Spa Water Loss And Dealer Problem

Plantguy

I’m having trouble with a D1 Lotus Bay spa that a dealer installed for me on 10-16-07. I noticed 3 days later that there was water on my concrete slab patio at one corner of the spa. I called the dealer and reported what seems to be a leak since the install. They did not come to check the spa until 11-6 and stated they thought it was condensation from the cover. The water at that time would be noticeable and at other times the patio would dry up. However, beginning in February the water never dried up so it appears that there is a constant leak. I have begun to measure the water loss and it appears to be consistent the last few weeks at ½” every 5 days. I cannot seem to get the dealer to service or replace the spa and at this point it seems clear he is not interested in making good on the spa he sold (it was a display model about 1 year old and sold as a new spa). Additionally he still has not provided items that were missing at the install: pillow, light, screws, etc and he has not installed the lifter to date. I’m not interested in having the foam insulation poked or the water dyed as it seems clear that the spa has leaked from the beginning and should be replaced or refunded. I’d like some advice from the group as to the loss of ½” every 5 days, what you might think the problem is, and how to get the situation fixed as it seems that the dealer is not going to stand behind his product. (I've posted this on another site and I hope to get a larger response by posting here too).

I am, by no means, an expert on this stuff, so my input is probably of little value. But, my first thought is evaporation, as RickJ also mentioned. Especially this time of year with the extreme temperature differences...100+ water temp and relatively cold surrounding air. I know, with my spa, condensation does seep out from under the cover on occasion...especially when the wind blows, leaving the concrete pad a little wet. When it is below freezing, I occasionally get ice cycles hanging from the cover...this mostly happens at the folding seam.

If you use your spa frequently and/or have the cover open frequently, for other reasons, this would allow for more evaporation. So, a 1/2" every 5 days, with frequent use and natural evaporation from around the cover, doesn't sound like much to me. But, then again I am a complete novice, and maybe it is a lot more than I think.

I have to ask you say that this was a floor model that was sold as a new spa that almost seems contradictory to me. If you bought a floor model (it appears that you surly new it was) or even a new spa and it has issues the dealer has the right to try and correct those. I think your dealer has clearly been lacking in timely follow up and delivering to you everything you say you are missing. The dealer has long ago been paid on this and your credit card company will be of little help to you at this point. Why have they not taken better care of you? I just get the sense that there is more to this story.

I have to ask you say that this was a floor model that was sold as a new spa that almost seems contradictory to me. If you bought a floor model (it appears that you surly new it was) or even a new spa and it has issues the dealer has the right to try and correct those. I think your dealer has clearly been lacking in timely follow up and delivering to you everything you say you are missing. The dealer has long ago been paid on this and your credit card company will be of little help to you at this point. Why have they not taken better care of you? I just get the sense that there is more to this story.

Not sure what is missing either unless the dealer is a complete idiot when it comes to customer service. I would go there and talk directly with the store manager and see what is going on one last time before getting nasty :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I live in Southern California and use the spa about 2 times a week for about 30 minutes each. It has a tight cover. The patio is covered and shaded so the spa is not in the sun. While there is some condensation (it is visible as small spots at different spots around the spa) this does not seem to explain the now constant streamlet of water at the back corner of the spa. The difference between the condensation drips and this back corner area that is always wet with a puddle of water that streams off the patio is my concern. It seems to me to be a small but constant leak. The factory is north of me by about 30-40 miles and the dealer is north of there about 80 miles. He assured me that he could service the spa as he had them up and down the coast. However, he does not return phone calls or emails, instead his service guy does sometimes. The company is practically nonresponsive at this point. I'm concerned what a small but constant leak might be doing to damage the spa over time as well as the puddle that is now constant at the base of the post that is supporting my patio cover near the back corner of the spa. Actually, I have not paid for the spa yet as it was purchased on a spa-related credit card with 6 months deferred interest and payments.

When it loses water, do you refill it again, and then see the water level drop 1/2"? Or do you watch it and see if it drops further? I'm wondering if there is an overflow drain tube or something on that one corner of your spa. It could be that you are overfilling your tub, and the water loss is normal when the tub overflows after you climb into it.

I'm just guessing, because I don't know anything about your tub, or hot tubs in general.

Otherwise I would think that you have a leaky hose in there somewhere.

Good luck finding the problem.

Feel up under the skirt on the side, down around the bottom of the trim. Is there water there? Open up your pump access panel and take a look. A leaking hose would flood the bottom of your enclosure. 1/2" of water every 5 days seems like a awful lot. Water on the outside corner is probably condensation. Are you aerating while not using it? This is going to add to condensation. I suspect that 1/2" per 5 days of water leaking inside would be very noticeable as in water seeping out on more than just the corner.

Feel up under the skirt on the side, down around the bottom of the trim. Is there water there? Open up your pump access panel and take a look. A leaking hose would flood the bottom of your enclosure. 1/2" of water every 5 days seems like a awful lot. Water on the outside corner is probably condensation. Are you aerating while not using it? This is going to add to condensation. I suspect that 1/2" per 5 days of water leaking inside would be very noticeable as in water seeping out on more than just the corner.

Sounds like a leak, being a full foam unit it will be hard to find. There are ways though. Have you tried calling the manufacture to see if they will send another tech out? I would also call the credit company you used. The one we use for our customers would help you resolve the situation.

Sounds like a leak, being a full foam unit it will be hard to find. There are ways though. Have you tried calling the manufacture to see if they will send another tech out? I would also call the credit company you used. The one we use for our customers would help you resolve the situation.

Alos, I forgot to note on the comment that "water on the outside coner is condinsation...." Being a full foam tub, it may be leaking anywhere and traveling to that outside corner. The water will travel through the foam till it finds a place to escape, it seeks the easiest route out.

this may sound super simple but check the bottom under the skirting and see if

there is a plug to drain the tub. it might not be pushed in all the way or it might not be sealed.

also open your pump panel, are any of the pumps wet? or leaking? if none of these

things are the problem, i would contact the tub manufacturer directly, and take names of

everyone you talk to until the problem is solved.