How Do You Decide When To Change Water?

How do you decide when to change water  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your drain and refill strategy?

• Every 3 months on the dot
    • Every (some other number) on the dot
    • On a staggered schedule depending on usage
    • When the water gets "sluggish" (persistent bubble caused cloudiness after jets are off)
    • When pH/TA become harder to maintain
    • When foaming becomes troublesome
    • Other

I'm just curious. I am tending to do it when I start to realize the water isn't nearly as "nice" as it was last time I did a drain and fill, which is somewhere between 3 and 6 months depending on usage. My husband typically thinks we should be getting a bit more out time out of each fill and I tend to think we should be changing it more often to keep it "perfect", not waiting until the water is "less nice". So I'm wondering what most people actually do in practice.

I'm just curious. I am tending to do it when I start to realize the water isn't nearly as "nice" as it was last time I did a drain and fill, which is somewhere between 3 and 6 months depending on usage. My husband typically thinks we should be getting a bit more out time out of each fill and I tend to think we should be changing it more often to keep it "perfect", not waiting until the water is "less nice". So I'm wondering what most people actually do in practice.

Once a season, so 4 times a year wether it looks like it needs it or not. The Total disolved solids TDS get so to high and you start using more chemicals. Water is cheaper. Don't forget to clean the filter. Hose off once a month. chemically clean every time you change the water.

Handy Formulas

First, divide your total spa gallons by 3. Divide this result by your Bather Load, which is the average number of bathers per day. The final result is the estimated number of days between water changes recommended for a properly maintained spa or hot tub.

Example...my spa.....

540/3=180/2=90 days

2 people using it everyday, 540 gallons.

Please keep in mind that these are estimated guidelines only. The formulas assume that your hot tub spa is properly maintained, and water is balanced and sanitized. Other factors such as user hygiene and local water quality will also affect drain intervals. If users shower before using the spa, water changing intervals will be longer. Local regulations may govern water change intervals for commercial spas.

Most homeowners change every 3-4 months depending on spa use. My water starts to feel "thick" after about 3 months, we use the spa most every night. The formula runs true with us.

300/3=100/(.5-1) = 100-200 days

We have slipped from both of us every day to somewhere between once every other day to a couple times a week, especially when the air temp is near the tub temp! So my interval isn't completely crazy. Fascinating, captain!

• 2 weeks later...

For me, living in Vermont, a change in the winter isn't really practical, so I try to get one in in November and one as early as possible in the spring (usually late March or early April); other than that, once every 3 month-ish, or when foaming is a consistent problem, which ever comes first.

We have a small spa (215 gal) and because it is new to us, the 2 of us are in it at least a couple of times a day. We have 2 kids that use it occasionally. With the formula above, I should change the water every 18 days ! Sounds a bit much. But that's why I visit this forum. Never would've known.

thanks,

jeff