Need Advise On A Spa Pack

I bought a house last summer that had an older fiberglass spa. It's 7' by 7' square. It works OK but there are some issues. The guy I bought the house from worked at Home Depot and it appears when his spa pack (a brand named Torpedo) broke he rigged it back up with home depot parts. I don't want to try and explain it, it's kind of scarry. I did put a 40amp GFI breaker in the main panel to give me some sense of security. I'm planning a retro fit the spa this spring and have been seaching the internet for a good, not too expensive spa pack. I have a 220 volt hook up. I looking for something reliable and easy to hook up.

I found several ads for a BALBOA VS501 in the $400+ range. Their adds and specs look like what I want. My question is this a good unit or I'm I getting what I'm paying for? I heard Balboa is one of the top brands. My local spa store told me he would put one in for around $700 but I from the looks of it I can hook it up myself. Let me know what you think or give me some other options. I would really appreciate and if you are ever in my area stop by for a soak.

Johnny B :D

I've sold & put in many vs501's for retro fits and they work well. Its simple enough to install. You must make sure when you replace the wires & plugs(comes with the pack) for the peripherals that they are correctly wired up. Ive had a couple DIY'rs smoke their pump motors because they werent paying attention to where they plugged the wires back into the motor

I've sold & put in many vs501's for retro fits and they work well. Its simple enough to install. You must make sure when you replace the wires & plugs(comes with the pack) for the peripherals that they are correctly wired up. Ive had a couple DIY'rs smoke their pump motors because they werent paying attention to where they plugged the wires back into the motor

We have had great luck with Balboa. Thats what we use for all our retro fits.

Thanks for the information. It looks like I be getting the vs502. I may post again when I start hooking up the wires. I can't wait to get this done. The way it's rigged now only the low speed speed side of the two speed pump runs and there is no thermostat controling the the temp.

Johnny B Tubbs