Inherited Manora Spa - Can I Sell?

fender4645

Hi all. My wife and I recently purchases a house that came with a Tiger River Manora spa with a Shojimount enclosure. The original documentation stated that it was installed in '95 so I'm assuming that's what year the model is. The previous owners used it all the time and have kept it in excellent condition. My wife and thought about it and decided we would rather reclaim the backyard space. So we're looking to move this but not sure exactly where to go. I've noticed there are places that will remove it for ~$300 but this is a totally working spa and I would think we would be able to sell it...or at least break even.

Any thoughts? If I could sell it, any ideas on for how much? I've looked on Cragslist and most of the hot tubs seem to go for ~$1000...but I don't know how old they are. Because it has totally working parts, are their places that would take it away and either sell it themselves or salvage the parts?

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a newby so I apologize if these are really basic questions.

Thanks!!

If you want to sell it, be aware that you will have to go through what anyone goes through when listing something for sale:

• People will call and ask dumb questions.
  • People will call, promise to be right there, and not show up.
  • People will come to your home and waste your time.
  • People will offer lowball amounts of money just to see if they can get it for next to nothing.
So - to minimize all of the hassle, try this: List it on Craigslist. Put together a careful list mentioning the make and Model (Tiger River Manora installed in 1995). Be sure you have some pictures, if you have a teenager who will pose in the tub, so much the better. Be sure to mention that it is running right now. Include pictures day and night, and equipment compartment. Then pick a firm price - say $995 FIRM. Put in a phone number, an email address. The ad will automatically connect people to your email address, but make it as easy as you can for folks to get ahold of you.

You will know in just a few hours if there is any interest. If you only get one or two nibbles within a few days, take whatever they offer and count it a blessing. But if you get several calls and emails, you have the right price and people are interseted.

If people do email and/or call, tell them you will be home at 9 am Saturday morning. Tell them ALL that same time. Mention that other people are interested in the tub, and that at least one other couple will be there at 9 on Saturday with cash. Don't worry - if half the people who promise to show up actually do show up, you'll be lucky. But if you have four who promise, and one shows up, you'll sell it.

Let us know how it goes. If this sounds like a lot of work, compare it to hauling the thing out yourself, or paying somebody to take it away. I get junk spas on trade all the time, and I have sold most of them this way.

B)

Thanks, Chas! Very informative (and funny) post! What I worry most about selling it on Craig's List is that I'll get someone who doesn't know how to move something so large and either a) take it apart and then decide it's not worth it, or B) try moving it and damaging my house/property. Is it normal/reasonable to ask someone to have it professionally moved? You mentioned that you get spas "on trade" all the time. Do you mean you take it away for free? Or do you charge people?

Thanks again!

Is it normal/reasonable to ask someone to have it professionally moved? You mentioned that you get spas "on trade" all the time. Do you mean you take it away for free? Or do you charge people?

We generally have to take the old spa out of the way while installing the new one, so they are on the dolly and hauled back to my warehouse by time I even see them. If they are truly junk, they just go to the landfill. And that bothers me, because they are not biodegradable, and with the right person fixing them, they could work for years longer.

Keep in mind, that it is what we do for a living, so we do very little damage getting them out. The occasional small dog will dissapear...

So having said that, yes, it might be good to have a pro move the thing. Look at your yard - if it is a tight squeeze, get a mover. If there is plenty of room, let them take care of moving it themselves. But have all your gates removed, trash cans moved aside, patio furniture scooted out of the way and small children locked up when they show up. And I charge $425 as a starting fee to move a spa. More if I have to do anything like take down and section of fence, a gate, move stuff, go up or down steps, etc.

You may offer to split the mover's fee.

B)

To make a short story long...

I forgot you have a lip-mount gazebo in the mix. That would be another couple hundred to remove and transport if I was doing it. It is not tough to do, but I would find the maker and get a copy of the installation instructions. The new owner may very well be able to dismantle and then re-mantle it, but they may be glad to pay to have that part of it done.

B)

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm much more inclined to give it away to someone who's going to use it rather than trash it. As Chas said, they're not biodegradable and it would be much better to have it in someone's back yard being used then in a dump *not* breaking down. :)

I'll try the Craigslist route first and let you all know how it goes.

Funny you should ask...I'm in the Bay Area as well (in El Sobrante over by the San Pablo reservoir)

I think your problem just got solved.

B)

List it on Craigslist.

Be sure you have some pictures, if you have a teenager who will pose in the tub, so much the better. Be sure to mention that it is running right now. Include pictures day and night, and equipment compartment.

Put in a phone number, an email address.

One word of warning about pictures and phone numbers. If you are putting in pictures of your kids, do not put in your phone number. (at least, not your home number) It's very easy for someone to google your phone number, and get your address. Then they could use that info to approach your kids. Personally, I wouldn't put any pictures of your kids, teenagers or otherwise, on the net.

As for the tub, call a few local dealers to find out the price of moving a hot tub. Then sell it, or give it away, with the condition that whoever buys it will use a professional mover to get the tub out of your yard. That will reduce the risk of damages to your property.

When I bought my tub used, the previous owner had already hired a professional mover to remove the tub from his yard. He didn't want to risk having some yokel (me) dropping the tub or having it tip over and hit the wall of his house while trying to move it. So he paid to have the tub moved to the end of his driveway, and I paid to have it moved from there to my house. (I used the same mover). That was a much easier and safer way than me trying to move it with the help of a few friends.

Well I would be happy to take if off your hands......

I feel its only fair that I get a percentage....

B)

What? You want 20% of the spa? Ok, you can have the water...... anything that might be floating in the water consider a bonus.

Deal!

Will you have a professional mover bring that water to me?

B)