What Brand To Choose...all Seems Good, But...

DrJo

I'm 6'4 250 lbs. I have back problems from sitting in a car all day long. I've finally decided to buy a hot tub to help me with my aches and pain.

1st thing. Because of my size, not all spas fit me and I have trouble finding a good size spa to fit me good. I'll be using it during winter (extreme cold weather where I'm at) and don't want to be freezing my shoulders all the time. Don't want high electric bills either. I know you have to sit and test, wet test and all but still, 1 or 2 models per brand names will fit me ok.

2nd thing. I'm trying to decide between CalSpas Atlantic or Avalon serie (with the optional Shiatsu massage seat) or Great Lakes GL8. I want a spa with enough space to accomodate 6 adults. I wanted to go for the Masters Spas but I don't fit under the neck massage apparatus. Furthermore, I've read in one of the forums that the Great Lakes use Geloy as a component of their shells which would be less resistant and could result in leaks/cracks further down the road.

Therefore, I'm inclined in going for the CalSpas. They seem to have a good waranty on their heather, pumps (made by GE) and Ozonator.

THere is also a Hotsprings dealer closeby but I got mixed reviews about this company; selling affordable but cheaper spas to Costco, etc.

I'm basically looking for a good reputable company which will honor their waranty, won't be an hassle if something breaks and needs replacement. From what I've read so far, everytime someone badmouths a company, someone stands up (usually someone who works for that company) and defends their point. I've yet to find an accurate website which can assist us consumers in choosing the right spas (better craftsmanship, long lasting motors/jets) who are unbias.

Can someone really help me in choosing the right brand of spa !!??

Most spas will give you hot water and some jet pressure. If you've done some research, you know the half dozen to dozen large manufacturers in the U.S. HotSpring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis, D1, Caldera, Catalina, etc., etc. I don't know of a site to give you reviews and unbiased advice to purchase the best spa.

It's my opinion to purchase from a local dealer, one whose been around a while selling a brand they've stuck with for some time. It usually means they're happy with the manufacturer and the manufacturer stands behind the product. If they've switched 2-3 brands in the last few years this tells you something different. E-pinions gives you some help, other frums like- What's the Best Hot Tub.com will help.

My thoughts are, if a dealer gives you customers of theirs to call in your area who've purchased, that can help.

Dr. Jo,

As you know, you should wet test before you buy. It's interesting that you promote Cal Spas over Hot Spring. Most people in the spa business would take the opposite position. I don't have anything against Cal but search the internet before you make up your mind. I'm not in the spa business by the way.

As far as a large tub that will fit you and your family, I would start with the Hot Spring Grandee. It's a deep large tub that should be able to accommodate your family quite well. If you want a lounger, the Caldera Geneva might fit you but you will give up one seat position. Just my two cents.

I sell Cal up In northern Ontario Canada & we ve had no issues with heat loss or high energy bills

Myself being 6'2 245 I understand your need for comfortable seating and not having your knees almost up to your chin when you sit in some seats in other tubs. I just changed over from a Classic 36 Tropical which is a 7' tub to an Avalon 857L which is an 8' tub with a lounger that will fit anyone up to 6'5 comfortably

The Calspa Atlantic is an 8' tub where you will be able to add neck jets on either the lounger or the other corner seats ranging from 2 jets to four jets. You can choose where by looking at the line drawing at your dealer or on the Calspa web site. If you are looking at getting the ATS seat for your tub you would have to go with the Atlantic. For the ATS system is not available as an option right now on the Avalons.

Thanks for the info. As for going towards CalSpas over Hotsprings, I don't really know at this point. You know, you pay over $ 8000 for something that will last for many years (or hope it does) and don't really have anything to rely on info wise.

