What Happens When You Leave The Lid On When Pumps Are On

michelle

It shouldn't cause any problems at all. In fact, after a fill, I turn on all my pumps and close the cover to help the tub warm up as fast as possible.

what about when it gets up to temperature. say you left it on all night? do you think the non heating pumps create heat even when the heating pump is switched off?

It shouldn't cause any problems at all. In fact, after a fill, I turn on all my pumps and close the cover to help the tub warm up as fast as possible.

what about when it gets up to temperature. say you left it on all night? do you think the non heating pumps create heat even when the heating pump is switched off?

The answer to your question is, "maybe". The pumps themselves create heat, and the water moving through the pipes generate kenitic energy. It depends on the individual spa, how and where it's insulated, as to where the generated heat goes (into the water, or out to the atmosphere).

Michelle, unless it's a really old spa, the pumps should shut off after 15 to 20 minutes.

Most people seem to be in agreement that spas have a cut out. The reason I ask is because my (New) spa has overheated. Resulting in the shell blistering around the water level line. I have been told by the company that it was my fault as I had probably set it wrong, and all i can think of is that I left it running with the cover on.

Most people seem to be in agreement that spas have a cut out. The reason I ask is because my (New) spa has overheated. Resulting in the shell blistering around the water level line. I have been told by the company that it was my fault as I had probably set it wrong, and all i can think of is that I left it running with the cover on.

Huh, what band of spa?

They're telling you that running the pumps too long caused this? That is just crazy talk.

All spas these days have a limit switch so they can't go above 104. Even if you did leave the pumps running all night there is no way that the water will get hot enough to cause a blister.

A overheating pump would put all it's heat into the spa material right next to it, not at your waterline, so you can rule that one out too.

Sounds like a poor fiberglass layup to me, and the cheapskates are trying to blame it on you. What brand spa and what year is it?

Jiminey Christmas! What's it filled with peanut oil!? Michelle we need the year, make, and model of your spa to help. There should be built-in electronic protection to prevent your spa going over temp (104 degrees ?) by even a few degrees. Warrantying your entire tub would be expensive so your dealer is *trying* to lay it on you. Please correct me people, but is there ANY modern spa that can get so hot because of a user setting that it will blister the shell at the water line?! I'm 100% positive you're not the first person to see their hot tub go waay over temp, but I don't think it can be done on purpose.... unless you have one of those copper spas and you threw too many logs on the "heater". Oh and it's got nothing to do with your spa cover.

All spas these days have a limit switch so they can't go above 104. Even if you did leave the pumps running all night there is no way that the water will get hot enough to cause a blister.

A overheating pump would put all it's heat into the spa material right next to it, not at your waterline, so you can rule that one out too.

Sounds like a poor fiberglass layup to me, and the cheapskates are trying to blame it on you. What brand spa and what year is it?

Yeah along the waterline sounds suspicious too. While it could be the material, it could be something oily you added to the water... something that would float at the surface. Perfume? Aromatherapy oil? Something that attacked the plastic/fiberglass. I doubt your hot tub overheated, I agree that wouldn't make it blister in such a manner, and is not likely to happen just once. Did you feel the too hot water? with like your hand? ...as in "Ow!"

Michelle, unless it's a really old spa, the pumps should shut off after 15 to 20 minutes.

Why would a spa shut off after 15 minutes???

That would be annoying to have to turn the spa back on while you're relaxing.

Is this how all spas operate?

Our spas shut off after 2 hours because it assumes you forgot to shut it off. I would hate to have to turn the spa on every 15 minutes. :blink:

Terminator

Our spas shut off after 2 hours because it assumes you forgot to shut it off. Terminator

And they do that because the pumps put quite a bit of heat into the water, and a well-insulated tub can and will get amazingly hot if the jets run overnight with the lid down.

B)

Michelle, pumps are supposed to operate with the cover on. Thats how the water heats up and stays warm with the insulation that the cover provides.

No. The circ pump - large or small - will have to run with the cover down of course, but the jet pumps should not be operated for extended periods of time with the lid down. It will overheat the water. There is no thermostatic control over this process - the tub will simply heat until something gives. That might be a hi-temp safety device such as a High-Limit switch, or it might be the shell. In a new tub, as has been mentioned, the jet pumps almost universally shut down after some amount of time to prevent this problem from occurring.

I have no idea if this is what caused your problem with the shell. I have seen many tubs blister the acrylic because of overheating, but they all seemed to blister down in the footwell area, not at the waterline.

There is no way I know enough about your situation to judge whether or not it has to do with running the jets with the lid down. I just feel the need to get this info out there:

In a well-insulated spa, running the jet pumps with the cover down will cause the tub to slowly get hotter and hotter. If your tub doesn't have some sort of shut-off for the jets, it can get hot enough to do bad things.

B)

I would think most of pump heat is dissipated into the area around the pump.

That is the heat from the motors. I have not mentioned the heat from the motors yet, as I didn't want this to end up as a TP vs. FF debate. So set aside the motor heat for a moment - I am talking about the pumps themselves. They add a small amount of heat to the water.

Now, the pump which is "designed to run for extended time periods" is going to be either a circ pump, or a jet pump set to run on LOW speed. This is not at all the same as leaving the jet pump(s) on high overnight as we are discussing.

If a pump could heat the water much why would you need heating elements that draw 20-40 amps.

because, as I metnioned, the pumps will SLOWLY heat the tub. The amount of heat a set of large jet pumps can add to a spa is nothing compared to the amount of heat a dedicated heater can add. Ask anyone who owns a SoftTub - they depend on the heat added to the water from the pump, with the added benefit of a heat exchanger to capture the heat put off from the motor (note the difference between "pump" and "motor" here) and they still heat slowly and can have a hard time in icy conditions. TP spas provide a path for the motor heat to go directly to the tub, but who wants to run the motors all the time when the spa needs heating - and it is not as efficient by far.

Also to filter your water tubs are designed to run every day for extended time periods.

Apples to Oranges - the cirulating system is not going to add heat nearly as fast as the jet system. Although in HS tubs, the tiny circ pump can add enough to overheat the spa in hot weather. They provide a system to take care of this, but because the HS tubs are so well insulated, they can and do creep up in temp just from the waste heat from the tiny circ pump.

HTH

B)

In a well-insulated spa, running the jet pumps with the cover down will cause the tub to slowly get hotter and hotter. If your tub doesn't have some sort of shut-off for the jets, it can get hot enough to do bad things.

That would sort of throw this one back to the manufacturer, wouldn't you think?

New spa shouldn't be having switch problems either.

Why would a spa shut off after 15 minutes???

That would be annoying to have to turn the spa back on while you're relaxing.

Is this how all spas operate?

Our spas shut off after 2 hours because it assumes you forgot to shut it off. I would hate to have to turn the spa on every 15 minutes. :blink:

Terminator

It's not that bad term. If you want your jets on longer, just hit the button with your bottle opener. ;)

It's not that bad term. If you want your jets on longer, just hit the button with your bottle opener. ;)

:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

B)