Pimping My Spa

Everett2008

I think I'll buy a Cal Spa Tropical (7' x 7') from a person I know for a few hundred dollars. Since I'm saving a ton, and since I know it may eventually need a little repair work, I want to know what can be done and roughly what I would expect to pay to have it done. Here are some things I COULD get. What do you think each would cost? Do you think that certain things are wasteful? What add-ons have you enjoyed?

Here's my list so far... feel free to add to it:

New motor(s)

New Ozonator

Refinish wood siding

New heating element

Additional jets (can this be done?)

Internal tub lighting/LED Lighting kit

External tub lighting

TV

Sound system

Stairs

High-end cover (is a middle-of-the-road cover just as good?)

Cover lift

Drink tray

Anything else?

I think I'll buy a Cal Spa Tropical (7' x 7') from a person I know for a few hundred dollars. Since I'm saving a ton, and since I know it may eventually need a little repair work, I want to know what can be done and roughly what I would expect to pay to have it done. Here are some things I COULD get. What do you think each would cost? Do you think that certain things are wasteful? What add-ons have you enjoyed?

New ES Balboa digital spa pack(heater and topside control included)$1200

New motor(s)$1200 (Vico or ultrajet pumps so you dont have to replumb)

New Ozonator(cartridge $49)

Refinish wood siding

New heating element Included in spa pack

Additional jets (can this be done?) Can be done from online parts dealer about $200

Internal tub lighting/LED Lighting kit$75 or $125

External tub lighting$250 or $500 if you get one that can plug into the Balboa pack

TV

Sound system

Stairs$250 for good steps

High-end cover (is a middle-of-the-road cover just as good?)$500 from rhtubs.com

Cover lift $299 Covermate 3

Drink tray $30 get the floating kind

Spa Monitor (Controls and monitors temp from inside house) Balboa

Balboa Dolphin remote (controls spa and can be programmed to run stereo Tv etc)

Anything else?

I would get it running and if it runs fine I'd look to paint/stain it and get a set of cheap steps and a basic cover lifter (Covermate I). I would not touch anything else unless it specifically needed service.

You had said in an earlier post that this was an older spa in working order you were getting for $400. If that's the case take it and run it AS IS. If you can get a couple years out of it then be happy and then get a new state of the art spa. Many people get a used spa to find out if they are really a "spa person" and then later get a new one. Its a great way to go about it but I wouldn't take an old working spa and plunge a bunch of money into it to "bling" it up (buts that just me).

New motor(s)

New Ozonator

Refinish wood siding

New heating element

Internal tub lighting/LED Lighting kit

External tub lighting

TV

Sound system

Stairs

High-end cover (is a middle-of-the-road cover just as good?)

Cover lift

Drink tray

Anything else?

I would get it running and if it runs fine I'd look to paint/stain it and get a set of cheap steps and a basic cover lifter (Covermate I). I would not touch anything else unless it specifically needed service.

You had said in an earlier post that this was an older spa in working order you were getting for $400. If that's the case take it and run it AS IS. If you can get a couple years out of it then be happy and then get a new state of the art spa. Many people get a used spa to find out if they are really a "spa person" and then later get a new one. Its a great way to go about it but I wouldn't take an old working spa and plunge a bunch of money into it to "bling" it up (buts that just me).

I agree, a turd is still a turd (if it turns out to be after a year or so) no matter how you bling it.

Install a water proof Clark Synthesis Transduceer (Arctic uses them to the bottom of their tubs as an option)

It needs about 300w to drive it, and it will vibrate your tub causing some sort of relaxation effect if the right tones are played in the right order.. I think Arctic calls it the AquaTremor ®.. and provides special CDs to play with the right tones etc..

althogh.. I use them for my home theater to shake the heck out of my seating, I wonder how a tub would handle it.. would it shake the tub to bits.. they really pack a punch, depending on the model.. I often have people say "What the H@LL was that" when a loud bang goes off in the home theater.. and pounds their chair.. It will launch a bowl of popcorn off the chair, about 12" in the air...

I would look a the cover and the insulation to be sure you can run this thing without costing a fortune.

the Disco ball above is an easy way to get some life inside the tub for very little money.

Here is another one on Ebay

Item number - 230216203989

94a4_1.JPG

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not, you can buy the Disco Ball at K-M@rt!! I know, crazy! I am a former pool store manager and we were selling them for like $60 or something like that.....then later that summer I saw them at W-Mart and K-M@rt for around $20!! SHOCKED! I'm currently in the same boat as you! I bought a LARGE older spa with Spa Pac (which I can't find a manual for ANYWHERE on the internet.) I want to PIMP MY SPA too with alot more jets then I currently have. Right now much husband is trying real hard to fix the pipe that he broke going to the blower. After that, we can fill, crank the Spa Pac and CROSS OUR FINGERS!!!

• 3 months later...

Apparently so. I helped retrofit what our wives lovingly refer to as a the boyfriend jet in my friends new "free" tub. Got a used 1.5 hp motor, two intakes, hoses and fitting, glue, hole saw, the jet and some silicone (about $300) - hooked the motor to the aux button on the spa guts. About three days of dinking around with the tub, his wife is just as excited about the tub as he was when they got it.