When I Get Out It's Ccoollllddddd!

treasurespast

Hi All,

Now that it's cold at night here in the northeast, I have a question for all you seasoned outdoor spa users. This is my first year with my spa, so this is the coldest weather I've used it in. I don't want to give away all my secrets, but my spa is in a secluded location and I don't wear anything when I use it. I go outside on the deck wearing a long robe, and when my spa cover is off, I quickly disrobe and hop in. That's the easy part. Getting out is more difficult! My body is toasty warm, but now I have to get out! So I get out of the spa, and try to find the correct way to put my robe back on. I can't find the armhole . . . brrr! I finally get my robe back on, slip some slippers on my freezing feet, and attempt to put the cover back on the spa and lock it. By this time, my relaxed body is tense again and my warmth is all gone.

Just wondering what you all do in the cold weather as far as disrobing, and re-robing when you're done your spa session. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I too bath in the nude alot. Our tub is on our deck in the backyard. Closest neighbor is about 50 feet away. When I go out, I simply have my bathing suit on and get in. When I am in the tub, I remove the suit. When I am ready to get out, I make sure all lights are off, and simply get out and go directly into the sunroom which is about 10 feet away. Since it's dark and our closest neighbor is 50 feet away, there is no way they can see you.

Once in the sunroom, I have a towel and dryoff. Then I get dressed and go back out, place chlorine in tub and get my suit then.

Personally, as long as its dark, I am not going to worry should the neighbor catch a quick glimpse of me in the nude.

Hi All,

Now that it's cold at night here in the northeast, I have a question for all you seasoned outdoor spa users. This is my first year with my spa, so this is the coldest weather I've used it in. I don't want to give away all my secrets, but my spa is in a secluded location and I don't wear anything when I use it. I go outside on the deck wearing a long robe, and when my spa cover is off, I quickly disrobe and hop in. That's the easy part. Getting out is more difficult! My body is toasty warm, but now I have to get out! So I get out of the spa, and try to find the correct way to put my robe back on. I can't find the armhole . . . brrr! I finally get my robe back on, slip some slippers on my freezing feet, and attempt to put the cover back on the spa and lock it. By this time, my relaxed body is tense again and my warmth is all gone.

Just wondering what you all do in the cold weather as far as disrobing, and re-robing when you're done your spa session. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I too bath in the nude alot. Our tub is on our deck in the backyard. Closest neighbor is about 50 feet away. When I go out, I simply have my bathing suit on and get in. When I am in the tub, I remove the suit. When I am ready to get out, I make sure all lights are off, and simply get out and go directly into the sunroom which is about 10 feet away. Since it's dark and our closest neighbor is 50 feet away, there is no way they can see you.

Once in the sunroom, I have a towel and dryoff. Then I get dressed and go back out, place chlorine in tub and get my suit then.

Personally, as long as its dark, I am not going to worry should the neighbor catch a quick glimpse of me in the nude.

Hi All,

I use a patio heater. It works great down into the 30s as long as there is no breeze. I put my robe and towel near it and they are warm when I get out. For your feet you could put Crocks or sandals on before you get out.

Hi All,

Hmmmm, while I find it brisk getting in, getting out is just the opposite. I find my internal body temp is so warm (I stay in the tub 45-60 minutes usually, but keep it at 100-101), that I usually stand there in the breeze for a few minutes trying to cool down before going inside (BTW, wearing a wet dripping bathing suit is much colder getting out than no suit). Now that we have a foot of snow already, I do find my feet cool off too fast though. Wearing a pair of sandals or throwing a dry mat down before getting in helps a lot.

Was an absolute blizzard here yesterday, but felt great in the tub, even though I did wear my winter hat in the tub! Wife thinks I'm nuts..... :D

Thanks, Randy

I leave my towel inside the house as well as my robe. I used to take my robe outdoors but quickly soured on putting on a COLD robe after emerging from the warmth and comfort of the tub. After a 15-20 minute soak at 104F, I'm plenty warm to emerge, step into my Crocs, close the cover and secure it and go back into the house to dry off.

