Free Warranty Extension For Spas

diamondg

Warranty Extension

American Express (and some Visa cards) offer a great warranty extension program. They will extend the manufacturer's warranty by one year. It excludes "motorized devices and their parts which are permanent additions or fixtures to a residential or commercial building." I called AmEx and the rep explained that hot tubs are included in the plan/

Has anyone used this warranty extension for a hot tub? It seems like it may be better to use an Amex, rather than to finance from the manufacturer.

How The American Express Buyer's Assurance Plan Works...

When a Cardmember charges the entire cost of a covered product with his or her Card account[1] the Buyer's

Assurance Plan will extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty for a period of time equal to the

duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year (up to three additional years for

Centurion Card members), on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S.

The Buyer's Assurance Plan mirrors manufacturers' warranties for covered products purchased entirely with

your Card account, up to one additional year (up to three additional years for Centurion Card members).

• When your covered product's manufacturer's warranty expires, the Buyer's Assurance Plan takes effect. The

Buyer's Assurance Plan cannot pay more than the actual amount charged to your Card for the item or $10,000;

whichever is less (not to exceed $50,000 per Cardmember account per policy year for all Occurrences

combined).

• Coverage is provided for any product malfunction, defect or damage covered by the terms of the product's

original warranty (“Occurrence”)- at no extra cost.

• For items charged entirely with the Card, the program administrator will decide whether to have the item

repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you (cash or credit[2]), not to exceed the original purchase price. The

Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly,

professional advice, maintenance or other service charges.[3]

ITEMS NOT COVERED

motorized devices and their parts which are permanent additions or fixtures to a residential or commercial

building;

I paid cash for mine, will the Fed extend my warranty for me?

We stopped honoring AmEx years ago - they charge me double the cost of using Master Card or Visa.

To those who don't realize: as a merchant, I pay about 1.65% of the total sale amount to allow you to use a Visa or Master Card. That would be $165 out of my pocket for a $10,000 total sale. And around $300 to do the same thing on AmEx. All of the cards also charge a fee per transaction, but that can be as small as $.25 each. However, it is amazing to get the statement at the end of the month and see a thousand or more dollars held back to cover these items. Less during the slower months, more during the busy season.

I'm not complaining, but I will say that it usually happens just like this: a customer will come in with four prices from other dealers. One which could/would actually sell to him, and three from other parts of the world with no chance of selling to them. They stare at me as if it is my obligation to meet or beat these prices. So, I swap them to a cheaper set of steps, a cheaper cover lift, offer a floor model, blem, demo cover, and of course they get the smaller chem kit and only one rubber ducky, but I may be able to meet the price. They say yes, and I write up the rather slim deal, muttering under my breth that I'm going to have to go do this delivery myself to keep from losing money on it.

THAT is when they pull out the AmEx and tell me that they "have to get their FREE miles."

You gotta love it.

B)

I can't believe I hijacked this thread - sorry.

I am very curious: have any of you gotten this extended service on a tub - or anything - and used it?

How did you get the service, and did you have to pay for it and then get reimbursed. If so, how long did it take, was it difficult to do, as in: forms to fill out, faxes to send, phone calls to make, waiting waiting waiting - or was it easy?

B)

I can't believe I hijacked this thread - sorry.

I am very curious: have any of you gotten this extended service on a tub - or anything - and used it?

How did you get the service, and did you have to pay for it and then get reimbursed. If so, how long did it take, was it difficult to do, as in: forms to fill out, faxes to send, phone calls to make, waiting waiting waiting - or was it easy?

B)

I did get a extended service on a H.P notebook but I will tell you it was a royal pain to get it covered by amx..... I had to charge the diagnostic and repair first then get it approved. took six months in all to resolve.