I'll try the web sites provided in this topic section and see. Does anyone know if the ATS seat is worth the while (and the price) in CalSpas ?

thanks again for the info

Ask your local Cal dealer how many tubs he has sold with the ATS system and the feed back I have sold a limited number of tubs with the system and have had mixed reviews some say it was the best option they ever got and others have said it was a good option but are unsure if they would get it again Not one bad review about the system though. But for your Height and size I believe the Calspas will be a better fit. But I could be wrong

I'm 6'4 250 lbs. I have back problems from sitting in a car all day long. I've finally decided to buy a hot tub to help me with my aches and pain.

1st thing. Because of my size, not all spas fit me and I have trouble finding a good size spa to fit me good. I'll be using it during winter (extreme cold weather where I'm at) and don't want to be freezing my shoulders all the time. Don't want high electric bills either. I know you have to sit and test, wet test and all but still, 1 or 2 models per brand names will fit me ok.

2nd thing. I'm trying to decide between CalSpas Atlantic or Avalon serie (with the optional Shiatsu massage seat) or Great Lakes GL8. I want a spa with enough space to accomodate 6 adults. I wanted to go for the Masters Spas but I don't fit under the neck massage apparatus. Furthermore, I've read in one of the forums that the Great Lakes use Geloy as a component of their shells which would be less resistant and could result in leaks/cracks further down the road.

Therefore, I'm inclined in going for the CalSpas. They seem to have a good waranty on their heather, pumps (made by GE) and Ozonator.

THere is also a Hotsprings dealer closeby but I got mixed reviews about this company; selling affordable but cheaper spas to Costco, etc.

I'm basically looking for a good reputable company which will honor their waranty, won't be an hassle if something breaks and needs replacement. From what I've read so far, everytime someone badmouths a company, someone stands up (usually someone who works for that company) and defends their point. I've yet to find an accurate website which can assist us consumers in choosing the right spas (better craftsmanship, long lasting motors/jets) who are unbias.

DrJo - I hope you haven't bought that Cal Spa yet. My wife and I are also in the market for our first tub and I have researched companies and their products till I'm blue in the face. I probably over-analyze the technical aspects of a hot tub, but when you're paying $8-12k for a unit, you don't want to make a mistake. We were also considering a Cal Spa (the new Avalon series A857B) which had every feature that we wanted. Unfortunately, the 2 dealers (both with multiple stores) here in the Chicago area neither stocked nor were actively selling the brand any longer due to product failure (especially jets popping out) and lack of parts supply continuity. In fact, one dealer informed us that Cal Spa told him that jets are on indefinite back order which told him they would never be delivered. Meanwhile, his customers get mad at him which is why they are no longer actively selling Cal Spas. I then checked the BBB website to verify this and I found many complaints lodged against them. I realize Cal Spas is a huge company and 95 complaints in the last 3 years is miniscule vs. their volume. But the fact that neither dealer is selling them any longer and not being able to wet test them led us down a different path. Also be aware based on what we were told, Cal Spas uses proprietory parts which means if they change them down the line, you cannot necessarily find them elsewhere which means you're screwed. Just some info for you to take or leave. Good luck. This industry is a mine field to get straight answers (as you probably have already discovered).

DrJo - I hope you haven't bought that Cal Spa yet. My wife and I are also in the market for our first tub and I have researched companies and their products till I'm blue in the face. I probably over-analyze the technical aspects of a hot tub, but when you're paying $8-12k for a unit, you don't want to make a mistake. We were also considering a Cal Spa (the new Avalon series A857B) which had every feature that we wanted. Unfortunately, the 2 dealers (both with multiple stores) here in the Chicago area neither stocked nor were actively selling the brand any longer due to product failure (especially jets popping out) and lack of parts supply continuity. In fact, one dealer informed us that Cal Spa told him that jets are on indefinite back order which told him they would never be delivered. Meanwhile, his customers get mad at him which is why they are no longer actively selling Cal Spas. I then checked the BBB website to verify this and I found many complaints lodged against them. I realize Cal Spas is a huge company and 95 complaints in the last 3 years is miniscule vs. their volume. But the fact that neither dealer is selling them any longer and not being able to wet test them led us down a different path. Also be aware based on what we were told, Cal Spas uses proprietory parts which means if they change them down the line, you cannot necessarily find them elsewhere which means you're screwed. Just some info for you to take or leave. Good luck. This industry is a mine field to get straight answers (as you probably have already discovered).

