American Spa Inc / Manhattan Distributor Spa Serve

michelle

i have just found this site and i have also bought a spa from these people and i am now wondering if i have done the right thing i have paid for the tub but it has not yet arrived but they said it will in mid december so i am wondering if this is something i should be worried about???? any suggestions and advice would be great as i am really worried now as this is my christmas present from my husband. thanks. :unsure:

How did you pay? If you have paid by credit card you will have more protection. Check out website

www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38102 it will help you to understand your rights. Also you are afforded a cooling off period of 7 days. Check out your rights with Consumer Direct telephone 0845040506. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just found this site and i have also bought a spa from these people and i am now wondering if i have done the right thing i have paid for the tub but it has not yet arrived but they said it will in mid december so i am wondering if this is something i should be worried about???? any suggestions and advice would be great as i am really worried now as this is my christmas present from my husband. thanks. :unsure:

How did you pay? If you have paid by credit card you will have more protection. Check out website

www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38102 it will help you to understand your rights. Also you are afforded a cooling off period of 7 days. Check out your rights with Consumer Direct telephone 0845040506. Good luck.

I am currently taking this shower of sh!te though the courts, after initially getting a judgement (they didnt show - surprise surprise), they are now challenging it which is good news for me as i want a court hearing. I am currently building up information on these cowboys and although i have an agent currently trying to find out information i would be grateful if people could email me with with any information/ bad experiences that they have of the company to abtran48@hotmail.com.

• 2 weeks later...

They will tell you lies, lies, and more lies, about the delivery date, 'it’s in customs', 'its in port'. We eventually got our hot tub 14 weeks after the 8 weeks promised. They made every excuse possible. Eventually they delivered a defective product, blower does not work, TV cannot be connected, wrong TV, broken cabinet, cabinet colour wrong (compensated for cabinet – by force), no parasol. Then they arranged an engineer on a date they knew they would not be working, but did not tell us! They arranged a second service date, cancelled day before giving a lame excuse saying they had not had the part delivered, which they had already informed me 'we've got loads in stock, very common part'. I consider myself a very fair person but Spa Serve (Trade Price Hot Tubs, HDI Enterprises) do not play fair. If you have purchased form this company, PAY BY CREDIT CARD for protection! When the delivery date passes get in contact with your credit card company and begin to claim your money back! This is the only reason they delivered after 20 weeks, otherwise we would still be waiting. Once 120 days have passed, after paying by credit card, you have more difficulty getting your money back, so you must start a charge back at approx. 90 days after payment, maximum! Do not accept goods with a fault as the credit card will only refund after return of goods and being a hot tub this is difficult! However, you are covered by the Sale & Supply of Goods Act. Paying by credit card saved us, I'm convinced of that. Spa Serve administration, whilst always polite, cannot give a straight answer. My situation with Spa Serve is ongoing, if it changes, I will notify, otherwise I would suggest - If you want: a nice looking product that does not work correctly; a process that gives you unnecessary stress; to be fobbed off; to pay for goods you don't receive, purchase from Trade Price Hot Tubs. Otherwise avoid or I’m convinced you will pay in other ways!!!

They will tell you lies, lies, and more lies, about the delivery date, 'it’s in customs', 'its in port'. We eventually got our hot tub 14 weeks after the 8 weeks promised. They made every excuse possible. Eventually they delivered a defective product, blower does not work, TV cannot be connected, wrong TV, broken cabinet, cabinet colour wrong (compensated for cabinet – by force), no parasol. Then they arranged an engineer on a date they knew they would not be working, but did not tell us! They arranged a second service date, cancelled day before giving a lame excuse saying they had not had the part delivered, which they had already informed me 'we've got loads in stock, very common part'. I consider myself a very fair person but Spa Serve (Trade Price Hot Tubs, HDI Enterprises) do not play fair. If you have purchased form this company, PAY BY CREDIT CARD for protection! When the delivery date passes get in contact with your credit card company and begin to claim your money back! This is the only reason they delivered after 20 weeks, otherwise we would still be waiting. Once 120 days have passed, after paying by credit card, you have more difficulty getting your money back, so you must start a charge back at approx. 90 days after payment, maximum! Do not accept goods with a fault as the credit card will only refund after return of goods and being a hot tub this is difficult! However, you are covered by the Sale & Supply of Goods Act. Paying by credit card saved us, I'm convinced of that. Spa Serve administration, whilst always polite, cannot give a straight answer. My situation with Spa Serve is ongoing, if it changes, I will notify, otherwise I would suggest - If you want: a nice looking product that does not work correctly; a process that gives you unnecessary stress; to be fobbed off; to pay for goods you don't receive, purchase from Trade Price Hot Tubs. Otherwise avoid or I’m convinced you will pay in other ways!!!

