Another New Guy From Long Island Looking For Spa Advice

DjPiLL

Ok couple new notes. I went to the Arctic dealer and wet tested the Tundra. Hated it. Had all kinds of issues with where I would put my feet. In order to put my feet on the floor to hit the jets, my knees would be so close to my body it was majorly uncomfortable. If I extended my legs out I didnt get the benefit of any foot jets and I had trouble staying in place (was floating out of some seats).

They also had a Kodiak that I was able to wet test. The Kodiak wasn't as bad, but the dealer screwed up the chemical mix. He dropped in some chlorine right before I got there. The water was practically green. I sat in there for a little bit but I couldn't stay in there for long. I wasn't too impressed with the Kodiak anyways.

But with talking to the Arctic dealer, I found out that he is actually taking over selling the Sundance and will start to sell Arctic along with Sundance. This makes total sense as the other dealer that had the Sundances on the floor was trying to push Cal Spa. He said he was getting the Maxxus in and will have that ready for wet testing next week. This dealer also said they would fill anything they had on the floor if I wanted to wet test (this is the only dealer in my area willing to do this).

So since he was getting Sundance in, I decided to go back to the other dealer that also sold Cal Spa since I already had my trunks with me and I wet tested the Sundance Cameo. I liked the Cameo. Nice little spa. The lounge was nice. Seats were ok. But the headrests were hard as a rock. :( This was a 2007 model. Are the 2008 models getting a better headrest?

I also tried one of their Cal Spas, wasn't really that impressed. When the Arctic dealer gets the Maxxus in he is filling it and I will try that (hopefully later this week).

Now the decision is getting more difficult. Sundance or Hot Springs?

DjPiLL

Not sure how many people you are considering using the hot tub (other than your wife) but consider that a lounger will take up space for one additional body.

One other thought you might want to consider is COSTCO. The Pilates is worth looking into. Last year the price dropped to $6k with steps and a cover lifter included (also free shipping). Spa sales folks hate the competion as it clearly adds competition. Check out the construction, jets insulation, etc. For the money, it's a great deal. Only downfall is that you can't wet test the models! Just another thought! Good luck!

Artic Spa dealer - Said all spas were 10,500 if I wanted them in the Legend Extreme trim. They also had Jacuzzi models J-355 would be 8,400 after 8.5% tax.

Is the quote on the Arctic in USD ?

Is tax included in the 10.500 $ or is the price without tax.

My Canadian Arctic dealer is asking 9.500 CAD for a 7ft.

Arctic Cub Signature + Tax without any options....

I went to the Arctic dealer and wet tested the Tundra. Hated it. Had all kinds of issues with where I would put my feet. In order to put my feet on the floor to hit the jets, my knees would be so close to my body it was majorly uncomfortable. If I extended my legs out I didnt get the benefit of any foot jets and I had trouble staying in place (was floating out of some seats).

Feedback like this is invaluable to us in planning future revisions or new designs. The Tundra is an award-winning design (2003 Autodesk International Design Award) but clearly missed the mark for you. I'd appreciate a PM with some further details.

Artic Spa dealer - Said all spas were 10,500 if I wanted them in the Legend Extreme trim. They also had Jacuzzi models J-355 would be 8,400 after 8.5% tax.

Is the quote on the Arctic in USD ?

Is tax included in the 10.500 $ or is the price without tax.

My Canadian Arctic dealer is asking 9.500 CAD for a 7ft.

Arctic Cub Signature + Tax without any options....

Price in USD before tax I believe. They said that all their tubs were the same price, the price is determined by the amount of jets installed.

Hi... Have you found what you're looking for yet? If not, try Hot Shots on 110. They have Caldera and Dynasty Spas. We didn't shop as much as you, but we did our research and felt very comfortable with the Dynasty spa and the dealer. We purchased a 2007 Camelot 4000 floor model for $6,500 - they're normally about $1000. more. If you haven't made your decision already it wouldn't hurt to check them out. Good Luck!