OK, since several of you mentioned Crocs, I went out a bought a pair today. Got a good deal on a pair of genuine Crocs in cotton candy pink on closeout for $12. I'll give them a try, but they look like they'll keep my feet from freezing to the deck surface while I'm covering the spa. Now if I could only figure out to do with the rest of my body, I'd be in business.

I haven't logged a month on my tub yet- but I use it nearly every morning. It was 16F this AM, the coldest it has been so far.

It is brisk getting to the 101degree tub, but I don't find it cold at all getting out. Slip my Okabashi's back on- wrap a towel around and walk 20 feet to the house.

I think if I were a woman I'd want a cape, rather than a robe.

Oh- and I'm building a heated 'closet' for shoes and towels that I hope I get done before the snow starts coming. [kinda like this- http://www.heatersplus.com/products/towel.htm ]

Jim

elbrecht has the most effective solution with his heated closet but if you don't want to got to that much trouble and expense then i agree with smilinbare; don't bring your robe/towel outside it will get cold while you're in the tub. i've had my tub for five years now and as long as it's not the middle of the day i walk out to the tub in the buff. soak for 20+ minutes at 102-104°F and i find that sufficient to raise my core temperature enough that i don't feel the cold when i get out, provided it's not too breezy (the wind is a killer when you get out). the you can go in the house and get into your nice warm robe or towel off. i close the cover from inside the tub as i'm exiting.

if you're getting cold as soon as you get out of the tub i might suggest that your tub might be too cool; i keep mine at 98-100° in the summer and 102-104° in the winter months.

I like the electric blanket idea Dave, I may try that. Luckily, my tub is located only 6/8 feet from our door, so I prefer to just leave my towels or robe in the house. I take out a small pre-measured container (stacking craft containers) of chlorine to dump in. I don’t normally take any shoes out, because they only get cold. We have soaked with it as cold as 5 degrees and you (or your feet) don't get cold on a shoveled bare deck. Taking your suit off before exiting the tub helps a lot too.

All that being said, I do plan on buildind a supply cupboard with a few heat lights mounted inside next year. This will be my 2nd winter without, but I need a cabinet outside to hold my crap anyway, so why not mount a few sockets for some heat bulbs?

Good Luck & Happy Soaking

The electric blanket idea is interesting. It's something to try. Also keeping my robe inside could work.

The suggestion that my spa may be too cool could be part of the problem. I do get cold as soon as I get out, but I only have the temp set at around 100. I'll try it a little warmer next time.

Wind is a big problem where I live. The spa is on an open 3rd floor deck and I live on the bay in NJ. The wind is always whipping here. Sometimes the spray from the jets tries to freeze on my face while I'm in the spa.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I was thinking about using a very large cooler and warming the cooler with either an electric blanket on the bottom or my dad suggested I wire a light bulb into the cooler and that would keep it warm. For a less permanent solution I was thinking of using those heating pads you put in the microwave for several minutes to warm up, just drop it in the cooler with the towel/robe and it should be toasty warm when your done.

I was thinking about using a very large cooler and warming the cooler with either an electric blanket on the bottom or my dad suggested I wire a light bulb into the cooler and that would keep it warm. For a less permanent solution I was thinking of using those heating pads you put in the microwave for several minutes to warm up, just drop it in the cooler with the towel/robe and it should be toasty warm when your done.

Throw the robe and towel into the dryer then toss into the cooler and they should stay warm. I've never tried it but this method has been used by many on the forums.

I don't think an electric blanket and wet mix well.. sounds like potential shock and major problem.

No suit helps.

Crocs easy and quick to put on, get indoors, dry off and put on whatever keeps you warm to close tub.

Thing about keeping towel or robe in something to keep warm.. seems like you would spend more time getting it out and messing around in the cold than if you just went inside...

I have seen propane patio heaters which if you have an area for near tub might help keep towels and robes warm and would be safer than electric blankets and hair dryers by the spa.

Thought....

