Jet Installation

dbpete

I have an old in-ground fiberglass pool/spa and I'm installing some new jets (Hydro-Air Hydro Jet 10-5100) and have a few questions:

1) The jet consists of the Body, Wall Fitting and a Gasket. Is the Gasket supposed to go between the pool and the Wall Fitting (inside/wet side) or between the pool and the Body (outside/dry side)? The Wall Fitting screws into the Body, which makes me think the Gasket should go on the outside so it's compressed rather then twisted, but on the other hand, a gasket should normally go on the wet side in order to seal correctly.

2) Regardless which side the Gasket goes on, should a sealant or adhesive be applied to one of both sides of the Gasket itself?

3) I understand I should use silicone sealant, but from what I can tell, most silicone sealants shouldn't be used in underwater situations. I looked at silicone sealants from several manufactures (3M Marine, Dow Corning 732, DAP Auto/Marine, GE Silicone II) and they all said they were not for permanent underwater use. I did find one that seems to be specifically for pools/spas, Boss 802. Are there any other specific brands of silicone sealant good for underwater pool/spa use... in particular attaching a jet?

My advice would be to throw away the gasket. Silicone works much better. Put the silicone around the wall fitting, then around the outside of the hole where the jet body goes (a liberal amount) then install the it. After you tighten it up, take some paper towels and wipe the excess off the area around the wal fitting and spread the excess silicone around the jet body. You may even want to put some more silicone around the outside edge of the jet body where it meets the spa wall. We use R+R brand 100% silicone adhesive sealant (acetoxy cure).

We use R+R brand 100% silicone adhesive sealant (acetoxy cure).

Could you be more specific... I can't find any brand called "R+R" (or "R&R" or "RR")?

I did find releasomers.com, which seems to have silicone related products, but their site only talks about "Water-Based Release Agents" and "Solvent-Based Release Agents" (whatever those are)... I can't find any product that's a "silicone sealant" or "silicone adhesive".

• 1 month later...

Pretty risky adding return fittings to an installed f/g pool. Make sure the sump is empty! When adding new or replacing any fittings that are below the water line, you must empty the pool to below the fitting's flange so when you do use silicone, it's not under water until it's dried.