Intellichlor Question

Budarooski

My Intellichlor is connected to an EasyTouch system. I have the Intellichlor set to 40% via the Easy Touch, and according to the Intellichlor User's Guide, the More/Less buttons on the Intellichlor should be disabled, however, I am able to change values via these buttons (but the output value does not change in the EasyTouch). So, now the EasyTouch says 40% and the Intellichlor says 20% (because I just pressed the Less button), so what is it REALLY going to run at? 20 or 40%?

Other question:

Is setting the output to 0% the ONLY way to NOT produce chlorine via the EasyTouch? If I set the Intellichlor to OFF via the EasyTouch, it still produces chlorine. The user's guide mentions that you have to set it to 0%, but then why is there the ON/OFF option if it's not going to turn it off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It is connected and controlled by the Easy Touch.

I read the Intellichlor user's guide last night and it appears the only way to NOT produce chlorine is to set the % to 0.

I'm still curious why I can change settings via the buttons on the unit when it specifically says those buttons will be disabled when connected to an Easy Touch system.

Let me ask a different way. Does the cord from the cell connect to the easy touch box? Or does it connect to a small shoe box sized box mounted elsewhere? If connected to a little box, then the unit needs a control or comm. wire. Also, Has the intellichlor been enabled at the easy touch through the menu? I believe you can still adjust the percent in the easytouch and still not be enabled. Make sure that when you select "enable" that you press the "menu" button to input/enter the changes, That goes for changing the output level/percent also. If memory serves, And I could be possibly thinking of another automation system, (Side effect of working on so many different kinds of systems) Pentair made a change to the control of the intellichlor. At first you could not change output from the cell when connected to automation. Then they realized that weekly service techs couldn't change output to handle increased/decreased demands, so they made this controllable from the cell. Changes don't reflect in the in-house unit instantly. If any of these DON'T help, Pentair has a pretty good tech support and they can clear up most problems for you.

Good Luck

when intellichlor is connected directlh with an easy touch system, you should not be able to make any changes directly on the cell itself. percentages on the cell are in increments of 20. while changes made directly in the easy touch system allow for changes anywhere from zero to 100percent. if you are able to make changes directly on the cell itself, then there is a problem. either it was installed correctly, or more likely the communication cable between the cell and the easy touch is not attached securely. this happens frequently and they have also had issues with the circuit board on the easy touch that have caused some problems. i would first call my installer or pentair and setup a warranty call. if the repair is not done correctly, the circuit board could be damaged and you may end up damaging the unit. the problem stems from a change their manufacturer of the intellichlor circuit board made with without pentairs knowledge. it has since been fixed.

as mentioned by the previous poster, there have been issues for customers service people being able to make changes to chlorinator settings, but this only pertained to intellichlor coupled with intellitouch systems. when it was connected to intellitouch, service techs could not make changes to the chlorination output on the outside main panel, and changes made directly on the cell would be overridden by the indoor controller. intellichlor with easytouch has not been a problem as chlorination settings can be changed on the main unit outside as well as the indoor controller.

hope some of this info is useful to you.

paul

• 3 months later...
My Intellichlor is connected to an EasyTouch system. I have the Intellichlor set to 40% via the Easy Touch, and according to the Intellichlor User's Guide, the More/Less buttons on the Intellichlor should be disabled, however, I am able to change values via these buttons (but the output value does not change in the EasyTouch). So, now the EasyTouch says 40% and the Intellichlor says 20% (because I just pressed the Less button), so what is it REALLY going to run at? 20 or 40%?

Other question:

Is setting the output to 0% the ONLY way to NOT produce chlorine via the EasyTouch? If I set the Intellichlor to OFF via the EasyTouch, it still produces chlorine. The user's guide mentions that you have to set it to 0%, but then why is there the ON/OFF option if it's not going to turn it off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have this same setup. When the EasyTouch panel is controlling my Intellichlor, the buttons on the Intellichlor do nothing, so there is something wrong with yours if you can still make adjustments via the two Intellichlor buttons. It may just be as simple as re-seating the connections of the Intellichlor on the EasyTouch circuitboard. It's not difficult to do, but if you're not comfortable working inside a computer (or with changing a light switch or plug on a wall), I would let a professional do it so you don't end up damaging the circuitboard or electrocuting yourself.

One thing you may want to check involves just using the buttons/software. I've noticed with my heat pump and Intellichlor systems, the settings don't always seem to "take" on the EasyTouch. Disabling and then enabling the function again is sometimes all it takes to correct problems that I've had in the past. It's almost if you do things too fast or slow or back out of the menu properly, the settings won't "take".

As for how to turn off your Intellichlor, the only way to do that is set it to 0% (either by way of the EasyTouch panel or on the Intellichlor itself) or (of course) simply turn off your pump. Turn it "off" at the EasyTouch panel isn't actually turning it off -- it just means the EasyTouch panel is no longer controller the Intellichlor, but the Intellichlor will continue to operate as it was set until you change those settings on the Intellichlor.

Actually, there is another way to immediately turn it "off", but it depends on what type of system you have. I have an EasyTouch panel, but do not have a spa (just a pool). If I want to instantly turn off the Intellichlor, all I have to do is put the EasyTouch in spa mode by pressing the V - Valve button on the wall panel. Because I do not have a spa, nothing really happens -- the pump continues to run, and because I don't have actuator valves installed to the spa valve ports on the EasyTouch panel, the intake and return is still from/to the pool. However, the EasyTouch now thinks I'm running the filter on the spa, so it reduces the Intellichlor output to (usually) 0%. If you turn up the Intellichlor production on the pool side, it bumps up the spa side in small increments, so it would usually be 3% production on the spa side. The highest chlorine production that can occur on the spa side is 20%. Anyway, mine is set to 0%, so when I press the Valve button on the EasyTouch panel, the Intellichlor is still running, but the element light turns off and no production lights are on (0%).

I found out about the spa/Intellichlor thing by accident. When I had my solar panels installed, the installer orphaned one of my actuator valves for my water features (I have a waterfall and two spitters). I called up Pentair and they told me that since I didn't have a spa that I could put the orphaned actuator into the spa intake or return valve ports, and just use the spa button to turn on that water feature. This seemed like a great solution to me until two days later I noticed from my routine water tests that I had very low chlorine in the water! That's because every time I was running my waterfall, the system thought it was in spa mode so the chlorine production went down to 0%......all day....oops.

Anyway, I would check the Intellichlor/EasyTouch connection yourself or have your installer come out and verify it. I wouldn't hesitate to contact Pentair tech support (their number should be on the bottom of the schematic on the door to your outside panel), as they've always been very helpful to me and talked me through plenty of things on the EasyTouch system -- from simple settings to some rewiring.

Good luck and let us know if and how you get it resolved.

• 8 years later...

I know I'm super late on this but just incase someone is having the same problem I'll tell you what's going on. So when u have a easy touch or a intellitouch you can wire the salt cell up so the controller controllers it or the intelichlor controls how much chlorine you put in. So a lot of times if a pool man installs it they'll make the intellichlor the controller