up...it is a complete seal even though the Catalina Quebec has four lobes for the marine speakers at each corner. The shell was designed well to ensure a good seal which may be contributing to our lower energy costs.

The matching Catalina-sourced solid Mahogany "Garden House" gazebo seems well constructed and it is a step-up from our previous Redwood and lattice gazebo it replaced.

All-in-all (after a brief honeymoon period), we are greatly enjoying our Catalina Quebec Spa.

Glad your emjoying your bought on Craigslist tub. Almost sounded like a sales pitch!!

Update (for information only):

We have not had any nights below freezing for over a month and the Spa (Catalina Quebec) temperature only varies -1 degree F. As an experiment, I am now running the filter cycle for just 1 hour every 12 hours to see how well the Bromine demand remains stable...so far all is well and the spa has not dropped below 99F with a target temp of 100F.

Note 1: The owner's manual states you cannot select a filter cycle in Economy Mode less than 2 hours...when in fact you can select from 1-12 hours in 1-hour increments running twice per day.

Note 2: The electronics are Balboa M7 Elite Series with a 3kw Titanium (Inconel is another option available) heating element servicing 400-420 gallons (1590 Litres). Today I found a USB port connected to the spa contol which allows for remote monitoring and control (for what reason I have no idea).

Note 3: The Catalina web site erroneously reported the spa as having 120 sq ft of filtration when in fact it uses two Unicel 6CH-940 filters at 45 sq ft each (90 sq ft total).

Note 4: In Europe, the Catalina Quebec is marketed as the Premium 800CD...UK vendor websites seem to offer more information than the US Catalina Spa website.

Glad your emjoying your bought on Craigslist tub. Almost sounded like a sales pitch!!

Thank you Sir.

I was a bit frustrated trying to find any information about this spa and I thought I would post something on the rare chance someone else might research this particular model in the future (unlikely I assume).

The Catalina website does not provide much information...I suppose they rely on their dealer networks and sales personnel.

I also just bought a Catalina from Craigslist in the SF Bay Area. I have been watching this board and looking at several brands for a few months. Catalina was probably my first choice but I was having a hard time getting any pricing for a new one. So I've got an XL7000 made in 2000 just waiting for my electrician to drop a 220 later this week. A spa repair guy in the area picked it up, fixed it, let me wet test it, and then delivered the 1000 lb thing up my hilly, step filled back yard.

I'm wondering what to do about a chemical treatment system. It has an Ozone system. He recommended several options including: Nature 2 (uses some sort of silver stick that goes into the filter), monpersulfate (Non-CL shock), Baclaspa (peroxide based that is supposed to last a long time), and your typical CL or BR treatments.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a chemical treatment system for an older spa like mine with an ozonator. The fewer nasty chemicals, the better.

• 5 months later...

I've had a Catalina spa for several years now and my husband and kids enjoy it very much. The reason you don't see much of it advertised is because "Word of mouth" goes much faster. I'm glad you are all enjoying your Catalina's as well. Someone told me that because the Catalina spas a priced higher than other brands, you'll not see as much advertising on it because the name stands alone.

I don't remember who asked about the warranty, but yes, Catalina does not have the best warranty. Their warranty is like depreciation. They warrant a certain amount at a time depending on how long you've had the spa. The first year, 100%, 2nd year 80% and so on. However, I have had nothing wrong with our spa, the maintenance is low and we only have to pour a few chemicals once a week into it to maintain.

In the long run, you've all purchased a very good spa. Enjoy it for years. We are actually getting ready to sell our spa as we are putting in a pool. I'm going to miss all those jets

...it really is a very high quality spa (my family agrees too...preferring the Catalina to our other home's HS).

Update: No issues or concerns to date; the spa still looks as new and the cost to operate seems quite minimal (spanning $18-$24 each month at $0.12 per/kW per my wife's best calculations with some verification using a C-clamp amp meter).

We are still only filtering/heating for 1-hour every 12 hours and the water has been crystal clear and the temp only varied 1-2F in the winter with a target of 100F.

I have set the Spa Frog Bromine cartridge at 3 and it is lasting just over 3 months (typical). I use very little MPS (2oz of 38% per week). The 1-3 ppm sanitizer levels have worked great with no noticeable smell/rash/itch/cough/etc. As stated before, I purchase my chemicals on the Internet vs. the local spa shop and my average cost ranges between $3-6 per month at most (i.e. at refill).

The therapeutic jets (especially the rotating massage jets) have done wonders for my wife and I (especially with my arthritis). The lounge is proving to be the "best" highest-demand seat. The foot-well jets are especially relaxing too.

Note: The circulation during filter cleaning cycles is truly phenomenal, I cannot remember having to scoop or suck out any debris, rocks or other foreign matter to date and no scum lines either!

• 1 year later...
  • 12 years later...
On 10/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, Just12know said:

Does anyone know what they cost new

A Catalina Quebec or a Catalina Spa in general? The Quebec has been discontinued for a while. It was probably in the $10-12K range when new. Now, Catalina Spa's are $12-20K and honestly, not worth it. 

They are made in Johnson City TN by Leisure Products, Inc. (LPI). These tubs are on the low end of construction quality and are sold thru Aqua Living stores, which specialize in high pressure sales tactics. Aqua Living has no in house technical staff, no service techs and trying to get LPI warranty support is a joke.

For $20K. I want a self supporting shell, a quality dealer with factory training and a manufacturer who honors their warranty without making the owner go thru hoops.