Stains On Pool Walls

mgodwin

I've noticed orange-brown stains randomly appearing on my pool walls and bottom. I was thinking that they were the result of leaching iron, but I did the vitamin-c/sock test and nothing happened. Anyone have any experience with this? We keep the water balanced and checks on all chemicals. This is a 125,000 gallon commercial pool with a painted bottom.

I've noticed orange-brown stains randomly appearing on my pool walls and bottom. I was thinking that they were the result of leaching iron, but I did the vitamin-c/sock test and nothing happened. Anyone have any experience with this? We keep the water balanced and checks on all chemicals. This is a 125,000 gallon commercial pool with a painted bottom.

I believe you're on the right track. It sounds like the worn plaster (under the paint) has dissipated sufficiently enough to let the rebar attack the paint from beneath. When the pool was built, it was finished with plaster (marcite). When the plaster began failing, the pool was painted, and painted, and...well, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I would assume the pool is more than 30 years old and, if so, this is more than likely the correct answer. If I am right, there is no chemical treatment known that can solve the problem. Resurfacing will be the only solution. Bill

Definitely not algae as the stains will not wipe off the wall. It's also an indoor pool so leaves are not an issue. I've examined the stains closely and they look like rust, but usually when you rub your fingers across rust you get some of it on you. Not the case here. I'm leaning more towards the worn plaster reasoning, especially since I have a couple of small areas where the plaster is coming loose where it meets the stainless steel gutter, plus wisespread paint blistering. All in all, it was a sloppy renovation job that I will have to deal with very soon.