Fiberglass Pools

mal

I am in the midst of interviwing with contractors / pool dealers. I feel I have narrowed my search down to Ocean Reef Pools. Does anyone have anything to say about them. They are one of the few manufacturers that offer the Ultra granicoat which was patened by a company named Safas, rather then the typical Gel Coat. It seems that it would hold your color much longer then typical gel. Or does someone highly recommend another manufacturer and why. Thanks, meeting with another tonight, quick responses are appreciated.

mmjll@optonline.net

I am in the midst of interviwing with contractors / pool dealers. I feel I have narrowed my search down to Ocean Reef Pools. Does anyone have anything to say about them. They are one of the few manufacturers that offer the Ultra granicoat which was patened by a company named Safas, rather then the typical Gel Coat. It seems that it would hold your color much longer then typical gel. Or does someone highly recommend another manufacturer and why. Thanks, meeting with another tonight, quick responses are appreciated.

mmjll@optonline.net

I have been installing fiberglass pools for 25 years. In order to give you a decent recommendation on who to choose for a manufacturer it all depends on what area you live in.

mmjll@optonline.net

I have been installing fiberglass pools for 25 years. In order to give you a decent recommendation on who to choose for a manufacturer it all depends on what area you live in.

I live in northern NJ. If you have any reccommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am thinking of going "heat pump" rather then a gas heater. Do you recommend any manufacturer over another? Oh and as long

as were talking pools - how about the salt water filters?

I am in the midst of interviewing with contractors / pool dealers. I feel I have narrowed my search down to Ocean Reef Pools. Does anyone have anything to say about them. They are one of the few manufacturers that offer the Ultra granicoat which was patented by a company named Safas, rather then the typical Gel Coat. It seems that it would hold your color much longer then typical gel. Or does someone highly recommend another manufacturer and why. Thanks, meeting with another tonight, quick responses are appreciated.

mmjll@optonline.net

I live in northern NJ. If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am thinking of going "heat pump" rather then a gas heater. Do you recommend any manufacturer over another? Oh and as long

The salt water chlorine generators work very well. The only down side to them is that once the water temperature gets below about 58 degrees they don't work. Heat pumps work out OK as long as you have a decent amount of humidity in the air. They are more expensive up front and I don't believe that they are as energy efficient as the natural gas or propane heaters. In regards to recommendations for manufacturers in your area:Aloha, Viking, Leisure, San Juan, CPC, and Waterworld are among the major manufacturers of quality fiberglass swimming pools in this country. Every one of them will tell you why their pool is better than others and how their gel coat, ultra granicote ceramic core etc. etc. is by far superior to anything else on the market. The truth of it is that they are all good quality products but the most important key to all is to have the right person install your pool. If the pool is not leveled correctly or back filled properly your going to have trouble. The manufacturer may say they warranty the pool for lifetime or for 25 years but the warranty only covers defects due to manufacturing and there is really no warranty on the installation of the shell. So a fiberglass pool is only as good as the person installing the pool. Don't get in a rush to make a decision, it's still a little cold in your part of the country. Ask every salesman that comes to your house to provide you with at least 10 local references from customers they built pools for during the last year. Call the people, go see their pools and get a feel for how they were treated and if they were happy with the final result. Take a good look at the person that comes out to sell you the pool. If you are real lucky the same guy that sells you the pool is the same guy that's going to put the pool in for you and he knows what he is talking about and gives you straight answers to your questions. Once again the most important thing that you can do to try and make the right decision is to talk to people that recently had these companies build their pool.

Mal, Please reconsider before purchasing Ocean Reef. There Florida plant closed down. Their Tennessee plant was under foreclosure proceedings. . .and right at this very minute is burning to the ground. I would hate for you to purchase a pool and then be stuck with it should warranty issues come up down the road. I am not trying to down another manufacturer. . .just feel it important, as a fellow consumer, that you should be informed.

Mal, Please reconsider before purchasing Ocean Reef. There Florida plant closed down. Their Tennessee plant was under foreclosure proceedings. . .and right at this very minute is burning to the ground. I would hate for you to purchase a pool and then be stuck with it should warranty issues come up down the road. I am not trying to down another manufacturer. . .just feel it important, as a fellow consumer, that you should be informed.