The jet problem is true I would have to say. In 2002 I am not sure what happened but yes jets were crumbling The jets popping out was an issue that was ressolved a while back the backs of the jets have changed in design and in material It wasnt just Cal having this problem it was a large number of tub companies with this problem. Im in Canada and I have no problem getting parts especially jets for most of the previous years models except a few jets in that year. It was a Waterways problem though not Cal

With respect to the proprietary parts every tub company has them thats what makes everyone different or we would all be the same. Cal spa has the Xl heat exchanger which is warrantied for life, eliminator plus wet ends which are also warrantied for life. and a couple other small things. If your looking at getting a tub that has the cheapest aftermarket parts then you are not looking at quality. Would you not want to buy parts that are made for your tub so you know it will perform like it is supposed to. Its a shame about the dealers lack of commitment but some guys flip tub companies every couple of years looking for the bigger better deal.

I dont know if you have a LA spa dealer there bu they make a tub specifically for taller people, its the ESTEEM model. I have a similar version called the HEET that I bought. Very nice tub. I am 6'1" so I ran into similar issue with many tubs. The model I have fits me good but the Esteem was specially designed around tall people as my dealer told me. As for build quality, the LA spa is just as good if not better than most tub brands. I guess that I am biased since I bought one. I was not impressed at all from quality, fit or comfort from any Cal model and i believe I tested them all. You will float out of almost all their seats as they recline back alot. They are comfy dry but awful wet in my opinion. Some others that I tested that are good for tall people, the Elite by MAXX (not the costco tub) was nice but its a shallower tub so you may not get all parts in the water. The bullfrog was a very nice and roomy tub with good quality but prices for what you got. all in all, only you can decide if it fits. These are just a few from the many tubs I tested that shined. I was not impressed my many of the BIG names so dont feel like you need to buy a brand just because you se alot about it on here. Hotsprings is considered one of the best by many on here but was one of the most over rated, under powered and over priced spas I tested.

The jet problem is true I would have to say. In 2002 I am not sure what happened but yes jets were crumbling The jets popping out was an issue that was ressolved a while back the backs of the jets have changed in design and in material It wasnt just Cal having this problem it was a large number of tub companies with this problem. Im in Canada and I have no problem getting parts especially jets for most of the previous years models except a few jets in that year. It was a Waterways problem though not Cal

With respect to the proprietary parts every tub company has them thats what makes everyone different or we would all be the same. Cal spa has the Xl heat exchanger which is warrantied for life, eliminator plus wet ends which are also warrantied for life. and a couple other small things. If your looking at getting a tub that has the cheapest aftermarket parts then you are not looking at quality. Would you not want to buy parts that are made for your tub so you know it will perform like it is supposed to. Its a shame about the dealers lack of commitment but some guys flip tub companies every couple of years looking for the bigger better deal.

Thanks for that info Pathfinder. As a prospective buyer of a spa I find one of the most frustrating things about thoroughly researching brands is the contradictory information one gets from dealers. As mentioned, my wife and I were very excited about the Cal Spa model, but were turned off by both of their dealers here in the Chicago area. What kind of representation is this for the mfg when their only distribution centers don't even display their product and bad rap their service and quality? As an insurance broker, I write business with companies that pay more commission; I suspect spa dealers conduct themselves similarly. Thus, maybe Cal Spa doesn't pay as much as their other brands? Regardless, it's very difficult to buy a unit; both sight unseen and non-wet tested. It's too bad, because I could be a Cal Spa customer. Don't their company reps know their dealers aren't representing them at all, especially in a market as large as Chicago?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey , Where are you from? The dealer can make a difference, however Cal is making Spas better than ever before , no jet back orders, excellent warranty and quality control is unprecidented. Dont let some dude who isnt happy with his local dealer make your decision for you. Here in Denver I can tell you were #1 in the business and the same holds true in Minnesota and Vegas. The problems you may see being complained about is are mainly the problematic dealers that still exist. The reason Cal Spas takes so much grief is because it lends its name to its Dealers. Please remember that every manufacturer has problematic dealers. I would be happy to help you with any pricing that you may have questions about. ;)