I am sorry to hear you had all this trouble and so glad we did not have to endure a similar experience. The experience we had with this company was bad enough and made me extremely depressed. Might be an idea to get in touch with Theresa Bradley email Theresa_Bradley@mrn.co.uk or telephone Theresa Bradley from the Rugeley Post she is conducting an investigation into this company her telephone number is 01543501764. I hope you get your problems sorted. The time involved in seeking justice is sole destroying.

Do not buy from this company, we had the same delivery problems, issues getting through on the telephone, no one will give you a straight answer. When we finally got a delivery date (12 weeks after the original estimated date), we called the day before to confirm the time (morning or afternoon) and we were told it had been changed to the following week. Once installed, it developed a leak within one day and has now developed another leak within four months.

Our situation too, is ongoing. We have been in touch with Consumer Direct to see what we can do. Right now we are just sorry we ever got involved with them and are doing what we can to get it fixed and get rid of it.

Hi Michelle

I have now received what appears to be the same letter as you, they are stating that the problem with the blistering etc is due to misuse of the ozonator. They have also offered as a 'goodwill gesture' to replace my hotub at a cost of £1395 to cover transport, shipping and installation costs. I don't think so.... I will now try to recoupe some monies through my credit card company. We all need to get together to take some action against this company to ensure this does not continue to happen. Can anyone let me know if they have taken this to the Watchdog programme... or been sucessful in taking the company to court.

Hi im in the middle of taking this company to court too ! Its an outrage and they are still trading .

I received my grot tub last april and basically there were bits missing , waterlogged dvd and stereo and it never worked properly from day one . I had an incling it was dodgy so I rejected it at law within 7 days but they ignored my letter. Soon the water turned green despite my husband using the correct chemicals, I called out an independant engineer and he told me the tub was not filtering and cleaning so it was not advisable to use it in case the children got a nasty infection from the rancid water ! we didnt need telling twice ! So it has sat empty and dormant in my garden ever since while I pay £130 a month off my loan I took out to purchase it. If I dont laugh I will cry I am at my wits end its made me so misrable. We are considering filling it and adding some giant carp to turn it into a £5000 fish pond ! Any help, support, wisdom or solice greatly appreciated

Hi Michelle

I have now received what appears to be the same letter as you, they are stating that the problem with the blistering etc is due to misuse of the ozonator. They have also offered as a 'goodwill gesture' to replace my hotub at a cost of £1395 to cover transport, shipping and installation costs. I don't think so.... I will now try to recoupe some monies through my credit card company. We all need to get together to take some action against this company to ensure this does not continue to happen. Can anyone let me know if they have taken this to the Watchdog programme... or been sucessful in taking the company to court.

Hi im in the middle of taking this company to court too ! Its an outrage and they are still trading .

I received my grot tub last april and basically there were bits missing , waterlogged dvd and stereo and it never worked properly from day one . I had an incling it was dodgy so I rejected it at law within 7 days but they ignored my letter. Soon the water turned green despite my husband using the correct chemicals, I called out an independant engineer and he told me the tub was not filtering and cleaning so it was not advisable to use it in case the children got a nasty infection from the rancid water ! we didnt need telling twice ! So it has sat empty and dormant in my garden ever since while I pay £130 a month off my loan I took out to purchase it. If I dont laugh I will cry I am at my wits end its made me so misrable. We are considering filling it and adding some giant carp to turn it into a £5000 fish pond ! Any help, support, wisdom or solice greatly appreciated

On 15th December 2008 I received a letter out of the blue from Spa Serve stating that they were now going to send an independant company to repair my hot tub 'Magicman' They also stated that once the repair had been done that they would foot the bill and that I would not have to pay anything. As yet I have heard nothing from this independant company. I plan to give Spa Serve a call tomorrow and if I get no joy I will be contacting Theresa Bradley at the Rugeley Post and possibly Staffordshire Trading Standards.

Let's see what happens.

On 15th December 2008 I received a letter out of the blue from Spa Serve stating that they were now going to send an independant company to repair my hot tub 'Magicman' They also stated that once the repair had been done that they would foot the bill and that I would not have to pay anything. As yet I have heard nothing from this independant company. I plan to give Spa Serve a call tomorrow and if I get no joy I will be contacting Theresa Bradley at the Rugeley Post and possibly Staffordshire Trading Standards.

Let's see what happens.

Fancy going on TV?

Helen Finch ITV is investigating this company.

e-mail to helen.finch@ITV.com..