Wow.....KatieF, thanks for that update. I am actually planning to go to the home show this weekend at the meadowlands where there will be the rep and pools of ocean reef. How did you hear of the situation in regards to foreclosure proceedings. I am looking for a large pool with an 8 foot depth. I think I have looked at every manufacturer there is. i want style, bench seats, size and depth, not to mention quality. Anyone have a reccomendation? I had heard Viking had some major problems, Waterworld also. San Juan I heard that you can not be sure of the installer, whcih from what I have read is the MOST important part of the process. Any one have any advise???

• 2 weeks later...

KatieF,

I heard somewhere you may have an axe to grind with Ocean Reef. That you may be related to the "Ex President". Can you shed some light on this?

Mal,

I have heard Ocean Reef is and will be in business. Yes there was a fire in the Tenn. Plant however they are in the process of rebuilding.

JB

KatieF,

I heard somewhere you may have an axe to grind with Ocean Reef. That you may be related to the "Ex President". Can you shed some light on this?

Mal,

I have heard Ocean Reef is and will be in business. Yes there was a fire in the Tenn. Plant however they are in the process of rebuilding.

JB

JB who might you be? What is it you know in regards to this matter, better yet tell me how you "heard" Ocean Reef is and will be in business? I dont suppose you work for them. And I cant imagine where you might have heard KatieF may be related to the ex-president, unless you do indeed work for Ocean Reef.

Wow.....KatieF, thanks for that update. I am actually planning to go to the home show this weekend at the meadowlands where there will be the rep and pools of ocean reef. How did you hear of the situation in regards to foreclosure proceedings. I am looking for a large pool with an 8 foot depth. I think I have looked at every manufacturer there is. i want style, bench seats, size and depth, not to mention quality. Anyone have a reccomendation? I had heard Viking had some major problems, Waterworld also. San Juan I heard that you can not be sure of the installer, whcih from what I have read is the MOST important part of the process. Any one have any advise???

Have you looked at or considered Sun Fiberglass Pools and Spas. They were recently ranked on the first ever Inc 5000 list of the fastest growing private companies in the country. The company offers over 30 different designs.

Hi Mal. I don't have any recommendations regarding which fiberglass pool manufacturer is better than the other. . .I honestly don't know a lot about any of them. I guess the best advice would be to find a pool company that is reputable, does quality work and backs their labor and installation with a solid warranty. Don't just call their references. . .go look at the work. That, in my opinion, is probably most important! Then, work with that builder to find a pool that suits your needs. I think if you find a builder you really want to work with, they will get you what you want--or at the very least direct you to the best solution!

P.S. The information originally came to me via word of mouth. I was REALLY bored at work & started investigating. I did a search that day and found foreclosure proceedings and also information about the fire. I think the link that I found through google was: http://www.elkvalleytimes.com . It was just a coincidence that I also saw information about the fire from news station link in Huntsville, AL. I don't remember which station it was on. . .sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

I too, got a quote from a Viking guy, who seemed awful shady and the San Juan rep never showed up to our appointment. When I called San Juan, a lady named Carol answered who was incredibly rude and seemed to care less. Nothing makes me madder than bad service.

I got back online and was determined to find a quality fiberglass manufacturere. Did you look into Aloha Fiberglass Pools? I checked them out after a neighbor said her sister had just bought one. We ended up buying an Aloha and love it! They have factories in TN, TX and three other states I can't remember. When I called the company for infomration, they were relally helpful and nice. I got their brochrue and it seemed to be a good pool with the longest warranty- (15 years on teh surface and forever on the pool itself) I could find as I did my research. Their website is www.alohafiberglasspools.com

We couldn't be happier. I bought an Isabella in a colored blue Peble Beach finish, and it is so pretty. I looked at the colors made by other manufacturers out there, and Aloha's was the best looking by far. I didn't realize what the special texture on their stairs was, (can't think of the name) but now that we have it, it is really great. No other manufactuer makes a texture like this.

Hope this helps anyone out there who might be looking.

• 4 months later...
I am in the midst of interviewing with contractors / pool dealers. I feel I have narrowed my search down to Ocean Reef Pools. Does anyone have anything to say about them. They are one of the few manufacturers that offer the Ultra granicoat which was patented by a company named Safas, rather then the typical Gel Coat. It seems that it would hold your color much longer then typical gel. Or does someone highly recommend another manufacturer and why. Thanks, meeting with another tonight, quick responses are appreciated.

mmjll@optonline.net

I live in northern NJ. If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am thinking of going "heat pump" rather then a gas heater. Do you recommend any manufacturer over another? Oh and as long

