Marquis Epic Vs. Dimension One Chairman Ii

scash

I'm in the final stages of trying to decide between a Marquis Epic and a Dimension One Chairman II. I have been researching and reading forums over the past couple mos. I've wet tested both models and they are both very good. Very subjective, but I may like the Marquis slighly better. Seemed the pressure wasn't as strong. But really this is not a big factor. They were both great experiences.

So, I'm in GA, and the Marquis dealer offered me $1000 off list, so the offer is 8795 + tax for spa, delivery & set up, chemicals, cover with lifter, and step. I almost bought on the spot, but decided to hold off to test the Dimension One.

After testing the Chairman, I found it "listed at 12,995. So this was a no brainer for me. However the salesman offered the 05 floor model that I tested for $9995 including tax and also included step, liftcover delfvery etc. Is there such a thing as 'list price' ? Or is this just a ruse. It makes it seem like I'm getting a better deal...

So now, the difference is only about $600. Some of the things the Dimension One factory rep pushed that seemed interesting as differentiators:

1. Less mainitenance - ie you use this cartridge that uses silver. Only needs to be replaced once per 6 mos. No real chemicals needed unless you need to adjust ph. Said also put a teaspoon of chemical once per week.

2. Circulation Pump for constant clean water.

3. Automated speed control to vary the massage in the lounger seat to work from neck to feet. He calimed this electronics is $1500. I'm thinking it's potentially something that can go wrong, but I'd admit that it seemed nice in the test soak.

Other than that, the only thing the Marquis had that D1 did not was:

1. Wireless monitor to adjust the spa in doors. (The D1 guy said why do you need this? You always maintain the spa at the same temperature, no need to lower it when not using it because they are so efficient)

Basically, I liked both dealers. The D1 mfg rep happened to be in the store and was very knowledgeable, albeit a bit more pushy and passionate about the d1.

Can anyone provide any comment on the stated advantages over the Marquis? Are they advantages? Or potentially problems that can break? Also the UV bulb on the Ozonator for the D1, are these expensive to replace?

Any comments are welcome, I'd like to make a decision by the end of this weekend.

I'm detecting a lot of Baloney Sandwich from one of these salespeople.

I would also be very skeptical of someone dropping the price of the spa $3000 regardless of if it is last year's model or not. That sounds like a Little Tyke Spa or Thermospastic ploy.

They're both good spas from good manufacturer's, but the one guy is reaaaallllllyyyyyy stretching things a bit.

Good luck with your choice. You'll be happy with either. :)

Terminator

I would also be very skeptical of someone dropping the price of the spa $3000 regardless of if it is last year's model or not. That sounds like a Little Tyke Spa or Thermospastic ploy.

They're both good spas from good manufacturer's, but the one guy is reaaaallllllyyyyyy stretching things a bit.

Terminator

Terminator

Thanks for the comments. Interesting, that was the point that made me uneasy. Dropping it 3K. That's what makes me think 'list price' is baloney

Thanks for the comments. Interesting, that was the point that made me uneasy. Dropping it 3K. That's what makes me think 'list price' is baloney

They're working it for sure (i.e. the silver can be used on either, the sequencer isn't worth $1500 LOL, and MSRPs are inflated numbers so only pay attention to their offers not their "discounts"). The reality is both are good choices and you can't go wrong either way. You simply need to weigh the Marquis at it's price versus the D1 at it's price and go wtih whichver makes you feel best. In the end, you'll be happy with either.

One thing you might try is to ask each of them for their most recent invoice. If they say it's confidential tell them they can simply black out the address/name as you only want to see the date, pricing and specs. Both of these spas are big sellers for those makers so they should have multiple examples to make you feel good about what they're offereing and that info means a lot more than some MSRP.

They're working it for sure (i.e. the silver can be used on either, the sequencer isn't worth $1500 LOL, and MSRPs are inflated numbers so only pay attention to their offers not their "discounts"). The reality is both are good choices and you can't go wrong either way. You simply need to weigh the Marquis at it's price versus the D1 at it's price and go wtih whichver makes you feel best. In the end, you'll be happy with either.

One thing you might try is to ask each of them for their most recent invoice. If they say it's confidential tell them they can simply black out the address/name as you only want to see the date, pricing and specs. Both of these spas are big sellers for those makers so they should have multiple examples to make you feel good about what they're offereing and that info means a lot more than some MSRP.

My novice opinion: go with the new Chairman II, but tell the salesperson you want the '06 for $9995.

When I was looking for a hot tub, I tried the Chairman II It seems very well made and quite comfortable (though I personally preferred the non-lounger models). I was not able to wet test a Marquis as I had a rotten experience with the local Marquis dealer. However, I was not impressed by the layout of the tubs when dry. The D1 has well made jets that are all manually adjustable (can be turned on/off), which is a big plus. In addition, the jets felt very nice.

There is no reason to be asking more than $10k (everything included) for the new model Chairman II, period.

If you do decide on a D1, go for a D1 with a nice colored shell and not their white "ultralife" shell, or whatever it's called. IIRC, the regular shells are warrantied for ~7 years, and the ultralife shell is warrantied for life. However, outside of the first 7 years, you have to ship the shell to California (you pay shipping) for warrantied repair/replacement. Plus, the white shell is so drab! No *** appeal at all! :)

When I was looking, I was deciding between the D1 Nautilus and the Caldera Niagra. I ended up going with the Niagra, simply because I could not get a colored Nautilus without having to wait 12 weeks. If I had my druthers, I would have picked up a D1 in the ?graphite? color with the chrome jets. *very sharp*

Hope this helps!

