Quotes On Nordic Tubs

Hey folks,

Got some quotes on Nordic hot tubs from a local dealer. Wondering what you thought of these prices and whether I should be going for a different brand or model in these price ranges instead.

They all include a cover, an ozonator, a Titanium Heater, and an LED light, along with a chem kit and Pristine Blue kit.

Rendezvous $5,995 - $500 for being a floor model

Escape Premium $4,895

Crown XL $4,395

Delivery is $150 for 25 min away.

Thanks

Well I called another place that sells Nordic tubs by me and the quotes were about 2K higher so I guess these are good prices.

I have to say that how the prices can fluctuate for the same product is pretty ridiculous. It's one thing to have a couple hundred dollar difference, but $2,000??? That's crazy! It's almost 50% higher! Makes you very wary to buy a hot tub from a small local store rather than a Costco because there's just too great a chance you're getting ripped off. I know the Costco tubs come with their own risks, but at least you know you're paying the right price for it. The small places should change their practices before they lose business to the big boys. Even now I still don't know if I'm getting the best deal or over paying by a grand.

There's my rant ;)

Well I called another place that sells Nordic tubs by me and the quotes were about 2K higher so I guess these are good prices.

I have to say that how the prices can fluctuate for the same product is pretty ridiculous. It's one thing to have a couple hundred dollar difference, but $2,000??? That's crazy! It's almost 50% higher! Makes you very wary to buy a hot tub from a small local store rather than a Costco because there's just too great a chance you're getting ripped off. I know the Costco tubs come with their own risks, but at least you know you're paying the right price for it. The small places should change their practices before they lose business to the big boys. Even now I still don't know if I'm getting the best deal or over paying by a grand.

There's my rant ;)

Sounds like your first prices were good then.

If I was a dealer I would price my stuff (no matter what I was selling) where I though I needed to be based on my market. I wouldn't let any big box store determine my pricing as they don't offer apples to apples product. It's a free trade ecomony.

As a consumer I also don't let a dealer determine what I think is a fair price. I do my research and shop for what I feel is the best product and price.

But I understand alot of people don't get the best deal for themselves and shame on them not the dealer.

I hear you, but I'm not saying that the dealers should base their prices on Costco hot tubs. Those are 2 different products!

I'm saying that if a specific model hot tub costs $5,000 in one shop, it's inexcusable for the same model to cost $7,000 in another shop. $5,500...I could see. But it should pretty much be the same across the board like almost all other products that you purchase are. When they do things like this, they build distrust for the entire industry and in turn can only hurt the longevity and survival of the local pool/spa store. The fact that this appears to be common practice says that there's something wrong with the industry.

Again...just a rant ;)

I hear you, but I'm not saying that the dealers should base their prices on Costco hot tubs. Those are 2 different products!

I'm saying that if a specific model hot tub costs $5,000 in one shop, it's inexcusable for the same model to cost $7,000 in another shop. $5,500...I could see. But it should pretty much be the same across the board like almost all other products that you purchase are. When they do things like this, they build distrust for the entire industry and in turn can only hurt the longevity and survival of the local pool/spa store. The fact that this appears to be common practice says that there's something wrong with the industry.

Again...just a rant ;)

Let me offer a counter point, first off neither of us has the information we need to say whether it's right or wrong but. Say you own a bait store in a small community across the river from a good fishing hole, medium income community. You sell hooks for 4 bucks a pack and you buy them for 3 bucks a pack. Down the river 10 miles another bait store right next to an affluet development of rich folks that commute 30 miles to work in the big city sells the same hooks for 8 bucks a pack, and buys them smarter than you to only pay 2.50 a box......is this wrong? Supply and demand controls our society. And sets our prices.

You learned something about the other dealer but maybe he has a better service department and higher overheads and sells to people who don't mind paying more. Maybe the high priced dealer allows more haggling, but you never found that out. Have you haggled with the low priced dealer? Maybe he won't haggle. Lots of variables.

I understand and I thought of this too. After all, you can buy a bottle of shampoo at Walmart for $3.00 and the same bottle at a pharmacy like CVS for $5.00. But, I think it just comes down to what kind of prices are we talking about? A few bucks or 5 grand? If you over-pay by $2, no big deal, but over pay by 2 grand, and it's a big deal. You could pose the counter point of car dealerships on new cars have varying prices, but at least they disclose their cost and expenses in obtaining the vehicle so that you can make an informed/educated decision. Researching hot tubs is not easy, especially if you're not internet savvy.

I also hear you in that they have every right to do this...however it's more just of a matter of the fact that when they do, they grow a certain reputation. And this reputation is what leads people to the corporate chains like Leslies Pools rather than the local shop.

I digress though :) Talk about off topic ;)

I understand and I thought of this too. After all, you can buy a bottle of shampoo at Walmart for $3.00 and the same bottle at a pharmacy like CVS for $5.00. But, I think it just comes down to what kind of prices are we talking about? A few bucks or 5 grand? If you over-pay by $2, no big deal, but over pay by 2 grand, and it's a big deal. You could pose the counter point of car dealerships on new cars have varying prices, but at least they disclose their cost and expenses in obtaining the vehicle so that you can make an informed/educated decision. Researching hot tubs is not easy, especially if you're not internet savvy.