Don't be turned off to a spa by the nay-sayers, they say the same negative things about other brands they don't like, you can get good service or bad service from any brand, check out the dealer. I liked the Cal Spa over the Hot Springs myself, Hot Spring did not offer the Foot dome with the Volcano jets and I love that on my spa (which is not a Cal Spa). Cal Spas are deeper than most, I think you would be happy with one if that is what you like. And this shell construction debate is mute, all types of shells hold up well or the Spa makers would not be using them, it is an area Spa dealers like to find fault with other brands they don't sell. Some types of materials can not be formed into neck shapes and foot domes, so if you want those features you probably need a fiberglass shell, but the other shells hold up well if you don't want those features. There are a lot of Spa Sellers on these forums and they try do hide who they are and then they go about cutting the brands they do not represent and promoting their own brand, sometimes pretending to be a satisfied owner, so take what you read with a grain of salt. I found in my research and buying experience that you can only beleive about half what spa dealers say, especially about the other brands they don't sell. Good Luck.

I found in my research and buying experience that you can only beleive about half what spa dealers say, especially about the other brands they don't sell. Good Luck.

The trick seems to be determining which half to believe. . . :wacko:

Regrettably, luck still seems to play a major part in all of this.

Regards,

Altazi

Is the GL8 comparable in price to the others you've looked at? This is a value brand tub and should be almost half as much as the others. It is also a good value, but not one of the top of the line tubs. Great Lakes uses Waterway and Balboa, they are trouble free and solid. And they come with an average warranty.

Help! I've been wandering around in the desert trying to find a quality spa from a quality co. I think I've narrowed my search down to Thermospas and Masterspas. Thermospas only sells from their factory in Conn. (very far away) But cut out the middleman so their prices are supposedly better. Masterspa has a local distributor who only sells Masterspas. I like them both, but can't seem to pull the trigger yet. Does anybody have any good info on either co. and their products?

Help! I've been wandering around in the desert trying to find a quality spa from a quality co. I think I've narrowed my search down to Thermospas and Masterspas. Thermospas only sells from their factory in Conn. (very far away) But cut out the middleman so their prices are supposedly better. Masterspa has a local distributor who only sells Masterspas. I like them both, but can't seem to pull the trigger yet. Does anybody have any good info on either co. and their products?

Thermospas tries that "we cut out the middleman" marketing jargon but it's a joke because the reality is they are very high priced and very suspect quality. I'm not a fan of Master spas but of the two that might be your better bet.

Hey , Where are you from? The dealer can make a difference, however Cal is making Spas better than ever before , no jet back orders, excellent warranty and quality control is unprecidented. Dont let some dude who isnt happy with his local dealer make your decision for you. Here in Denver I can tell you were #1 in the business and the same holds true in Minnesota and Vegas. The problems you may see being complained about is are mainly the problematic dealers that still exist. The reason Cal Spas takes so much grief is because it lends its name to its Dealers. Please remember that every manufacturer has problematic dealers. I would be happy to help you with any pricing that you may have questions about. ;)

I think the point was in a market as big as CHicago, you think Cal would see they arent moving enough tubs through those dealers that Wes was probably reffered to from Cal? if there not moving enough tubs find better representation in that city, if the dealer isnt getting support from the company for the product of course he will try to sell something else, or try not to sell it because he knows its a headache coming. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it gets frustrating offering some opinions on a product line in response to a consumer question when the answer is totally misinterpreted by some ot those on this website. Maybe it's an indictment about our educational system with people not being able to read and understand clearly. It APPEARS that both Spaman and dlynn both misunderstood my prior post about CalSpa and their dealer network here in metro Chicago.