-D

Moderator,

Are you saying that some dealers will show you invoice prices for what they paid for the spa from the factory?

Thats a very easy choice for me D1 ChairmanII! I am a D1 dealer in dallas and my LIST price for a Chairman II is 12,950. If you have a chance to by a floor model for 9950 I would jump all over it! Good luck check out

I'm in the final stages of trying to decide between a Marquis Epic and a Dimension One Chairman II. I have been researching and reading forums over the past couple mos. I've wet tested both models and they are both very good. Very subjective, but I may like the Marquis slighly better. Seemed the pressure wasn't as strong. But really this is not a big factor. They were both great experiences.

So, I'm in GA, and the Marquis dealer offered me $1000 off list, so the offer is 8795 + tax for spa, delivery & set up, chemicals, cover with lifter, and step. I almost bought on the spot, but decided to hold off to test the Dimension One.

After testing the Chairman, I found it "listed at 12,995. So this was a no brainer for me. However the salesman offered the 05 floor model that I tested for $9995 including tax and also included step, liftcover delfvery etc. Is there such a thing as 'list price' ? Or is this just a ruse. It makes it seem like I'm getting a better deal...

So now, the difference is only about $600. Some of the things the Dimension One factory rep pushed that seemed interesting as differentiators:

1. Less mainitenance - ie you use this cartridge that uses silver. Only needs to be replaced once per 6 mos. No real chemicals needed unless you need to adjust ph. Said also put a teaspoon of chemical once per week.

2. Circulation Pump for constant clean water.

3. Automated speed control to vary the massage in the lounger seat to work from neck to feet. He calimed this electronics is $1500. I'm thinking it's potentially something that can go wrong, but I'd admit that it seemed nice in the test soak.

Other than that, the only thing the Marquis had that D1 did not was:

1. Wireless monitor to adjust the spa in doors. (The D1 guy said why do you need this? You always maintain the spa at the same temperature, no need to lower it when not using it because they are so efficient)

Basically, I liked both dealers. The D1 mfg rep happened to be in the store and was very knowledgeable, albeit a bit more pushy and passionate about the d1.

Can anyone provide any comment on the stated advantages over the Marquis? Are they advantages? Or potentially problems that can break? Also the UV bulb on the Ozonator for the D1, are these expensive to replace?

Any comments are welcome, I'd like to make a decision by the end of this weekend.

Both are well made spas by respected manufactures. You might want to ask the D-1 sales person about some magic beans and a boy named jack or if the D-1 one comes with magic water as Hot water needs to be sanitized and the bigger mineral stick in the D-1 is just a large Nature -2 cartridge. Marquis offers something very similar with the frog but with the frog you can use either bromine or Dichlor. Therapy wise I think you will have a tough time matching the Epic particularly because of the therapy pillar and its almost limitless ways that allow you to reach just about any body area you wish with it.

I purchased a Dimension One Californian for $8700 in Nov 05. The Diplomat II was about 2000 more, so the price of 9900 sounds like a good buy.

We ended up with the ultralife shell, the "drab white" color. Yes, even though the company may require you to pay shipping for a failure, the track record for these types of shells must be good, which is why they have a lifetime warranty, and so therefore, I will most likely have lower chance of failure. The effort to replace a failing tub sounded like more work, headache, and anxiety then I would want to go through with, even if it was covered. I've had two colored shell spa's before this. I don't mind the white at all, and at night with colored lights, it is still an appealing setting. My wife likes the white because it looks "clean".

A wireless remote for tub functions wouldn't be of much value to me. Regarding chemicals, it all depends on usage and cleanliness. We love our D1 tub. We use a vision cartridge (silver cartridge), and with regular maitnenance, our water is almost always clear and odor free.

We get about 4 to 4.5 months of use out of our water before a new fill is required. Each time I have pitched the old vision cartidge, and started with a new one.

Hope this helps.

I purchased a Dimension One Californian for $8700 in Nov 05. The Diplomat II was about 2000 more, so the price of 9900 sounds like a good buy.

We ended up with the ultralife shell, the "drab white" color. Yes, even though the company may require you to pay shipping for a failure, the track record for these types of shells must be good, which is why they have a lifetime warranty, and so therefore, I will most likely have lower chance of failure. The effort to replace a failing tub sounded like more work, headache, and anxiety then I would want to go through with, even if it was covered. I've had two colored shell spa's before this. I don't mind the white at all, and at night with colored lights, it is still an appealing setting. My wife likes the white because it looks "clean".

A wireless remote for tub functions wouldn't be of much value to me. Regarding chemicals, it all depends on usage and cleanliness. We love our D1 tub. We use a vision cartridge (silver cartridge), and with regular maitnenance, our water is almost always clear and odor free.

We get about 4 to 4.5 months of use out of our water before a new fill is required. Each time I have pitched the old vision cartidge, and started with a new one.

Hope this helps.

Whats the cost for the vision cartridge? You are correct in saying you change it at water changes to the best of my understanding all mineral cartridges should be changed at fresh fills.

Whats the cost for the vision cartridge? You are correct in saying you change it at water changes to the best of my understanding all mineral cartridges should be changed at fresh fills.

Thanks for all the comments! This site is really great. We decided on the Marquis Epic. Basically we realized we couldn't go wrong. The Marquis seats really fit us better than the D1. While we really liked the Dynamic Sequience for the lounger, the Marquis offered the ability to manually adjust a similar type of Massage, and given the better fit, that's what pushed us over the edge.

Looking forward to delivery in 3 weeks.

• 2 years later...