Cd Ozone Question

minniemouse

My husband and I are shopping for our first hot tub. We have narrowed our choices down to Arctic and Hot Springs (which seems similar to a few folks who have posted comments on here). Neither of us are very knowledgeable about hot tubs (which is why we have been checking out this forum and others) and get lost in techno-speak. So please respond in layman's terms.

We know we want an ozone system in our tub. We know there is a difference between UV and CD systems, and we want the CD. But are there meaningful differences between CD ozone systems? Our Hot Springs dealer claims their Fresh Water III (Corona Discharge Cell) is superior to the Arctic Ozone (Corona Discharge Cartridge) and should really be compared to the old Arctic Peak Ozone system (which has been replaced by the Onzen System). Is this true? What is the difference between a 'cell' and a 'cartridge'? Our Arctic dealer told us that the Onzen System is a $250 upgrade, which makes the standard Fresh Water III look like a good deal. Is anybody else as confused as I am? Please help.

My husband and I are shopping for our first hot tub. We have narrowed our choices down to Arctic and Hot Springs (which seems similar to a few folks who have posted comments on here). Neither of us are very knowledgeable about hot tubs (which is why we have been checking out this forum and others) and get lost in techno-speak. So please respond in layman's terms.

We know we want an ozone system in our tub. We know there is a difference between UV and CD systems, and we want the CD. But are there meaningful differences between CD ozone systems? Our Hot Springs dealer claims their Fresh Water III (Corona Discharge Cell) is superior to the Arctic Ozone (Corona Discharge Cartridge) and should really be compared to the old Arctic Peak Ozone system (which has been replaced by the Onzen System). Is this true? What is the difference between a 'cell' and a 'cartridge'? Our Arctic dealer told us that the Onzen System is a $250 upgrade, which makes the standard Fresh Water III look like a good deal. Is anybody else as confused as I am? Please help.

Either Ozone system will be fine. Don't let the dealer spin steer your opinion. Ozone can not be used as a primary sanitizer and is not the miracle claimed by some. Determine a primary sanitizer and consider Ozone secondary to that. Let the comfort of the tub and in the dealer determine your choice.

An ozone system will not replace the need for sanitizing chemicals. It may help to reduce the amount of sanitizer that you need. The difference between a "cell" and a "cartridge" is about the difference between a "car" and an "automobile". I can't speak about FWIII, but I can tell you about Onzen. Onzen is more than ozone - it also uses salt to automatically create sanitizer. (Places that don't have a salt system may tell you it's no good - see this article.) In the US, Onzen also uses silver ions to inhibit bacteria growth. So our people sometimes call it a "triple threat" system. But even so, it will not provide total water care. You (the owner) will still need to do regular water testing, regular water maintenance (adding chemicals), and so on, whether with Onzen or FWIII. The idea is to make it a little easier. I hope that's clear and in "layman's terms".

As usual, Roger has got right to the point! You've picked two good units. Although I obviously have a bias, from a consumer's point of view whichever choice you make will be a good one.

Find out how much the price is for the total spa package (ozone, steps, cover lifter, etc.) and then get whichever spa you think is best assuming you feel comfortable with either dealer providing good service after the sale.