If you wish to send me your email address I can send you some info. Send it to me privately.

Regards Justice

Let's see what happens.

Fancy going on TV?

Helen Finch ITV is investigating this company.

e-mail to helen.finch@ITV.com..

If you wish to send me your email address I can send you some info. Send it to me privately.

Regards Justice

Take a look at this site interesting or what???

http://hottubbuyer.com/forum/showthread.ph...;pid=118#pid118

Has anyone bought a Manhattan spar from American spa inc & had the same problem? The shell is peeling around the water line and all dials have gone white and cracked

I bought a daytona spa (lucky it was the cheapest/smallest) for £3000 last April, finally turned up last July, leaked like a sieve and had a nail through the top, they offered to replace (I am making a long story short) this finally turned up Dec, again leaked like a sieve, TV damaged, no mast, no clips for hood. When I called to request when mast was turning up and when could they repair the leaks was told that I would now have to pay for them to attend, "dumfounded" I emailed with threat of legal action, 4 days later called and threatened with legal action, called Trading Standards and felt quite optimistic about recovering costs etc, then I found this forum, and am now deflated, do I want the aggravation of pursuing this company through the courts. I will happily speak/email any one regarding this, but feel one person suing will be quite pointless, but wish I had purchased with my trusty credit card and looked around before falling for this bunch of cowboys.

Hi everyone, another sucker here just realised I've been ripped off by these scumbags. Just to let everyone know, HDI Enterprises are now Trading as First Choice Hot Tubs. We got sucked in by their glitzy website and paid £500 deposit on credit card - now, after being made redundant I am in desperate need to have that money refunded but after over a month of phone calls they are now not answering the phone, nice one, these people are no better than criminals. Thanks to this Forum we now at least realise that we need to take immediate action to get some ££ back, thanks everyone.

Sadly it seems that I have found that I am not alone. I have exactly the same experience as most of you:

Ordered from Trade Price Hot Tubs (turned out to be Spaserve) in April 2008 - promised delivery in 6-8 weeks, but after many many calls & emails my spa was delivered on 1st August 2008.

It was a different colour to my order and the pop-up speakers were missing, but I acceptedit as I could not think of waiting another 3 months. The cover lifter was missing, as was the gazebo. I got the gazebo on 5th September but still waiting fort eh cover lifter.

After one weeks it developed a terrible leak but they sent an engineer and that fixed that.

Then 2 days later the operating panel packed up so it could not be used at all - they sent a replacement in the post which I had to install myself.

All was well for about 6 weeks, however then the filter baskets melted, all of the plastic dials are completely white and worse of all the shell seems to be bubbling & peeling at the water line - it looks absolutely awful!!!!!

I too have complained to Spaserve by telephone and with several emails including pictures of thhe disintefrateing shell, but all I get in response is that the general manager will call me, which obviously never happens.

What do I do next ?? Please help.

Again we are in the same boat as you all. We bought the Manhattan in September but after reading bad reviews we cancelled it. They won't even accept our cancellation and keep telling us the hot tub is with the distributor still! We are calling them daily to request our refund of £5k but they wont take our calls anymore. W are now in the process of speaking with our solicitors.

This is what I found on a website - I hope it helps...

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is crucial for consumers because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.

The Sale of Goods Act lays down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet.

The goods must be:

as described

of satisfactory quality

fit for purpose

As described refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader.

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it doesn't give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions, you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.

Note, however, that the right to reject goods and get a full refund only lasts for a relatively short time after which a buyer is deemed to have 'accepted' goods. This doesn't mean that the buyer has no legal redress against the seller, just that he/she isn't entitled to a full refund.

Instead a buyer is first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced. If these remedies are inappropriate, then you're entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods aren't 'as described'.

If goods which are expected to last six months don't, it'll be presumed that the goods didn't conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the seller can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations, it's for the consumer to prove their own case (that is, that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult the longer you've had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years from the time they buy something in which to make a claim, irrespective of how long the goods actually last.

The contents of this website are not intended to be a substitute for individual professional advice. The content of this section is based on the law applying on 1st October 2008.

Again we are in the same boat as you all. We bought the Manhattan in September but after reading bad reviews we cancelled it. They won't even accept our cancellation and keep telling us the hot tub is with the distributor still! We are calling them daily to request our refund of £5k but they wont take our calls anymore. W are now in the process of speaking with our solicitors.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is crucial for consumers because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.

The Sale of Goods Act lays down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet.

The goods must be:

as described

of satisfactory quality

fit for purpose

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it doesn't give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions, you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.