The salt water chlorine generators work very well. The only down side to them is that once the water temperature gets below about 58 degrees they don't work. Heat pumps work out OK as long as you have a decent amount of humidity in the air. They are more expensive up front and I don't believe that they are as energy efficient as the natural gas or propane heaters. In regards to recommendations for manufacturers in your area:Aloha, Viking, Leisure, San Juan, CPC, and Waterworld are among the major manufacturers of quality fiberglass swimming pools in this country. Every one of them will tell you why their pool is better than others and how their gel coat, ultra granicote ceramic core etc. etc. is by far superior to anything else on the market. The truth of it is that they are all good quality products but the most important key to all is to have the right person install your pool. If the pool is not leveled correctly or back filled properly your going to have trouble. The manufacturer may say they warranty the pool for lifetime or for 25 years but the warranty only covers defects due to manufacturing and there is really no warranty on the installation of the shell. So a fiberglass pool is only as good as the person installing the pool. Don't get in a rush to make a decision, it's still a little cold in your part of the country. Ask every salesman that comes to your house to provide you with at least 10 local references from customers they built pools for during the last year. Call the people, go see their pools and get a feel for how they were treated and if they were happy with the final result. Take a good look at the person that comes out to sell you the pool. If you are real lucky the same guy that sells you the pool is the same guy that's going to put the pool in for you and he knows what he is talking about and gives you straight answers to your questions. Once again the most important thing that you can do to try and make the right decision is to talk to people that recently had these companies build their pool.

I wish I would've read your post BEFORE I hired the hack that installed my San Juan pool. It's 1 1/2" off level and that irritates the heck out of me. He said he'd shoot a level on it before he back filled it. Apparently not. In the 'beach entry area" he didn't sufficiently back fill it and it sounds and feels hollow when you step into the pool. There's no backfill under it. Another irritation. THEN, the .5" distance between the bottom of the bullnose coping and the top of the tile line, he squirted grey silicone sealer. It's peeling off now. VERY ametuerish. I could've done a better job. I should've taken his suggestion that I do it myself when he suggessted it. Apparently he knew that this was his first pool....or so it seemed. :angry:

mmjll@optonline.net

I wish I would've read your post BEFORE I hired the hack that installed my San Juan pool. It's 1 1/2" off level and that irritates the heck out of me. He said he'd shoot a level on it before he back filled it. Apparently not. In the 'beach entry area" he didn't sufficiently back fill it and it sounds and feels hollow when you step into the pool. There's no backfill under it. Another irritation. THEN, the .5" distance between the bottom of the bullnose coping and the top of the tile line, he squirted grey silicone sealer. It's peeling off now. VERY ametuerish. I could've done a better job. I should've taken his suggestion that I do it myself when he suggessted it. Apparently he knew that this was his first pool....or so it seemed. :angry:

I don't know what you could have done to cause the pool to fade. Is it white or blue? I am not making excuses for your installer but there are some things that you need to understand about leveling a fiberglass pool. The fiberglass lip on the pool is not even close to being level in most cases, and from an installer viewpoint there are some things that we can't fix. There may be 1 or 2 areas in the pool that the mold could be off by a half inch or so, but the pool should not be out of level from end to end or side to side. Your beach entry may sound hollow but it may not actually be hollow. In most cases that beach entry area is higher where it meets the pool than it is where it meets the outside lip of the pool. In other words it is very difficult to get sand to wash uphill in a case like that. All the steps in a fiberglass pool are reinforced for extra protection. Once again, I am not doubting your opinion on the hollowness of your beach entry.

mmjll@optonline.net

• 2 weeks later...

mmjll@optonline.net

I don't know what you could have done to cause the pool to fade. Is it white or blue? I am not making excuses for your installer but there are some things that you need to understand about leveling a fiberglass pool. The fiberglass lip on the pool is not even close to being level in most cases, and from an installer viewpoint there are some things that we can't fix. There may be 1 or 2 areas in the pool that the mold could be off by a half inch or so, but the pool should not be out of level from end to end or side to side. Your beach entry may sound hollow but it may not actually be hollow. In most cases that beach entry area is higher where it meets the pool than it is where it meets the outside lip of the pool. In other words it is very difficult to get sand to wash uphill in a case like that. All the steps in a fiberglass pool are reinforced for extra protection. Once again, I am not doubting your opinion on the hollowness of your beach entry.