As Glenn recently pointed out, I was not slamming CalSpa directly; rather just pointing out the reasons why I was not able to buy one of their units. LET ME REPEAT, both of CalSpa's very large, multi-location dealers told me they don't market Cal actively due to problems they have had in the past with this mfg. One of them sells only 2 models (neither one of them displayed on the floor at the location nearest me) and the other neither displays or markets Cal's products whatsoever! Now what part of my criticism don't you guys understand? I wanted very much to see an Avalon series model and was impressed with Cal's engineering and components, but without being able to wet test (let alone even seeing) a unit, there was no way to justfiy spending good money on a product neither recommended by a dealer nor able to view.

Thus my words of warning to Dr. Jo about what dealers in Chicago had to say about CalSpa and why I didn't buy their product. This letter was probably a waste of a couple of minutes of my time, but I wanted to clarify my original post to those who didn't get it right the first time!

Sometimes it gets frustrating offering some opinions on a product line in response to a consumer question when the answer is totally misinterpreted by some ot those on this website. Maybe it's an indictment about our educational system with people not being able to read and understand clearly. It APPEARS that both Spaman and dlynn both misunderstood my prior post about CalSpa and their dealer network here in metro Chicago.

As Glenn recently pointed out, I was not slamming CalSpa directly; rather just pointing out the reasons why I was not able to buy one of their units. LET ME REPEAT, both of CalSpa's very large, multi-location dealers told me they don't market Cal actively due to problems they have had in the past with this mfg. One of them sells only 2 models (neither one of them displayed on the floor at the location nearest me) and the other neither displays or markets Cal's products whatsoever! Now what part of my criticism don't you guys understand? I wanted very much to see an Avalon series model and was impressed with Cal's engineering and components, but without being able to wet test (let alone even seeing) a unit, there was no way to justfiy spending good money on a product neither recommended by a dealer nor able to view.

Thus my words of warning to Dr. Jo about what dealers in Chicago had to say about CalSpa and why I didn't buy their product. This letter was probably a waste of a couple of minutes of my time, but I wanted to clarify my original post to those who didn't get it right the first time!

Would ya mind backing the claim up with a name and phone number of who you spoke with as I have been talking to the major dealer in Chicago and he personally would like to know exactly who you are talking about. It just doesnt seem wise to spend thousands of dollars to have product sitting on your floor, and then not offering to sell it. If an employee is doing this he or she needs to be fired immediately. In every business plan you do your flooring and each product should pay a certain amount per square ft each month and when the product fails to produce such figures its time ot rotate it out, but not before making an honest effort to offer the items for sale.

What you are saying very much compares to going to a dealer who carries two brands of cars and then the dealer says "ah you dont want that brand of car as they fall apart and our service on them sucks" You story is like a local spas builders tubs it simply doesnt hold water. So repeat it as often as you like it still doesnt make sense. ;)

Would ya mind backing the claim up with a name and phone number of who you spoke with as I have been talking to the major dealer in Chicago and he personally would like to know exactly who you are talking about. It just doesnt seem wise to spend thousands of dollars to have product sitting on your floor, and then not offering to sell it. If an employee is doing this he or she needs to be fired immediately. In every business plan you do your flooring and each product should pay a certain amount per square ft each month and when the product fails to produce such figures its time ot rotate it out, but not before making an honest effort to offer the items for sale.

What you are saying very much compares to going to a dealer who carries two brands of cars and then the dealer says "ah you dont want that brand of car as they fall apart and our service on them sucks" You story is like a local spas builders tubs it simply doesnt hold water. So repeat it as often as you like it still doesnt make sense. ;)

Yes, I'll back up the claim, but thru a PM.