Budgeting For An Electrician

doc

New to the hot tub market and the forum. Currently finalizing plans for our backyard. I would like to put in a 220 for the spa. We have about 100 LF from the box to the the spa location. Any ideas on how much it will cost to run the line? Thanks.

Good question... to which I look forward to hearing an answer as well. My budget is too limited for a tub at this time, but I thought I'd do the next best thing and prepare my landscaping for an eventual spa. Two years ago when we replaced our electrical panel I also had the electrician dig the ditch and lay the piping for electrical -- all the way across my back yard. He suggested at the time that he didn't run the copper, but I'm now considering getting it all set up. He ran the permits at the time. Currently I'm getting bids for a large area to be converted to concrete paving stones. I think I should likely have the electrical work complete before that is installed, right? How far from the spa itself is the electrical "post" (not sure of the term) to be?

Good question... to which I look forward to hearing an answer as well. My budget is too limited for a tub at this time, but I thought I'd do the next best thing and prepare my landscaping for an eventual spa. Two years ago when we replaced our electrical panel I also had the electrician dig the ditch and lay the piping for electrical -- all the way across my back yard. He suggested at the time that he didn't run the copper, but I'm now considering getting it all set up. He ran the permits at the time. Currently I'm getting bids for a large area to be converted to concrete paving stones. I think I should likely have the electrical work complete before that is installed, right? How far from the spa itself is the electrical "post" (not sure of the term) to be?

Well I guess it all depends were you live, but here in PA $500-1000 bucks. Get some estimates from electricians

Okay,

I recently had a 240v 50A line ran to my new spa. The run was about 70 feet from the box, and there was no trenching / conduit required. The electrician went through my attic and into the back yard (less expensive route) the cost was $700.00 +tax. I live in New Mexico and the quotes I got from some of the "recommended" electricians (recommended by the spa dealers) were much higher. I just called a few contractors and got a few bids. I have had no problems with the electrical and the guy was done in just a few hours. My personal experience with the "recommended" electricians was very negative. It was difficult to get anyone to respond to my phone calls, or even get a "ball park" estimate. I guess they were just too busy to need my money. Hope this helps..... BTW a dealer will probably say something like "you need an electrician that specializes in spas" ...Not...my electrician had never done a spa, he read the instructions, and it couldn't have been easier for him.

New to the hot tub market and the forum. Currently finalizing plans for our backyard. I would like to put in a 220 for the spa. We have about 100 LF from the box to the the spa location. Any ideas on how much it will cost to run the line? Thanks.

The wire alone will run you ~$250 assuming you use #6. The sub panel (Cutler Hammer) will be ~$85 for a 60 amp. The conduit would be ~$80 depending on what you use.

The rest is all labor.

Wow quite a bit more than I'd have expected.

Putting in a breaker is a 5 minute job. Pulling wire is easy.

Now trenching/conduit is labor intensive (costly).

I will be getting quote(s) for mine, I'll post it (its just going to have to run across the basement to the outside wall probably 50' wire or so). Don't most spas include the subpanel? If its too high I will just do it myself--not something I'd recommend if you don't have any electrical training though (I am an Electrical Engineer).

My run was about 80 feet and installation included the main panel breaker, a sub-panel outside with 50A GFCI breaker and about a ten foot run in the ground to the tub. Cost was in the $650 range. Guy was already at my house replacing the roof so that would typically lower the cost. Seemed reasonable after simply pricing the components.

6/3 wire @ 2.90/ft @ Home Depot......50amp breaker @ main panel.........Conneticut Electric 50 amp Spa Disconnect Panel @ $ 90.......gray 1" conduit to run 6/3 wire.......a little trenching to spa........gray flex conduit to run into spa& there you have it.......

The DIY'er can save a lot of money wiring themselves......it is not that tough of a job......two hots...neutral....& ground....... a little reading & anyone can do it.......

But for the faint at heart, leave the job to an licensed electrican......Prevent Electrocution.......