Circulation Pump Clunking Noise?

Hi all,

I had another thread regarding slow heat up times. But I am noticing strange behavior from the circulation pump. It seems a bit louder than I would expect (i have nothing to compare it to though). It has intermittent clunking noises that come and go. The spa finally got up to temp and it then the pump constantly was making a rythmic louder noise...similar to a loud dishwasher or washing machine. I wouldn't think this is normal operating behaviour. When sitting 12' away at the patio..it is quite noticable and annoying, so my guess is that it is not normal. I then shut off the breakers for a few seconds and turned everything back on. The noise goes away for the most part. I am baffled?

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot the issue. I have a feeling this is contributing to my 24 hour heatup time. Could be be clogged or have something stuck in the pump? Any way to easily check or clean it out without draining the spa and taking it all apart?

Thanks,

JD

Hi all,

I had another thread regarding slow heat up times. But I am noticing strange behavior from the circulation pump. It seems a bit louder than I would expect (i have nothing to compare it to though). It has intermittent clunking noises that come and go. The spa finally got up to temp and it then the pump constantly was making a rythmic louder noise...similar to a loud dishwasher or washing machine. I wouldn't think this is normal operating behaviour. When sitting 12' away at the patio..it is quite noticable and annoying, so my guess is that it is not normal. I then shut off the breakers for a few seconds and turned everything back on. The noise goes away for the most part. I am baffled?

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot the issue. I have a feeling this is contributing to my 24 hour heatup time. Could be be clogged or have something stuck in the pump? Any way to easily check or clean it out without draining the spa and taking it all apart?

Thanks,

JD

On most spas you have to drain the spa to remove the circ pump. It might be that the impeller inside the pump is clogged with debris. This will make the pump work harder to heat and make noise. Sometimes if the pump has clear hoses going to it, I have clamped the hoses with vice grips to work on or replaced the circ pump. It stops enough water to work on them. Looks like I would start by taking the front off the pump and chek the impeller