Hi... Have you found what you're looking for yet? If not, try Hot Shots on 110. They have Caldera and Dynasty Spas. We didn't shop as much as you, but we did our research and felt very comfortable with the Dynasty spa and the dealer. We purchased a 2007 Camelot 4000 floor model for $6,500 - they're normally about $1000. more. If you haven't made your decision already it wouldn't hurt to check them out. Good Luck!

I went to my Arctic dealer that is now selling Sundances as well today. I wet tested the Maxxus. It was "ok", but the thought of an enormous electric bill scares me. Dealer wanted 11k for it before haggling so that's probably not an option.

I told him I liked the Cameo that I wet tested in another dealer. He said 8500 plus tax cash or credit for the Cameo.

I have to admit that I think I still liked the Vista better, however there is now a $1500 price difference between the Cameo and the Vista and my wife is starting to get involved. She wants to know why we would pay $1500 more for a Hot Springs. Of course she doesn't feel the need to wet test regardless of my wishes but that's a battle I am not winning so I leave it alone.

I don't know if it's worth the difference. The one thing I love about the Hot Springs tubs are the headrests. I just find them very comfortable compared to the rock hard headrests every other dealer pretty much has. Can I get the Cameo and get different headrests or pillows? Are they comfortable?

Ugh now I don't know what to do. I wish the HS dealer would lower his price on the Vista.

[ugh now I don't know what to do. I wish the HS dealer would lower his price on the Vista.

I too am in your boat as an almost buyer and also your neighborhood on Long Island. I too feel the squeeze as far as no give in the prices at Hot Springs. I have been up and down 110, and wet tested and not wet test more tubs than I want to think about. Vanguard, Cameo, Optima, Cal Spa, Envoy, Soverign to name just a few.

This is what I have been able to find out. Even in this economy, HS doesn't really seem to care. They have a product and a price- if you want it fine, if not they don't seem to be interested in playing ball at all. The package includes the steps and startup chemicals and cover. The coverlifter is additional. IF this were any other time I might be able to simply say they don't need to come down at all because they have a great product but in this economy with oil and gas prices what they are, to find people with the desire to spend this amount of money seems amazing.

I was rather surprised when I started this search a few weeks ago to find that business is so good they are able to let a person looking to spend around 10k walk out for the sake of a cover lifter. Doesn't make sense to me at all. There wasn't even an attempt to reduce the cost of the lifter. In addition, I had to make a few trips there since the sales force seems a bit thin and the chemical person was the only one there. I am debating if I will hold off and buy later in the year or just bite the bullet and buy the Sundance, even though I liked the HS a teeny bit better. I agree the headrests are nicer.

Will continue to ponder til after Memorial Day now for sure, and maybe til July 4th.

Have you made a decision.

I was rather surprised when I started this search a few weeks ago to find that business is so good they are able to let a person looking to spend around 10k walk out for the sake of a cover lifter. Doesn't make sense to me at all. There wasn't even an attempt to reduce the cost of the lifter. In addition, I had to make a few trips there since the sales force seems a bit thin and the chemical person was the only one there. I am debating if I will hold off and buy later in the year or just bite the bullet and buy the Sundance, even though I liked the HS a teeny bit better. I agree the headrests are nicer.

Will continue to ponder til after Memorial Day now for sure, and maybe til July 4th.

Have you made a decision.

Hey there. Good to see another Long Island guy looking.

I'll tell you one thing though, I got them to include a basic cover lifter at HS when we were negotiating. So push for that. Price was still $9995 and 3% off if I paid cash.

I am a little aggrevated because I feel that I did get good deals on two tubs ($8900 for an Envoy they said was new $500 off discount and $8500 for a Sundance Cameo which is a great deal from the Arctic dealer that is now selling Sundance as well). But the problem is I am not entirely happy with either of those two choices. I hated the Envoy. The Cameo was nice, but the headrests bothered me.