Im not sure why the mould would differenciate any of the pool levels the mould should not have an effect on this at all, sometimes the pool installers get slack and sometimes they just simply do not kno what they are doing! However as a customer it is always best to be on site on the day of installation to ensure the installer has taken the right datum point and ensure the pool is level. as for the beach entry, there is no area on a pool that is impossible to backfill and that would be a case of your installer either not knowing what he is doing or couldnt be bothered doing the right thing. be sure to check your main drain valve regularly and if you see any movement contact your installer as incorrect levels can lead to:

A) twisting and cracking

B) leaking and underfilling

C) pools lifting and moving

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

mmjll@optonline.net

Im not sure why the mould would differenciate any of the pool levels the mould should not have an effect on this at all, sometimes the pool installers get slack and sometimes they just simply do not kno what they are doing! However as a customer it is always best to be on site on the day of installation to ensure the installer has taken the right datum point and ensure the pool is level. as for the beach entry, there is no area on a pool that is impossible to backfill and that would be a case of your installer either not knowing what he is doing or couldnt be bothered doing the right thing. be sure to check your main drain valve regularly and if you see any movement contact your installer as incorrect levels can lead to:

A) twisting and cracking

mmjll@optonline.net

I live in northern NJ. If you have any reccommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am thinking of going "heat pump" rather then a gas heater. Do you recommend any manufacturer over another? Oh and as long

Mal,

I live in NJ as well. I've done my homework and I purchased a pool from Waterworld. It's being installed next week. I went with the white gelcoat because it will reflect the Hayward Colorlogic LED light very well. They even embedded artistic mosaics in the pool floor as well as tile along the waterline. I'm going with a Heat Pump as well as the Goldline salt system they offer. The pools are made in Hammonton, NJ. You can actually visit them and get all the info you need to make your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably have your pool in, so this won't help. We took delivery of our Ocean Reef "Marathon" pool today, in the dark blue granite finish. It looks amazing, and we love the wavy walls of this pool. Ocean reef is blowing out the pools they have left in Florida as they closed the plant there due to the economy. They are still operational in Tennessee.

mmjll@optonline.net

A) twisting and cracking

I hope you are not going to give us the speech that your fiberglass pools are far more superior than all the rest and that your pool shells and moulds are perfect and that the lips are perfectly level because the moulds are made with a laser level and how if there is ever a problem with a pool it is because the installer didn't put it in right and blah, blah blah. Who are you trying to fool? If you have put fiberglass pools in for a long time you will admit that I am right and that none of the products manufactured today are perfect.

I won't comment on the fiberglass mfg issue, but...

The "saltwater filtrations systems" are actually electronic chlorine generators that use a small amount of salt in the water to generate the chlorine. They shut down when water temperature goes below 50 degrees, because there's very little chlorine demand when the water is this cold and most folks overchlorinate which can cause bleaching, etc. They work great, although they do require periodic maintenance, just like everything. AquaTrol by Goldline is a great brand.

The heat pump is the most effecient way of heating the pool, although they do heat slower than gas heaters, depending on the BTU output of the individual heater. They will not work when air temps drop below 45-50 degrees F, so if you want heat in the winter, you'll need a gas heater to do that. Heat pumps are generally used to extend the swimming season, except for regions that do not normally see the air temp fall as much in the winter.

• 4 weeks later...
I too, got a quote from a Viking guy, who seemed awful shady and the San Juan rep never showed up to our appointment. When I called San Juan, a lady named Carol answered who was incredibly rude and seemed to care less. Nothing makes me madder than bad service.

I got back online and was determined to find a quality fiberglass manufacturere. Did you look into Aloha Fiberglass Pools? I checked them out after a neighbor said her sister had just bought one. We ended up buying an Aloha and love it! They have factories in TN, TX and three other states I can't remember. When I called the company for infomration, they were relally helpful and nice. I got their brochrue and it seemed to be a good pool with the longest warranty- (15 years on teh surface and forever on the pool itself) I could find as I did my research. Their website is www.alohafiberglasspools.com

We couldn't be happier. I bought an Isabella in a colored blue Peble Beach finish, and it is so pretty. I looked at the colors made by other manufacturers out there, and Aloha's was the best looking by far. I didn't realize what the special texture on their stairs was, (can't think of the name) but now that we have it, it is really great. No other manufactuer makes a texture like this.

Hope this helps anyone out there who might be looking.

You've obviously got everything you need and don't need my help, but your comment about bad service caught my attention. I too despise bad service. My feelings are: if you aren't going to appreciate my business, I'll take it elsewhere.

Anyway, I kind of know a rep from Trilogy Pools and she is very nice and customer oriented. The company seems to be more geared towards customer service than most.

Happy Swimming,