Insulation

ed3120

I bought an Emerald Spa M570 this summer. Now that the winter months are approaching (I live in NJ), I was thinking about better insulating it. It is not a full foam spa. It has some spray insulations sprayed all over the bottom of the tub. The inside of the cabinet has a little bit of insulation sprayed on it, but not a lot.

Do people commonly add insulation to their tubs? Do I use spray kind, or more like wall insulation in rolls? Is this any kind of spray that I should use? I don't want to start a fire or mess something up.

I have about the same project coming up in the next 2 months or so.

From reading other messages my plan is as follows (some ideas might be to much for you, as our electricity is very expensive in Scotland):

Important: Make sure the pump motors do not get to hot I will test cabinet temparature afterwards and make adjustments (ventilation, maybe with tepm controlled ventilator or open vent when using hot tub and on warm summerday) if nessecary!

1: Put (waterresistant) 10mm underfloor isolating boards under hot tub

2: Air tighten cabinetdoors with insulation strips

3: Add 1 inch of styrofoam panels to inside of cabinet (doors) finished with reflextive bublewrap.

4: Add floating Spa cover onto the water.

5: Fill up 3/4 of hot tub (not the machine compartment) with waterresistent and easily removable) insulation material (empty plastic botles, bubblewrap).

I have about the same project coming up in the next 2 months or so.

From reading other messages my plan is as follows (some ideas mught be to much as electricity is very expensive in Scotland):

Important: Make sure the pump motors do not get to hot I will test cabinet temparature afterwards and make adjustments (ventilation, maybe with tepm controlled ventilator or open vent when using hot tub and on warm summerday) if nessecary!

1: Put (waterresistant) 10mm underfloor isolating boards under hot tub

2: Air tighten cabinetdoors with insulation strips

3: Add 1 inch of styrofoam panels to inside of cabinet (doors) finished with reflextive bublewrap.

4: Add floating Spa cover onto the water.

5: Fill up 3/4 of hot tub (not the machine compartment) with waterresistent and easily removable) insulation material (empty plastic botles, bubblewrap).

It's sounds like you are closing your tub and won't be using it for the winter. I plan to use mine, so I would be able to do step 5.

The next time a new shopper comes around and asks "Is there really a difference between full foam and Thermal pane?" I'll point them over tho this thread. ^_^

Someone here also mentioned filling garbage bags with packing peanuts.

I going to try that because I have bags and bags full from ordering stuff on the internet.

Cause hey, free insulation. And I can also take it out if I need to fix a leak or something.

I don't have peanuts, but I saw Home Depot sells the stuff for "blown in" insulation. You rent a blower and shoot this stuff in your attic. I thought I may use that stuff and fill some heavy garbage bags and pack in the areas that are less insulated. Probably take em out in the summer too.

Someone here also mentioned filling garbage bags with packing peanuts.

I going to try that because I have bags and bags full from ordering stuff on the internet.

Cause hey, free insulation. And I can also take it out if I need to fix a leak or something.

I don't have peanuts, but I saw Home Depot sells the stuff for "blown in" insulation. You rent a blower and shoot this stuff in your attic. I thought I may use that stuff and fill some heavy garbage bags and pack in the areas that are less insulated. Probably take em out in the summer too.

I'd be careful about the blown in insulation. Blown in insulation is usually cellulose, which is basically ground up paper. It's water absorbant. Even though you have it in plastic bags, one small rip and the stuff could become waterlogged easily. Plus, it's incredibly messy. If the bag ripped, you'd have that insulation everywhere.

Instead of buying blown insulation, why not buy packing peanuts. They sell them at shipping stores, like U-Haul, Self Storage warehouses, and other office supply stores. Maybe even look on Craigslist. There are always people on there looking to give away or sell peanuts.

The next time a new shopper comes around and asks "Is there really a difference between full foam and Thermal pane?" I'll point them over tho this thread. ^_^

Not all thermopanes are the same, some do not need added insulation.....

So garbage bags filled with styrofoam peanuts would be a safe solution for this? I would be will do that if the general consensus is that it is safe and effective.

Don't let them touch the motors/heater or anything that may get hot. South Pacific, a company that makes roto mold spas uses something similar to peanuts in a bag in their tubs.

Office stores sell bubble wrap in large rolls like 24" X 165'. I am thinking if I took about 15' and folded it over a few times so it is 4 layers thick and then used packing tape to keep its shape. I could stuff many of these "pads" around the open areas by the shell. It would be very water resistant, no pest concerns, and probably insulate fairly well.

Opinions?