I haven't made a decision yet, although my electrician has started the process of running the electric so I am definitely getting something at some point. Maybe I have to show these people that I am really a "serious buyer". Maybe i'll take a picture of my electrical hookup and bring it in. ;-)

The Arctic dealer is really hot for my business. But I dunno. Are there any decent aftermarket headrest "pillows" out there?

I don't know if it's worth the difference. The one thing I love about the Hot Springs tubs are the headrests. I just find them very comfortable

Step back. You're buying this thing for comfort. I think if you go and get down to brass tacks with the hotsrpings dealer, you might be able to get a bit more in line. Tell him you are ready to buy today and need him to get to a certain price. maybe he cam meet you half way.?

I was rather surprised when I started this search a few weeks ago to find that business is so good they are able to let a person looking to spend around 10k walk out for the sake of a cover lifter. Doesn't make sense to me at all. There wasn't even an attempt to reduce the cost of the lifter.

You state that you had started your search a few weeks ago and were willing to spend 10K but the dealer let you walk over a cover lifter. Honestly?

Sounds like you were not ready to buy if you were admittedly starting your search. It's easy to type on here that you were ready to spend 10K, but did you tell the dealer that you were ready to buy? If so then it's their bad for not closing the deal by throwing in the lifter. I would sell any tub in the store for $10K with lifter, stairs,etc.

Good luck in your search.

Love my Jacuzzi, was torn between them and Coleman when a friend of mine told me the customer service at Coleman was poor so my advise is check out Rte 110 Artic Spa dealer, WET TEST is a MUST, at first I wasn't comfortable, however how will you know if you or your wife want as lounge seat? When I first started looking I was sure I HAD to have lounge after testing I was sure I didn't. Info already given on music is correct, also correct is once you get in all you want to do is relax, I love to read, but can't find a way to that in the spa. I took out a pool to have the spa and it is one of the best decisions I made. Lots of luck :)

Just wanted to chime in having just found this particular forum. My hubby and I have a Hot Springs in the family (brother) and they love it. We did the 110 in Farmingdale drive and checked out all the spa places knowing that our only real choice was going to boil down to a Sundance or Hot Springs.

We wanted a "smaller" rather than larger tub as it is just the 2 of us and we thought we wanted the lounge seat since dear brother didn't have it. Last weekend we wet tested the Vanguard and Envoy with the lounge. Our original thought was that the Soverign would work just fine but it couldn't be wet tested so that concerned me. We started with the Envoy and then hopped to the Vanguard and back and forth. We fell in love with the Envoy and spent the next jump in and out trying to decide if we could be happy with the Soverign. We loved the lounger and the foot jets an the moto massage - Ahhhhh!!!!!

Brian at Ocean Spray Hot Springs could not have been nicer and even indicated that he thought we would be just as happy in the smaller tub. Not what you would expect from a salesman!!!

In the end we decided upon the Envoy - you only live once and we are trying to do a good deed for the country and spend our stimulus check!!!! Since that was the difference between the Soverign and the Envoy we decided to bite the bullet.. The wet test was the deal breaker even between the Vanguard and the Envoy and we can't wait to start to bubble. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

In the end we decided upon the Envoy - you only live once and we are trying to do a good deed for the country and spend our stimulus check!!!! Since that was the difference between the Soverign and the Envoy we decided to bite the bullet.. The wet test was the deal breaker even between the Vanguard and the Envoy and we can't wait to start to bubble. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

Hi there. Mind i ask how much the Envoy ran you at Ocean Spray?

Thanks.

I am a little aggrevated because I feel that I did get good deals on two tubs ($8900 for an Envoy they said was new $500 off discount and $8500 for a Sundance Cameo which is a great deal from the Arctic dealer that is now selling Sundance as well). But the problem is I am not entirely happy with either of those two choices. I hated the Envoy. The Cameo was nice, but the headrests bothered me.

