Costcohotsprings Vs Keys Backyard

jmendoza17

your right on that point! So the Keys backyard seems to have more jets, stereo and a larger tub but possibly less insulation...... The Hotsprings is a name brand recognized but is $1800.00 more and a smaller spa with less features. either way costco has your back on guaranteed satisfaction!

I asked and still don't have the info I hoped to get.

So, I'll ask again for input on these two spas

What does the public say about Discovery spas?

What info is available on Costco vendor Keys Backyard?

Do they make a good product?

Which is best model?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is best model?

Well! Let's see. Everywhere I go I see spa stores closing like flies dropping when the RAID hits the air.

The Sundance Store is out of business near us. They also close their store in Colorado Springs, and they stated on the front page of their site, from "poor economic conditions".

The Cal Spa store in Broomfield, where we live is now closed.

This is what I saw coming with the wonderful economy we now have.

Time to "fiddle while Rome burns".

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/defa...mp;content=song

It is getting real boring on this forum, needs some livening up. :D

Well! Let's see. Everywhere I go I see spa stores closing like flies dropping when the RAID hits the air.

Jim, I am just a newbie on this site but have spent enough time over the last two weeks that I agree a little fun is in order...

I heard while wet testing last night that 5 dealers in my area went OOB last year. Nobody took delight in their demise, it was just a simple part of an answer to the question about who will be there to support me after the sale...a more valid question than I imagined. Should I really pay $800-1200 or whatever more for a comparable spa at a dealer (vs. big box) based on the premise they will be there to hold my hand over the coming few years while I get up to speed on the whole spa thing? This is more of a gamble than I thought two days ago, but one that I am likely willing to take because I have seen on these board people who know more about spas than I ever will or want to and I know about spas. I will find that in a local person and there is real value in that (for me, as I am ignorant on spas and will be for the next few years)

Jim, on your web site and in your posts on these boards you talk down to me as a ignorant potential customer. You talk down on companies everyone else speaks highly of, like Watkins. My view of the world is much more positive, but then again ignorance is bliss!

Here is my view of the future.

Donald Trump will buy out Watkins since they are about to go under from what you are saying. He'll take the high priced land and turn it into some kind of real estate success story, maybe a retirement community, maybe a gated community of luxery homes or something. He actually will single handedly turn around the current malaise in the SoCal real estate market. Thanks Donald, but there is more!

And, of course, he will create his own line of hot tubs. Gold lined tubs. The anti big box. HUGE profit margins. Since he owns the Miss America Pageant, I would think his marketing materials would be quite eye catching (no technical mumbo jumbo) and the delivery team might consist of your choice of a blond or brunette. People christen their boats in style, why not their hot tubs? I have just decided to put the champagne on ice until the Trump Tub becomes available! I like my world!

Jim, I am just a newbie on this site but have spent enough time over the last two weeks that I agree a little fun is in order...

I heard while wet testing last night that 5 dealers in my area went OOB last year. Nobody took delight in their demise, it was just a simple part of an answer to the question about who will be there to support me after the sale...a more valid question than I imagined. Should I really pay $800-1200 or whatever more for a comparable spa at a dealer (vs. big box) based on the premise they will be there to hold my hand over the coming few years while I get up to speed on the whole spa thing? This is more of a gamble than I thought two days ago, but one that I am likely willing to take because I have seen on these board people who know more about spas than I ever will or want to and I know about spas. I will find that in a local person and there is real value in that (for me, as I am ignorant on spas and will be for the next few years)

Jim, on your web site and in your posts on these boards you talk down to me as a ignorant potential customer. You talk down on companies everyone else speaks highly of, like Watkins. My view of the world is much more positive, but then again ignorance is bliss!

Here is my view of the future.

Donald Trump will buy out Watkins since they are about to go under from what you are saying. He'll take the high priced land and turn it into some kind of real estate success story, maybe a retirement community, maybe a gated community of luxery homes or something. He actually will single handedly turn around the current malaise in the SoCal real estate market. Thanks Donald, but there is more!

And, of course, he will create his own line of hot tubs. Gold lined tubs. The anti big box. HUGE profit margins. Since he owns the Miss America Pageant, I would think his marketing materials would be quite eye catching (no technical mumbo jumbo) and the delivery team might consist of your choice of a blond or brunette. People christen their boats in style, why not their hot tubs? I have just decided to put the champagne on ice until the Trump Tub becomes available! I like my world!

My world is pretty wonderful. Sandy and I went on a trip to deliver spas. Everywhere we went we were greated with love and respect and because of our efforts to improve the spa industry by example.

I got seven dinners and gifts from customers and friends.