Get a bike horn, mount to spa, when your ready to get out.. Honk it.. Then the designated towel person runs out with the warm towels.... :D

The electric blanket doesn't get wet, it goes on a chair a few feet away from the tub.

Besides, any UL approved blanket is tested safe. Just be sure the wires to the blanket are not broken. Also plug the wire into a GFCI receptacle, all newer homes are required to have GFCI receptacles in all outdoor power outlets.

Dave

What is the normal outside temp when you all soak? I keep the tub at 103 and sometimes feel it's too cold. After 3-4 hours in the tub then I get a little warm and need to get out for some cool down but still.

It isn't winter here "yet" so temps at night are around the 32 degrees the other day was as cold as 5 degrees.

We are not even 10 feet from the patio door on the deck and keep our towels/robes inside, go in to dry off then I go back out to shock/close cover.

What is the normal outside temp when you all soak? I keep the tub at 103 and sometimes feel it's too cold. After 3-4 hours in the tub then I get a little warm and need to get out for some cool down but still.

It isn't winter here "yet" so temps at night are around the 32 degrees the other day was as cold as 5 degrees.

We are not even 10 feet from the patio door on the deck and keep our towels/robes inside, go in to dry off then I go back out to shock/close cover.

My tub is on my patio right next to my screen porch, and can literally step in to it from the steps. When its really cold, on the way out I put the dichlor bottle in an unused drink holder. I have put hooks on the screen porch framing next to the tub to hang towels/robes. When finished tubbing, I reach up and grab a towel or short robe with hood while still standing in the water - you stay quite warm. Once wrapped up, I toss the dichlor in, pocket the bottle and begin folding the cover over as I step out of the water. Lock the cover down and you are in. No need to dry off, get dressed, go back out, etc. Been down to 16F without issues as long as no wind...thats a deal breaker for me, I wont go out then.

Once wrapped up, I toss the dichlor in, pocket the bottle and begin folding the cover over as I step out of the water. Lock the cover down and you are in. No need to dry off, get dressed, go back out, etc. Been down to 16F without issues as long as no wind...thats a deal breaker for me, I wont go out then.

I have read on this forum, plus the guy at the local spa store where I buy my chemicals has said that you shouldn't add chemicals and then close the spa up right away - that the underneath side of the cover is damaged by doing that. Right or wrong???

Sandi

I’ve heard that too Sandi. Under less extreme circumstances I follow that guideline too, even though I know people who over chlorinate, close their tubs immediately & their tops are 16 years old. I just figure that if it is 10 degrees outside my toasty butt ain’t going back out side to close it up! LOL!

It is very interesting to see all the different tricks & rituals we all have to use our hottubs.

12 feet across the deck to the tub. I leave the robe just inside the sliders.

I am an amputee, right above knee to be exact, and I use crutches to get into the tub. The other night it was so cold, my arms were sticking to the aluminum like the kid in the red rider movie's tongue on the flag pole.

The deck was icy, that is another problem.

I was just going to ask about the cold thing.. Its our first winter with the tub and its been very cold,, 10-20 below normal,, Its 16 out now with 40mph winds and flurries.. Takes some of the fun out of the tub when your fighting the debri from the wind,, leaves etc.. We have a flight of steps from the deck down to the spa.. I'm thinking about building one of those hotboxs for the robes and towels,,

I was out the other night when it was 11F, a new record for me. But, absolutely no breeze, the steam was rising straight up in to the star filled night air from the tub. Was warm as toast, tub was 102F. Getting out was fine, following my usual ritual of dressing waist-up before getting out. My wife had gotten out a little earlier, her wet footprints had already frozen on the steps...dang near killed myself slipping. Gotta watch that one...

About the chemicals and closing the cover, they say that about ozone too. My tub has an ozone recirculator (if such a gimmick works), it draws in air just about the water line and supposedly injects it back in to the water via the jets when the cover is closed. It clearly has a vacuum to it when the jets are on low, who knows, maybe it works to recirculate anything off-gassed.