Note, however, that the right to reject goods and get a full refund only lasts for a relatively short time after which a buyer is deemed to have 'accepted' goods. This doesn't mean that the buyer has no legal redress against the seller, just that he/she isn't entitled to a full refund.

Instead a buyer is first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced. If these remedies are inappropriate, then you're entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods aren't 'as described'.

If goods which are expected to last six months don't, it'll be presumed that the goods didn't conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the seller can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations, it's for the consumer to prove their own case (that is, that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult the longer you've had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years from the time they buy something in which to make a claim, irrespective of how long the goods actually last.

The contents of this website are not intended to be a substitute for individual professional advice. The content of this section is based on the law applying on 1st October 2008.

Hello All,

I was astonised to find so many people in the same boat as me regarding Spa Serve. I bought my Hot tub in January last year and it took 7 months before it was delivered. I have used it on and off since the heater went at the beginning of December. I also bought one of their gazebos for £1500 which never arrived. I took them to the small claims court and received a full refund for the gazebo and damages. Problem is, my tub has now gone wrong. Since being told to run the heater continuously, the tub gave up within two weeks and no longer heats the water. I am fuming, as its too late for me to obtain a refund. Spa Serve have said an Engineer will be onsite on the 5th of Feb, as long as I pay £150 for the call out. I have to pay this when he arrives or he wont touch the tub. when I approached a local hot tub company (that sells Jacuzzi Spa's) for a maintenance contract they just laughed when I said Spa Serve. Can I still return this tub to them or is it all too late?

Has anyone bought a Manhattan spar from American spa inc & had the same problem? The shell is peeling around the water line and all dials have gone white and cracked

Hi everyone. Our story dates back to last January when we ordered a Presidential Spa for £7995.00. To cut a very long story short it was leaking from day one and most of the controls were not working. The wooden exterior has also been rotting away nicely too. We have sued Spaserve aka First Choice Hot Tubs aka Trade Price Hot Tubs aka reviewcentre.com (which accounts for bad reviews being removed) who were also Insparations or something too. I have to say it has been an eye opener. Don't think for one minute that just because some company that trading standards has allowed to trade even though they have a history of ripping people off, has ripped you off good and proper, that you have an automatic right to reject the goods. I have spent many an hour on the phone to our solicitors in floods of tears and kicking walls. Apparently the court will look for the most cost-effective way to resolve things and Trading standards said that because we used the tub for one hour we may not get a full refund! LOL! However, they have settled out of court and we are waiting to see if our cheque for £7995.00 will clear on wednesday. They are still wrangling over costs as it has cost us £1100.00 to take them to court and solicitors fees are £5000.00 but that was covered by our home insurance. We will keep you all posted..........

The goods must be:

as described

of satisfactory quality

fit for purpose

hi all, Im really sorry to put a dampener on things but have quoted all of the above and with no avail . Technically its legally correct but in reality no one backs you up or has the power to put any of the above into action. My own solicitor has even given up on trying to get a refund from these crooks saying there is no way they will refund me. Instead I have to settle for a replacement box of sh***ting grot tub which we all know will be just as crap as the ones we ve all recieved before. . I am so down about it I cant believe I have waisted such a huge amount of my hard earned cash. Now i must dash to finish my spa serve voodoo dolls !

• 2 weeks later...

yep, another mug here who bought a hot tub from spaserve. Got ours march 08 and it leaked from day one, waterlogged dvd/cd player, wrong steps, no clips ets. Finally got an engineer out in september(lost count how many phone calls by then!!) all he did was seal off a leaky touchpad but did inform us the vinyl was delaminating and the centre pump was damaged. we too have blistering waterline and the dials have gone white. Finally after another 5 months and loads more phone calls and a few letters later they said GOOD NEWS!! if we fork out another £1395 they will deliver us a replacement tub. If that's what they call a free replacement tub they can think again!! We won't be paying. How on earth do these rip off merchants keep trading!!

Hello All,

There seems to be a common theme here, Unfortunately I too have fallen victim to Trade Price Hot Tubs/Spa Serve. I ordered a Manhatten Delux back in September last year, and the short version of the story is that it arrived 3 months late, the order was incomplete (and still is) the tub developed a major leak in the first week, the advertised warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, and I am left with an empty tub and a large bill to pay. Spa Serve say they will come out to repair the tub, but I would have to pay 150 pounds in fuel costs first. I have posted complaints and warnings on numerous web sites (just wish I'd read some of them before I decided to buy) and have sent a complaint in to the BBC Watchdog programme.

If anyone would like the full details of my ordeal to help in their plight against these cowboys, please feel free to contact me through this site.