If you want to find out who is going to be around, just look who is gone. Most consumers want us to be around, it is only the ones who don't understand that take offense, but that IS their problem. I just keep on making the best hot tubs on earth and shipping them until I can't do it any more. Having a bunch of weak willed people who sell junk dispise me is a sort of backwards honor.

There are always going to be someone who wants a Super Custom Fallsburg and who can afford it.

We call that "there's a sucker born every minute"

:D

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/defa...mp;content=song

The Sundance Store is out of business near us. They also close their store in Colorado Springs, and they stated on the front page of their site, from "poor economic conditions".

What site did you see that on? The Spa Palace website never showed Sundace on it, even back when I bought my Optima there in September of last year, so I'd be surprised to see such a thing. The fact that Spa Palace in Colorado Springs is no longer a Sundance dealer has to do (I hope) with the fact that they were a terrible dealership, not financial conditions. In fact, I wrote a long letter to Sundance corporate HQ outlining my frustrations and unhappiness with them; a few weeks later they were no longer selling the Sundance brand. I like to think I had a hand in that...

That said, there is a dealership in town with a brand spanking new store that is now selling Sundance. And just down the road is another brand new dealership selling Caldera and Artesian. Things here can't be all that bad... :)

"I asked and still don't have the info I hoped to get.

Which is best model?"

Just to add my two cents, I ordered the Discovery Odyssey

7-person, 74-jet Concert Spa last week.

Costco Discovery Odyssey Spa

I'm sure it will not be a 12K quality spa, but I don't want to spend that much and

I'm willing to provide my own support, besides, I have a friend who used to be in the

business and I know basic plumbing and electrical skills.

Check; Epinions.com - Image spas

for information on Image spas, which are now called Keys Backyard spas.

I'll repost when I've got it up and running.

Craig

What site did you see that on? The Spa Palace website never showed Sundace on it, even back when I bought my Optima there in September of last year, so I'd be surprised to see such a thing. The fact that Spa Palace in Colorado Springs is no longer a Sundance dealer has to do (I hope) with the fact that they were a terrible dealership, not financial conditions. In fact, I wrote a long letter to Sundance corporate HQ outlining my frustrations and unhappiness with them; a few weeks later they were no longer selling the Sundance brand. I like to think I had a hand in that...

That said, there is a dealership in town with a brand spanking new store that is now selling Sundance. And just down the road is another brand new dealership selling Caldera and Artesian. Things here can't be all that bad... :)

Carefreespas.com

They had the Sundance in Denver for over 20 years.

Four stores now down to two.

One would have not done a very well done market study to open a spa store now.

Thanks for the feedback. My biggest concern is energy usage. I live on the west coast and its really warm here most of the year. Have you been able to calculate your energy usage costs. WOuld you mind sharing the general region where you live so I can get a sense of climate. Thanks

Hey there Jim - Are you a shareholder in Masco? Well, if you were, you would understand that delta faucets were off by 12%, baldwin was off by 16%, and HotSpring was off by 3%. The spa industry was off by 23% (estimated) and HotSpring Spas were off by only 3%? All the other manufacturers had a worse 2006. You do the math.

The Truth

Jim - Let me ask you a pure, honest question. When you get a valued used spa - say one built 15 years ago - does it ever come from another maker than HotSprings? Ever? Be honest Jim

• 1 month later...

Craig H

I bought the Discovery Odyssey from Costco last summer and had it installed on my back deck. So far I have enjoyed it very much through out the year. While I am a newbie spa owner I do have some suggestions.

Replace the hardware (screws) that came with the spa cover lift and use stainless. They give you black caps to put on the heads of their screws but they still rust and leave a mess on the cover.

The straps on my cover have dry rotted already. They claim a 90 warranty (some also said 180 days) which is when you see them starting to fall apart.

Not sure if its possible but if I had it all to do again I would have used a tarp over the entire spa to prevent the cover from fading severly and dry rott in the harsh sun.

Same goes for the portable steps, they fade fast.

With the Ozonator I also use Bromine Tablets and put the spa in SLEEP mode while not in use (two 12hr clean cycles) and switch to STANDARD to heat it up.

Also the filter cover that twists to lock it down comes untwisted, they sent me a replacement.

Jim_The_Jim posted:

Carefreespas.com

They had the Sundance in Denver for over 20 years.

Four stores now down to two.

One would have not done a very well done market study to open a spa store now.

FYI, Carefree Spas never sold Sundance here in Colorado Springs -- they only sold Vita. One could argue THAT'S the reason they closed their shop. If they'd been selling Sundance perhaps they'd still be in business here in town...

Jim - Let me ask you a pure, honest question. When you get a valued used spa - say one built 15 years ago - does it ever come from another maker than HotSprings? Ever? Be honest Jim

Jims never answer a question honestly in his life, why would he start now, or why would we ever believe anything he has said even if he did answer the question, which he won't.