I haven't made a decision yet, although my electrician has started the process of running the electric so I am definitely getting something at some point. Maybe I have to show these people that I am really a "serious buyer". Maybe i'll take a picture of my electrical hookup and bring it in. ;-)

The Arctic dealer is really hot for my business. But I dunno. Are there any decent aftermarket headrest "pillows" out there?

There are weighted pillows out there that in my opinion are more comfortable than any of the spa pillows as you can sit up straighter and rest your head against the pillow. Once our pillows degrade we will probably replace with the weighted pillow. Do not abandon your spa choice due to the pillows. Ask almost any dealer and they will remove the pillow and replace it with weighted pillows that they usually have on hand. no dealer will let you out of the store if your only issue is the pillow.

Good luck

Link is here. Poola and spa I want a commision

http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/product000668000001.cfm

Hi there. Mind i ask how much the Envoy ran you at Ocean Spray?

Thanks.

The whole Magilla inc tax and the covermate III (upgrade to covermate III for $100,) was $9879.

We are very pleased with the experience thus far. I did find it disconcerting that we couldn't wet test the Soverign, but after calling all dealers from Yonkers to the Hamptons and none had it filled we had to either go with it or not.

Sure, after purchasing it we would get "used" to the feel of the Soverign and love it, especially when not in direct comparison to the Envoy. But to spend almost $8000 on something we couldn't wet test seemed "dumber" then spending more and knowing we were happy!!! We really didn't care for the Vanguard and were concerned that if we could dislike that one so much - what would we feel like if we bought the Soverign and hated it.

Since we figure this will last a minimum of 10 years with care - it was roughly a $100 a year or at the rate we are going a tank of gas and since we are all going to be stuck home might as well be able to be able to "tub". :rolleyes::P

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

I still haven't purchased the tub yet. I was on vacation last week so that held things up and I didn't have time to go this past weekend.

I wonder if the price for the tub changed at all. Does anyone know if Hot Springs is running any new June Specials? With my luck they probably raised their prices. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just a little update.

Last weekend I finally went over to the Marquis dealer that has their showroom located in the middle of nowhere (off the main road where all the spa dealers are).

I wet tested the Epic and man I was impressed with the Jets. I liked the lounge. I also liked the seat on the other side of the filter from the lounge. I could sit in that seat and extend my legs out and get defined foot therapy as well without having to sit at an angle from a corner seat. The fact that these two seats face straight instead of an angle was a huge plus for me.

The only thing I didn't like about the Epic was the price. Dealer wanted 11k for a signature which I thought was unrealistic. The owner wasn't there when I went so the sales guy said to call the owner and see if he could work on the price. I did and he gave me a good price. Not bad. He said he had a few in stock too that had the constellation lighting that would add 600 to the price. Of course the only issue I had with the Epic was the hard headrests. But I bought a weighted spa pillow so that will probably help.

The day after I saw the Epic the Sundance dealer offered me a Cameo for 8000. He is hot for my business. Only problem is I sat in the Cameo again for the second time and I was very unimpressed with the jets after sitting in the Epic.

So I might be going back to the Marquis dealer tomorrow to try the Epic again and this time ill bring my spa pillow.

We'll see what happens. :D

Ok just a little update.

Last weekend I finally went over to the Marquis dealer that has their showroom located in the middle of nowhere (off the main road where all the spa dealers are).

I wet tested the Epic and man I was impressed with the Jets. I liked the lounge. I also liked the seat on the other side of the filter from the lounge. I could sit in that seat and extend my legs out and get defined foot therapy as well without having to sit at an angle from a corner seat. The fact that these two seats face straight instead of an angle was a huge plus for me.

The only thing I didn't like about the Epic was the price. Dealer wanted 11k for a signature which I thought was unrealistic. The owner wasn't there when I went so the sales guy said to call the owner and see if he could work on the price. I did and right now he knocked the price down to $**** Not bad. He said he had a few in stock too that had the constellation lighting that would add 600 to the price. Of course the only issue I had with the Epic was the hard headrests. But I bought a weighted spa pillow so that will probably help.

