Well Water

sue2louise

I feel your pain!!!! Our dealer sold us a pre filter that screws on the end of your garden hose. It did help quite abit. Imo We like the ph around 7.2 Something we started doing a little over a year ago is just fill the spa from our swimming pool. We use the same chemicals in both and do not cover the pool all winter. good luck steve

I feel your pain!!!! Our dealer sold us a pre filter that screws on the end of your garden hose. It did help quite abit. Imo We like the ph around 7.2 Something we started doing a little over a year ago is just fill the spa from our swimming pool. We use the same chemicals in both and do not cover the pool all winter. good luck steve

This sounds good, you could probably get one at Home Depot or Hardware store.

I have a prefilter on my well, mostly for sediment but I did get a good filter for it this time

and some of them will reduce or remove metals.

My well never had metal issues until just recently, I guess they can change over time.

John

Hi,

I have a new hot tub and filled it with my well water. My filter is now orange, I used a whole bottle of metal out.... any ideas for the PH level and rust. Everytime I add water, I'll have the same problems.

Any suggestions?

Sue

My parents have a Farm out in the Essex Ontario area. They well water there is LOADED with iron. The hose even rusts inside (and its plastic)

You prob have a similar problem

The biggest problem with well water can be the dissolved iron and manganese, we have an aerator and carbon filter that takes care of a lot of the problem. But there is still some iron and manganse in the end. I suspect this would be the case as well with a "pre-filter hose thing", the only way to get at the dissolved iron, etc. is through sufficient contact time with an oxidizer then filtration. So do not be surprised if after you shock, you still get discoloration. A very small amount of dissolved iron and manganese can cause discoloration and ugly staining.

My first fill with my new tub back in august had the same issue. Water turned yellowy orange, then i had a ring around the tub i had to scrub every day until eventually after cleaning the filter every day for a few days of the rust and iron iwas gone.

This time around i filled the tub with water and added 16oz of stain and scale control before adding any sanitizer, an hour later the water turned milky and very cloudy, i was a little bit bummed. What i should have done is added a clarifier shorty thereafter. The next morning i added some clarifier, then cleaned the filter the next morning and added one more dose, now the water is great (after 2-3 days). Best of all there was no staining i had to deal with. The filter also was just milky and cleaned up pretty good. After the tub water cleared completely, there was some mineral dust at the bottom of the tub which i suspect was bound up by the stain and scale control and was too heavy to reach the filter. Next time i may try a different brand of stain and scale control to see if the water can clear up faster. I might also try and heat the water up a little before i add the stain and scale control.

The whole time i kept my ph around 7.2, did not shock until the next morning after the fill (with dichlor).

If anybody else has methods they have used including successes and drawbacks, please share.