Just Wanted To Say Thanks!

We were all set to order a Gulf Coast Spa today. But, last night I searched the internet and found this forum and boy am I glad I did. We don't want to spend a fortune, but we want what we do buy to work and have repair options when it doesn't. So thanks to all of you who share your opinions and experiences! Tomorrow I'll be out shopping for a new hot tub. From reading your posts I have a list of what seems to be good choices. This should be fun!

We were all set to order a Gulf Coast Spa today. But, last night I searched the internet and found this forum and boy am I glad I did. We don't want to spend a fortune, but we want what we do buy to work and have repair options when it doesn't. So thanks to all of you who share your opinions and experiences! Tomorrow I'll be out shopping for a new hot tub. From reading your posts I have a list of what seems to be good choices. This should be fun!

It’s always good to see people research their purchases BEFORE they make them. Far too often we see people come on this site or one of the others and say "I wish I'd found this site before I made the mistake of buying a ....."

Sorry if I did not get it, but why did you decide against Gulf Coast? My husband & I are going to wet test GC Monday.

1) They are not known for quality.

2) They are going to tout their 24/7 phone help as a plus for you. The problem is that its purpose is to try to get YOU to fix your own spa with their help over the phone. From what many owners have reported, you'll have a tough time getting them to come out to service it under warranty in person.

Sorry if I did not get it, but why did you decide against Gulf Coast? My husband & I are going to wet test GC Monday.

1) They are not known for quality.

2) They are going to tout their 24/7 phone help as a plus for you. The problem is that its purpose is to try to get YOU to fix your own spa with their help over the phone. From what many owners have reported, you'll have a tough time getting them to come out to service it under warranty in person.

After reading the reviews on this site and other places on the internet we decided we wanted to be able to depend on someone actually coming to the house if anything goes wrong. That's probably the main reason we decided against Gulf Coast. That and the fact we've never actually seen a Gulf Coast spa. We thought it would be stupid to buy something we've never even seen. Our area is limited as to the brands we had to choose from, but we did check out three of the top spas recommended here. We own a business and it's difficult to get away. This spa is for our relaxation not for us to work on. We work enough as it is. We ended up buying the Sundance Chelsee. DH just loves the foot massagers. He's been outside in the heat all day getting things ready to pour the pad. I know he's just dreaming of jumping into that spa the next time he's had a hard day.

• 2 weeks later...

Spa was delivered today and DH is in the process of hooking it up. I'll post pics when I get a chance. For now, I have what is probably a stupid question. There are little showercap type covers on the suction fittings. Do they stay on? So far from what I've seen the books are less than helpful, but I knew you all would have the answers.

Congrats on the delivery of your new bundle of joy. I envy you, I have about 3 weeks till mine arrives. The guy at the dealer told me that the "shower caps" on the intakes are just to filter out any hair before it hits the real filter. I don't know if you should leave it on or not. I would think that you would want to take it off because it might stop you from getting a good flow of water intake. But I not 100% sure. Maybe someone else has some more info on this.

I too am so glad I found this site prior to my purchase. As I like to always say "Timing is everything".

Hope you got your rubber duckie ready?? Its bad luck if a rubber duckie is not the first one in a new spa.

Congrats on the delivery of your new bundle of joy. I envy you, I have about 3 weeks till mine arrives. The guy at the dealer told me that the "shower caps" on the intakes are just to filter out any hair before it hits the real filter. I don't know if you should leave it on or not. I would think that you would want to take it off because it might stop you from getting a good flow of water intake. But I not 100% sure. Maybe someone else has some more info on this.

I too am so glad I found this site prior to my purchase. As I like to always say "Timing is everything".

Hope you got your rubber duckie ready?? Its bad luck if a rubber duckie is not the first one in a new spa.

Thank goodness I read your reply Wet in ChiTown! I didn't know about the duckie. DS (who is home for a visit from ChiTown) just left to find washers for DH, a rubber duckie and a remote controlled boat. He's 33, but is as excited as a 10 year old. DH just wants to get the thing up and running!

Spa was delivered today and DH is in the process of hooking it up. I'll post pics when I get a chance. For now, I have what is probably a stupid question. There are little showercap type covers on the suction fittings. Do they stay on? So far from what I've seen the books are less than helpful, but I knew you all would have the answers.

Leave the "showercaps" prefilters on untill they get real dirty. Then replace them or don't your call. They will help to keep your water clear.

Leave the "showercaps" prefilters on untill they get real dirty. Then replace them or don't your call. They will help to keep your water clear.

Thanks Roger! I called the place we purchased the spa and they said the shower caps filter hair and other stuff. So, they were left on. DS turned on the jets before the spa was full and water went flying and got DH soaked. It was hysterical! Water flew everywhere. Now we have the top on while it heats up. It's 9:50PM and the temperature is 74. Everyone's determined to get in before the night is over. We'll see!

Well, we couldn't get the chemicals right before we pooped out last night, so we're trying again today. Now we're getting an F1 code meaning there's an air lock. The dealer thinks it's because the jets were turned on before the spa was full and said to shut off power and then turn back on. We tried this and it didn't work. The only time we get the F1 code is when the waterfall is off. When it's on, it's just fine. Suggestions?

Well, we couldn't get the chemicals right before we pooped out last night, so we're trying again today. Now we're getting an F1 code meaning there's an air lock. The dealer thinks it's because the jets were turned on before the spa was full and said to shut off power and then turn back on. We tried this and it didn't work. The only time we get the F1 code is when the waterfall is off. When it's on, it's just fine. Suggestions?

Also just how long does it take to get the chemicals right? I followed the initial filling instructions last night, but everything is off the charts today. PH way too high, chlorine is 0, alkalinity is very high. The only thing that looked right was the cyanuric acid. Whatever that is. We can't use the spa until the chemicals are right, right? DS is really going to be upset if he has to go home tonight before he can get in the spa.

Also just how long does it take to get the chemicals right? I followed the initial filling instructions last night, but everything is off the charts today. PH way too high, chlorine is 0, alkalinity is very high. The only thing that looked right was the cyanuric acid. Whatever that is. We can't use the spa until the chemicals are right, right? DS is really going to be upset if he has to go home tonight before he can get in the spa.

Dealer told DH to put a shot glass full of muratic acid in to take care of AK and PH. But now we have a ring around the spa just at the waterline. What's that? When does the fun begin? I'm sure once we figure these chemicals out we'll have some fun, but this is more complicated than I thought.

Poor DS has to leave without even getting wet.

New tubs have oils in the plastics ect. This may be what is causing the ring. It will also chew up your chlorine quickly. Most people have to drain their tub after a month on their first intial fill. Between getting all the new oils out of the tub and being new to water chemistry the first month is the hardest. Soon after you will get an understanding of everything, how your personal use and body chemistry effect it you will become more comfortable with it and it will be a breeze....Enjoy your new tub

New tubs have oils in the plastics ect. This may be what is causing the ring. It will also chew up your chlorine quickly. Most people have to drain their tub after a month on their first intial fill. Between getting all the new oils out of the tub and being new to water chemistry the first month is the hardest. Soon after you will get an understanding of everything, how your personal use and body chemistry effect it you will become more comfortable with it and it will be a breeze....Enjoy your new tub

When I get the PH to where I want it, should I use some of that PH Stabilizer I've read about?