The day after I saw the Epic the Sundance dealer offered me a Cameo for 8000. He is hot for my business. Only problem is I sat in the Cameo again for the second time and I was very unimpressed with the jets after sitting in the Epic.

So I might be going back to the Marquis dealer tomorrow to try the Epic again and this time ill bring my spa pillow.

We'll see what happens. :D

I am awaiting my spa as we speak but how does the Marquis fare energy wise. $42 approx per month is what the dealer told me for envoy. LIPA told me and I got this from the "green" dept who said some are better than others but expect on average $48 - $54. So I am hopeful that it is on target but each user is different so it is hard to say.

**** Edited by request of original poster

I am awaiting my spa as we speak but how does the Marquis fare energy wise. $42 approx per month is what the dealer told me for envoy. LIPA told me and I got this from the "green" dept who said some are better than others but expect on average $48 - $54. So I am hopeful that it is on target but each user is different so it is hard to say.

The Marquis dealer is claiming that his spa is more energy efficient than the Hot Springs because his cover is better. Supposedly locks in more heat. I don't really buy it as I do think the HS is probably better energy wise. I don't think the Marquis is a slouch though either.

When I go there and mention the energy stuff vs. HS when he claims again that his spa is better, i'll ask him if he has a meter to back it up.

Are you from Long Island? Is it Ocean Spray that's telling you $42 a month for the Envoy?

The Marquis dealer is claiming that his spa is more energy efficient than the Hot Springs because his cover is better. Supposedly locks in more heat. I don't really buy it as I do think the HS is probably better energy wise. I don't think the Marquis is a slouch though either.

When I go there and mention the energy stuff vs. HS when he claims again that his spa is better, i'll ask him if he has a meter to back it up.

Are you from Long Island? Is it Ocean Spray that's telling you $42 a month for the Envoy?

Yes, see earlier posts in this section regarding the HS purchase. There was an energy graph in the dealer Ocean Spray but had it confirmed by a third party who has a separate meter on his vanguard tub. The winter months are higher than the summer (will probably balance out our summer a/c, now if I can only offset my oil drops I will be happy) but the figure is an average cost.

Yes, see earlier posts in this section regarding the HS purchase. There was an energy graph in the dealer Ocean Spray but had it confirmed by a third party who has a separate meter on his vanguard tub. The winter months are higher than the summer (will probably balance out our summer a/c, now if I can only offset my oil drops I will be happy) but the figure is an average cost.

Yeah I saw that chart from the independent guy at the dealer. The only HS I was even considering was the Vista and that would be running more electric anyways than the Vanguard.

They wanted to sell me the Vista for $9995 (i'd get an extra $300 off if I paid cash). I was hoping they would have dropped their price some more but they refuse to budge on the price.

I forgot to mention two things. First off in regards to the above quote about Hot Shots, I called them asking what spas they had filled for wet testing. They said they don't wet test because their insurance doesn't allow it. Talk about an EPIC FAIL. haha Who is going to buy a spa that can't even see it filled and running, nevermind actually getting in and test soak.

Oh and I wet tested a Jacuzzi J-480 over the weekend, despite my reservations about the dealer. Boy was I unimpressed. For the price of a 480 it really wasn't that great. The rotating jets were ok. But very blah. I didn't "hate" it but I was definitely expecting better.

So I finally made a decision and bought a hot tub today.

A Marquis Epic!

I have to say I am just very happy with my choice. The jets in the Epic are so nice. Not too strong, just good stuff. I also liked the ease in the diverters. They all seemed to be laid out in the right spots. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure them out.

Got it in Signature with the constellation lighting. Silver swirl top with grey driftwood cabinet. They have it in stock too. I just need to get my backyard patio finished. Hopefully ill be soaking in 2-3 weeks. Maybe sooner.

Ironic thing my first post I said I didn't care for this dealer. I guess I should learn to think twice and at least do a wet test before I jump to conclusions. lol