I also hear you in that they have every right to do this...however it's more just of a matter of the fact that when they do, they grow a certain reputation. And this reputation is what leads people to the corporate chains like Leslies Pools rather than the local shop.

From a personal point of view, we are a small family run company. I have very low overhead, and I do not put tubs on Textron or any other financing, I pay for them, so I have no interest adding up. Makes it so I can offer the tub at a lower price than the other dealers may be able to. The commercial rent in my area is also about 1/3 of dealers in others areas. We have more cows in town than people, so I can't get as much for my tubs as the dealer on the coast can, so it works out for us. Do your research to why there is a huge price difference. As was said, the dealer may haggle to a lower price or offer something else. The lower price dealer may not haggle (I usually don't, I offer the best up front) Dealer verses Box store....no question, I can go to a dealer and drag them out to the tub and fix it, not spend hours on the phone to then spend days waiting for a service tech or may or may not know what they are doing and burn the house down. Many things to think about.

We have a Nordic dealer in our area and the prices you got from the first dealer are really good, but check around. Look into other brands too.

From a personal point of view, we are a small family run company. I have very low overhead, and I do not put tubs on Textron or any other financing, I pay for them, so I have no interest adding up. Makes it so I can offer the tub at a lower price than the other dealers may be able to. The commercial rent in my area is also about 1/3 of dealers in others areas. We have more cows in town than people, so I can't get as much for my tubs as the dealer on the coast can, so it works out for us. Do your research to why there is a huge price difference. As was said, the dealer may haggle to a lower price or offer something else. The lower price dealer may not haggle (I usually don't, I offer the best up front) Dealer verses Box store....no question, I can go to a dealer and drag them out to the tub and fix it, not spend hours on the phone to then spend days waiting for a service tech or may or may not know what they are doing and burn the house down. Many things to think about.

We have a Nordic dealer in our area and the prices you got from the first dealer are really good, but check around. Look into other brands too.

I would like to add one not known fact regarding cars and there markup. The sticker means nothing. A car dealer that sells 1000 cars a year gets a bigger rebate (kickback) from the manufacturer than a car dealer that sells 500 So if you think everything is out front for the consumer to see your being nieve. The dealer that moves cars could get 1000 bucks per vehicle rebate off cost at the end of the year and they keep that in there hip pocket.

Same applys to tubs.

But obviously your overhead goes up the more you have out there as far as repair, delivery and so on.

I can honestly say as a nordic dealer that those prices are very good. My company is the 2nd largerst nordic dealer in the country and those lower prices are compatable to ours. That other guy is right as far as financing tubs or buying truckloads for cash. Those prices are lower than the msrp and the 2000 dollar more guy is probably just using msrp as the price. Sticker price for an escape premium with upgraded heater element is about $ 7000 and i sell them all day at $5000.

Hope this helps

Chris

Southcoast pool and spa

Thanks everyone!

Follow up to this then...I was leaning towards the Escape Premium. Is that the one people would recommend?

I like the authentic look of a round tub. But only you can decide which is right for you. Sit in them, preferable wet and see.

• 5 months later...

I concur with Roger, there is no substitute for a wet test. My wife and I are waiting for delivery of our Nordic tub. We both wanted barrier-free seating without all the bells and whistles. I really wanted a Crown XL (and actually still do) however; my wife preferred a square tub. We initially compromised on an Escape Premium (non-recliner). After taking a wet test we both felt it was too small. We then took a wet test in a Rendezvous Royal. We really liked the deeper seating, the two whirlpool jets and the additional legroom. The price for our Rendezvous is just under $6K. It was only $500 more than the Escape Premium and we felt the difference was well worth it. Full foam insulation is available in both of these tubs, as an option, for approximately $200. Your dealer’s prices seem very reasonable. I would urge you to wet test before you put down a deposit. Once our Rendezvous is up and running I will provide a report of our initial impressions.

I would urge you to wet test before you put down a deposit. Once our Rendezvous is up and running I will provide a report of our initial impressions.

Pictures would be really nice. Good luck Capt Bob.Captain Did you get the satalite radio option??

No, we wanted to keep it simple and didn’t go with any of the fancy upgrades – satellite radio??? By the way, the Nordic AM/FM stereo/CD system with the interior and exterior speakers was an $875 upgrade. I think we will use a portable radio if we ever want music. I may add a couple of exterior shelves for adult beverages. Will definitely post some pics when our Rendezvous is up and running in a few weeks – can’t wait!

Capt, if you get the shelves let us know how you like them. They do not give them aways so i have been using a small table.

I hooked up a couple of outdoor speakers for my tub on my deck for $90, works off the stereo in the porch. Unfortuantely got some complaints from my neighbor though, gotta turn them up loud to hear over the roar of the Nordic Jets :).

No, we wanted to keep it simple and didn't go with any of the fancy upgrades – satellite radio??? By the way, the Nordic AM/FM stereo/CD system with the interior and exterior speakers was an $875 upgrade. I think we will use a portable radio if we ever want music. I may add a couple of exterior shelves for adult beverages. Will definitely post some pics when our Rendezvous is up and running in a few weeks – can't wait!

in the pic of the tub you bought----it says Sirius----its a Jenson Marine radio.