Antifreeze Use To Reduce Risks Of Freezing

wbanks

Hi all,

I have an outdoor hottub located in NC that probably will not be used this winter. I would prefer not to drain it. The temps here in the winter occassionally will drop to single digits, but for the most part the lows are in the twenties. Occassionally there are power outtages and this tub is at a property that is not regularly monitored.

My question: Is it OK to add RV/ marine antifreeze to the water to lower the freezing point? If so, are there any concerns that I need to be aware of? How much should I add? Will it be safe to use it in the spring or does it need to be drained prior to use? I am aware that the products available are supposed to be non toxic.

Thanks so much for all and any advise.

Doug Banks

I live in Paradise, so I don't have any first-hand experience with freezing conditions. However, I think that to get a stong enough concentration of antifreeze in a tub, you would have to add close to half the volume of the water, or perhaps at least 25%. So if you have a 500 gallon tub, you would need to add from one hundred twenty five gallons to as much as two hundred fifty gallons.

As I say, this is not my area of expertise when it comes to hot tubs. I have helped people winterize their tubs - lots of customers who have mountian homes around here - but they drain the tub and work the antifreeze into the plumbing, heater and pumps only. They use a shop vac or yard blower to get the plumbing as dry as they can prior to adding the AF.

What you might want to do is contact some of the Antifreeze manufacturers - try web sites and/or discussion boards. Further info might be found on RV web sites.

HTH

B)

RV antifreeze is fine, the important thing to take note of is that it is non toxic....A plumbing grade pool grade, rv grade will be fine

with the volume you will need it mught be better to drain and throw the anti freeze in to your skimmer lines with the filters out until you see a little antifreeze comming out of the jets, also blowing out your lines as previously mentioned

If you are concerned about the winterization of your spa you'd be best to hire a service company to winterize your tub. That way you will be covered if something were to go wrong over the winter. If you decide to do it yourself and just off chance something freezes and breaks then your on the hook for the repair. Its not hard to winterize a tub but if you want piece of mind hire a reputable company.

They are not asking about winterizing, they want to leave the tub full and add antifreeze.

B)

Well, I think that's what Doug is trying to avoid - closing the spa. I think, if I read his post right, that he wants to keep the tub full, running, and balanced, but wants to know if he can actually add the af to the water to give him some extra safety margin in case the power goes out.

B)

Hi all,

I have an outdoor hottub located in NC that probably will not be used this winter. I would prefer not to drain it. The temps here in the winter occassionally will drop to single digits, but for the most part the lows are in the twenties. Occassionally there are power outtages and this tub is at a property that is not regularly monitored.

My question: Is it OK to add RV/ marine antifreeze to the water to lower the freezing point? If so, are there any concerns that I need to be aware of? How much should I add? Will it be safe to use it in the spring or does it need to be drained prior to use? I am aware that the products available are supposed to be non toxic.

Thanks so much for all and any advise.

Doug Banks

Hmmmmmm. Drain now or drain later. Seems like it really wouldn't make much difference. When you want to start up again you would have to drain. I wonder what the mixing ratio is? You would think you would have to use enought to turn the water pink. How would you sanitize?

I think a drain and winterization is better.

Well, I think that's what Doug is trying to avoid - closing the spa. I think, if I read his post right, that he wants to keep the tub full, running, and balanced, but wants to know if he can actually add the af to the water to give him some extra safety margin in case the power goes out.

B)

Thanks Chas, you've got it right. I just need an extra bit of security.

Doug

Isn't antifreeze toxic? As in, it must be properly disposed of and can be put down the drain or sewer?

Yea theres potable water antifreeze or RV anti freeze thats non toxic and can be flushed. It's designed for drinking water systems and just needs to be rinsed out.

Doug!

I service WNC. Drain your spa! Use a Shopvac to blow out the lines and add a good squirt of Marine grade antifreeze with a turkey baster to each jet since there's always some water left over. IF you have some drain plugs on your pump open them up also. It's already been a tough winter around Asheville with broken lines. AS it was pointed out your going to need to drain and refill anyways. Of course I love new customers... Your better off draining.