Outside Use - Question From Newbie

goldengirl

Ok, ok - don't laugh at this question! Up until TODAY (after reading someone's post about floating in his tub under the moonlight) I had thought we were putting our spa on our screened-in patio. Now I'm wondering if it should go outside. For those of you that do have yours outside -and if you're in Florida, so much the better - do you have problem with mosquitoes or gnats or anything of that nature? I'd hate to think I'd have to put bug spray on my face when I wanted to go out to my spa! I live in a heavily wooded area , although we have a cleared area for our house, which lets some sun in. I can imagine floating out there on a cool day - it sounds lovely! Much nicer than being inside under a roof. :rolleyes: I need your thoughts on this! Tomorrow is my wet-test of the 3 models on which we're basing our decision. I better make a change now if I'm going to do so! :blink:

Bit of a toss-up really. Are you an outdoor person? The pluses for having it in your screen porch would be no bugs, no leaves, and no rain. For some reason, rain really sucks. Cools you down too fast.

On the other hand, I sat out last night under a brilliant full moon, air temp was about 15F, stars were popping out all over. Was awesome. The night before was light snow, that was awesome too. Can't wait for a night with northern lights.

So I come down on the side of putting up with the, for me, minor drawbacks to get the advantages of being outdoors. Your mileage may vary.

Btw, cantilevered umbrella with zip off screen sides would let you change your mind at will.

Not sure where in Florida you are, but I live by the everglades. The reason I am getting a portable spa is BECAUSE I can put it in my screen. I know I would use it so much more, and feel like it is more a "part" of my home. I can still watch sunsets and not get eaten alive in my hot tub. The a/c can rush out in the summer. Part of my patio has a roof, part just screen, and part open. I am putting it in the screen only area. If you put it against the edge of the screen, I'm sure you would be able to enjoy the night sky pretty well. Stars are all around, not directly above, and you'll appreciate how bug-free it is.

Just my 2 cents.

Not sure where in Florida you are, but I live by the everglades. The reason I am getting a portable spa is BECAUSE I can put it in my screen. I know I would use it so much more, and feel like it is more a "part" of my home. I can still watch sunsets and not get eaten alive in my hot tub. The a/c can rush out in the summer. Part of my patio has a roof, part just screen, and part open. I am putting it in the screen only area. If you put it against the edge of the screen, I'm sure you would be able to enjoy the night sky pretty well. Stars are all around, not directly above, and you'll appreciate how bug-free it is.

Just my 2 cents.

Truely a toss up where you are. In Northern Minnesota it's a no brainer. The spring and fall tubbing season is so worth it out side. No bugs, very cool or even cold air makes for a vary enjoyable soaking experience under the stars. Even in the dead of winter when the sky is at it's most brialiant, as long as it isn't 20 below it is a very enjoyable time.

I appreciate you all giving me your thoughts on this!! I'm in central FL, so most of our weather is fine for being outside all the time. However, my patio is a narrow one off the back of my house - so while it is indeed screened, it has a roof. :( I can enjoy looking out, but not up! As I'm in the woods, bugs are a HUGE concern. We have a lot of mosquitoes at night. If I'm going to go to the trouble to do the umbrella with the screened sides, then I might as well stay inside. I'm leaning toward inside for now; I guess we can always have it moved outside later on, right? I just think that if it's out in my yard I might not be as inclined to go and get in at 2am as if it was on my back patio. We live WAY out in the country and neighbors aren't close by. It's VERY dark out there and a little "creepy" sometimes!!

:)

I appreciate you all giving me your thoughts on this!! I'm in central FL, so most of our weather is fine for being outside all the time. However, my patio is a narrow one off the back of my house - so while it is indeed screened, it has a roof. :( I can enjoy looking out, but not up! As I'm in the woods, bugs are a HUGE concern. We have a lot of mosquitoes at night. If I'm going to go to the trouble to do the umbrella with the screened sides, then I might as well stay inside. I'm leaning toward inside for now; I guess we can always have it moved outside later on, right? I just think that if it's out in my yard I might not be as inclined to go and get in at 2am as if it was on my back patio. We live WAY out in the country and neighbors aren't close by. It's VERY dark out there and a little "creepy" sometimes!!

If I were in your situation I think I would place it inside the screened porch. Mosquitos can put a damper on soaking. Missing out on the night time sky is probably a better decision than constant buzzing in your ears.

If I were in your situation I think I would place it inside the screened porch. Mosquitos can put a damper on soaking. Missing out on the night time sky is probably a better decision than constant buzzing in your ears.

I agree with tony. It will attract Mosquitos like crazy. one night this past summer we where invaided by the mosquitos. the spa heat is what does it.

. :rolleyes: I need your thoughts on this! Tomorrow is my wet-test of the 3 models on which we're basing our decision. I better make a change now if I'm going to do so! :blink:

I do own a home in Ft Lauderdale. we do have the back yard screened in. it helps when you are sitting by the pool.

'goldengirl' I live in So Central Fl. on the coast and I have 2 words for you. LOVE BUGS!!! :o Although it would be wonderful to look up and see an unobstructed sky, if I didn't put my tub on my screened in patio I probably would not have bought a hot tub in the first place. In fact, that in itself was a major reason that I bought my particular tub. The tubs size and capacity became some of the major factors in the decision process. Moving here from NYC was a rude awakening. I see animals that I only saw at the zoo (big snakes, lordy!) in my front yard all the time and I live on the coast. :o I can just imagine what critters are roaming the countryside. As far as bugs go, there is every pestilence known to modern man living in the bushes here as well. :lol: Living in paradise has its benefits and drawbacks. Outside backyard soaking is one of the drawbacks. Where I live the mosquitoes get sprayed regularly and it's not that bad except early in the morning from 7 - 10 and evenings from 5 - 7 so if I was adventuress I could chance an evening soak but I don't live in the country. :D I wish you all the best in your decision process. Biggz

Vote for bug free over clear sky too.

Lived in MA (woods) for 7 years. Thankfully we had a screened in porch, or we would never have gone outside during the 'non-frozen' months - skeeters would pretty much drain anything dry in 15 minutes around our woods. In FL the bug season must be about 51.5 weeks out of 52.

Maybe you can rig up a series of mirrors - or better yet, a SKYLIGHT over the tub, on the porch. Yeah - go fo the skylight.

I'm in CA now, bay area, and even though we have nearly 0 bugs, we spend a lot more time in our 4 season sunroom then we ever spend in the yard - unless we're in our tub, which is outside and pretty much bug free year round.

Bit of a toss-up really. Are you an outdoor person? The pluses for having it in your screen porch would be no bugs, no leaves, and no rain. For some reason, rain really sucks. Cools you down too fast.

On the other hand, I sat out last night under a brilliant full moon, air temp was about 15F, stars were popping out all over. Was awesome. The night before was light snow, that was awesome too. Can't wait for a night with northern lights.

So I come down on the side of putting up with the, for me, minor drawbacks to get the advantages of being outdoors. Your mileage may vary.

Btw, cantilevered umbrella with zip off screen sides would let you change your mind at will.

cplarsen

How right you are about last night. This was my first experience soaking on a beautiful clear night with full moon and very cold outside. We have had our tub since August. Cant wait for the snow.