I havent got as far as the courts yet, but from what I've read, it looks as though I'm not far away. luckily, I paid via my credit card, and as such will be persuing this route for a re-fund first.

We need to find a way to collectively drive this company out of business, Or at the very least a way to warn other potential victims what lies ahead.

Tim

Hello Michelle I ordered a a Manhatten spa from Spa Serve also trading as Trade Price Hot Tubs also trading as American Spa Inc. On another forum there are 25 complaints about this company. I am trying to get my money back because I ordered the spa in August and am still awaiting delivery. When did you get yours?

Margaret

Hi, We to ordered a hot tub from Trade Price Group. Luckily we did get this delivered in April 2008 however there are many parts missing and damaged and it was not what they said it was. Since then the heater has broken and now it is not working at all. So we have a hot tub which has been paid for and not working!! Spa Serve are not interested and therefore more money has to be spent now to repair it. Something has to be done to close this company down!!!!! So we are 6 months on and nothing from them They are happy to take the money and run and have no dealings with you.

Michelle

hi michelle we to have had the misfortune of purchasing a tub from spa serve we ordered it back in june 2008 and was told we would have it with in 6-8 weeks so after it didnt come then i started with the phone calls emails and letters and everytime i got no answers from these people just kept saying it was stuck overseas or in customs then eventualy i got word as i would be receving it so after booking an electrition and takin the day of work i sat and waited for it to come it didnt so when i rang i was told the lady whot was deling with it was off so i had to wait a further 2 weeks then i got confimation again and it finaly came on the 15th november almost 19 weeks later when it came we were missing 2 head rests ,coverlifter,skimmer,they told us they would send them out ,then after few days the tub begain to leak so we had to get them out i can tell you the guy who came didnt have a clue and just wedge a piece of pipe under it and also by this time the dvd player was not working so he made out a request for a new one and now almost 3 months later still no goods turned up and now the tub has begain blistering so i have contacted them this week for some one to come out and they say i have to pay £75 for an engineer to come and see it .has anybody got any info for me as to whot action i can take against these shower of !!!! any info would be greatfully received can i just add if any one is looking to buy a spa keep well away from this company.

Hi. We are a hot tub servicing company, companies like this give this industry a bad name, we get called out to many of these Spa Serve tubs, We've seen something similar with your hot tub - what are your filters like? the one's we have seen fitted to the spa serve tubs aren't suitable, they more like coffee filters! Fitting the correct filters should sort this problem out. Any questions please just ask.

thanks

Hi. We are a hot tub servicing company, companies like this give this industry a bad name, we get called out to many of these Spa Serve tubs, We've seen something similar with your hot tub - what are your filters like? the one's we have seen fitted to the spa serve tubs aren't suitable, they more like coffee filters! Fitting the correct filters should sort this problem out. Any questions please just ask.

thanks

hi, on the subject off filters when i had to get spa serve out after 1 week the engineer told us to get them out asap cause they would nacker up the heaters so that cost another £70 and my water went green within 2 weeks because the tabletts they give us were crap ones (all 4 ) i wish there was something we could do to get compensation off these rip off merchants

Hi Both

Can you tell me the website with the 25 complaints regarding, (Spa serve, Trade price hot tubs, American spa inc) on, Im currently in the process of taking these bunch of cowboys to court and would welcome any more information regarding these or this company. I paid in full 17 weeks ago and have been let down by there incompetence on many occasions, basically now i just want my money back. Im still waiting for my tub to be delivered.

Any information or sites would be very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Slater

Hi Both

Can you tell me the website with the 25 complaints regarding, (Spa serve, Trade price hot tubs, American spa inc) on, Im currently in the process of taking these bunch of cowboys to court and would welcome any more information regarding these or this company. I paid in full 17 weeks ago and have been let down by there incompetence on many occasions, basically now i just want my money back. Im still waiting for my tub to be delivered.

Any information or sites would be very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Slater

hi there we were in the same boat it was lie after lie with these people it took 19 weeks for us to get our spa i wish we could have cancelled it but i paid on my debit card if you have paid on your credit card you can do a charge back on it ring your bank and ask them to start that proceedure good luck iwish i never found spa serve or wish that some one could intercept their web page and tell people not to buy from them.

hi michelle we to have had the misfortune of purchasing a tub from spa serve we ordered it back in june 2008 and was told we would have it with in 6-8 weeks so after it didnt come then i started with the phone calls emails and letters and everytime i got no answers from these people just kept saying it was stuck overseas or in customs

Is this made over here? Who makes this POS spa?

They obviously don't care about Quality (or the customer) and you can tell they're not being wet tested when in production since they all seem to leak and are missing parts.