Sundance Maximus - Very High Energy Costs...

I am wondering if anyone can help me determine what we're doing wrong...(or if it's a probelm with the tub).

We purchased a '05 Sundance Maxxus. It was installed in the Spring of '06. Our electric use immediately jumped an average of 15 Kwh per day to 48 Kwh. Since then, it's only been worse. Last month's bill was $1,132 with an average Kwh of 101.7 (total of 3.050 Kwh)! I have now turned the spa down to it's lowest setting (80 degrees) and am considering turning it off completely. We love the hot tub but these bills are completely ourtrageous. We can't afford to use it at this rate.

In looking through postings, I don't see anyone mentioning these types of rate increases. Can anyone help? Thank you very much...

I am wondering if anyone can help me determine what we're doing wrong...(or if it's a probelm with the tub).

We purchased a '05 Sundance Maxxus. It was installed in the Spring of '06. Our electric use immediately jumped an average of 15 Kwh per day to 48 Kwh. Since then, it's only been worse. Last month's bill was $1,132 with an average Kwh of 101.7 (total of 3.050 Kwh)! I have now turned the spa down to it's lowest setting (80 degrees) and am considering turning it off completely. We love the hot tub but these bills are completely ourtrageous. We can't afford to use it at this rate.

In looking through postings, I don't see anyone mentioning these types of rate increases. Can anyone help? Thank you very much...

It appears in your posting that you fel your spa is useing about 33 KWH a day. That seems excessively high and I would call to get a tech to verify something isnt wrong with either a heater, pump or something that is drawing alot of juice. Something is amis for sure!

It is a possibility though that if you call for service and they find nothing wrong with your spa, you will be asked to pay for the service call.

Perhaps something is different in your home tht uses alot of electricity?

How about turning the tub off completely for a month, and seeing if your bills return to their formerly low level? I'd want to isolate the problem before calling for repair. If your usage returns to the previous level, you can be confident it's the tub that's causing the problem. But if it doesn't...

Do you have a well?

Or an old refrig in the garage or elsewhere?

B)

I can't think of anything else that would cause this increase...

The odd thing is that unless you bring out a portable meter you cannot pin down the power use. Even if you shut down the spa, all the things which go along with spa use - being home more, laundry loads, lighting in the yard around the tub if applicable, people over to the house, extra cooking for same, etc. - will all stop as well. So if you shut down your spa and the bill goes down, it may still not be ALL from the tub.

I would recommned a meter. With a bill of over a thousand dollars per month, if you could save a couple hundred bucks a month, you would pay for a meter and somebody to come install it / teach you how to use it.

Some meters are more expensive than others, but there are electricians who own them and can charge you just for the use of them - I even rent one out.

Expensive Plug-in Meter

Much less expensive meter with a 'How To"

Power Meter Store.com

B)

Sorry to be ignorant, but how do you use a plug-in meter with a hard wired spa?

Good question. Actually, a plug-in meter will only be useful for a 110 volt spa which is connected via a plug. In fact, you may have to make up an adapter of some kind because the tub is most likely going to be a 20a plug while household outlets are 15a.

So, you would need to buy/rent/borrow a meter which can be used for hard-wired appliances. Those are not that tough to use - I have one I rent out which has a couple of special adapters which simply snap over the wires coming off the breaker in the electrical panel, in the sub panel, or even at the spa if that is easier. It keeps a log of power used, and you can set it up for a 30 day period, or just run it for a week to see if the tub is, in fact the power drain.

But, if the tub is not the big culprit, then you want one of the plug-in babies. You should start with computers which stay on all day and night - they consume more power than you might think. Then check refrigeratore and freezers. If they are low on refrigerant they will run constantly to keep working.

As Dr. Spa mentioned above, we did have a poster who found that her water line to the house was broken and her water pump was running 24-7. She had huge bills as I recall, and they dropped to lower than before once she found and fixed the pipe.

An easy way to check, and free other than your time, is to walk out and look at the meter. If it is running at a good clip, walk through your home and see what is on. Start shutting off or unplugging things (one at a time) until the meter slows or stops. That will show you what is consuming power.

If this still doesn't point out the power drain, try shutting off every light, every computer, every TV etc. and watch the meter as your spa is the only thing on. Shut off breakers if you have to, but get everything off. Then turn your spa up a few degress, and let it run for an hour.

HTH

B)