Sundance Vs. Caldera & Others Pros & Cons

ivieisme

The more I shop the more confused I get! I wet tested the Sundance Optima Spas today:

Pros:

-Its a Sundance, duh.

-Dark mocha cabinet choice, I love that it is different and rich looking, and will hide dirt.

-Option to have external lights (also a con because they charge for this)

-really nice fit and finish, nice details and lights and waterfall

-no moving parts

-great foot mound

-each jet can be adjusted well

-Great stereo (never wanted one till I heard this one)

-Didn't really float because of the foot mound

-you can see how well it is made

Cons:

-External lights are expensive

-did not like the diverter system, I couldn't seem to get all the features my husband and I might want together on at the same time. I may be able to figure that out more though.

-They are very expensive. I offered $9200 for the floor model w/stereo and was turned down. Wouldn't go below $9800 (including steps, delivery, ozone, set up, cover) Even at that wouldn't throw in cover lifter and external lights, so over $10,200 for a wet floor model!!! Wants $9000 without stereo but still won't throw in cover lifter and external lights.

-Didn't like the metal handles, I like handles that have the lights silly details make a difference to me.

-Really like the Majesta, but they didn't even have a dry one to see. I'd like to know how high the cool down seat is.

-Is the Optima really worth $2000 more than the Chelsee???? Almost the same layout just the "lower" series?????

-No chelsee to try

Caldera Niagra ($8500 including lift, no stereo):

Pros:

-more jets

-The foot ridge keeps me in every seat

-like the calf massage, can move to achilles

-floor is roomier without mound (but I really like the Sundance mound too)

-wrist jets (but they don't do much)

-I like the neck pillow

-I like the light effects...the lighted grab bar, and external lights

-Clean cycle

Cons:

-From Rec Warehouse, even though they have 3 stores here

-The semi lounge has foot jets that are a waste, I don't like them (don't really like any bottom of foot jets, I love it on my achilles and calf though)

-no butt jets (low back & hip) Though I am not sure if Sundance had that.

-They don't offer the personal service the Sundance dealer had even though he was about 45 min -1 hour away.

-Doesn't offer the dark brown cabinet I loved on the Sundance

-No auxillary input on stereo if I decided to get one, and the stereo doesn't even compare.

I also like the Vita spas a lot. I tested the Caberet, and would like to test the Nuage ($7300).

Pros:

-Tons of stores here, all factory outlets, with good support & good reputation here.

-great prices

-Love/hate the colored lights (there are a ton of them, all around the edge, and they look really cool, but it may be a little cheesy)

- Love/hate the cup holder/ice holder--great usability, also a con because it is cheap black plastic

-Able to add a 3rd pump so more seats can be at full blast....tons of power

-Air/finger massage seats...love the icy cold feeling these jets give, very different

-Captain's seat holds you in with a toe ledge, offers head to toe massage (though the foot massage tickles)

-cool mist option good for Florida

-Aromatherapy air jets, while I hate scents, I like the cool air blowing since we are in florida.

-Good stereo w/mp3

Cons:

-Vita is not as premium

-Cheaper fit and finish, black, not spa colored cup holder

-NO option for outside lights

-Doesn't offer that dark brown color I like

-No cool down seat in Nuage

-Can't find a Nuage to try

-I'm 5'5.5" and can't reach the wrist massage when my head is in the neck pillow in the Caberet

I have ruled out D-1, Hot Springs/Tiger River, Freestyle, Dynasty, Thermospa and Leisure Bay (wet tested all but Freestyle & Thermospa)

I wish I can find one that gets my Trapezius muscles on either side of my neck (where my neck and shoulders meet on top) without dunking under too much. Dynasty was the only one who did that well but I didn't like the rest of the spa.

Any input????? I can't decide! Does anyone know if the "cool down seat" in the Majesta is in or out of the water? It might be neat to have a seat out of the water to sit and dunk feet if you don't want to get all wet. Do any spas have that?

I am partial to the Optima. Yes it is worth the extra money over the Chelsee...better electronics, different filter system, different jets. The Majesta looks like a great tub, but I've never been in one.

we originally wanted a Sundance Optima. At first I like the mound in the middle but tripped on it when I got out of the spa. My dealer quoted me a price of 9800 plus tax including delivery, chemicals, steps cover and lifter(no ozonator). Didn't like the fact that the dealer wanted a 75.00 driving fee every time they have to come to the house for a warrenty item(free for the first 90 days). We went to a Hot Springs/Caldera dealer and I liked the Grandee. We were all set to purchase the Grandee, then the Caldera Geneva cought my eye. I really liked the captains seat and the neck cushion on it. It holds you down and the 4 neck jets on it are KILLER. We put a deposit on a floor model(never filled with water). We made a deal at 9500 including everything-even the ozonator. I am not sure if this is a good price. From what I am seeing on some of the threads is that it probably should have been purchased at 8500 to 9000. As I see it, the Hot Springs, Caldera and Sundance are very reliable tubs and probably(hopefully) should not have any problems from either. Someone please help me in the price that I made the deal at.

I was quoted $7999 for the Geneva floor model, but realized the lounger was a waste. Quoted $8500 new. I like the Niagra better, because there is a "mini lounger" that doesn't waste space $8500 for that too. Caldera comes standard w/ozone, so they are not "throwing that in", my price included lifter & steps and delivery.

Well, I decided NOT to go with Sundance. He would not give me a cover lifter (quoted $349 LOL) and external lights ($150) for the floor model price of $9800 (w/stereo, ozone, rubber steps cover and delivery.)

Now between Caldera Niagra and Vita Cabereet or Nuage, though there is still a small chance of the Tiger River Caspian. No MP3 on the caldera is a bummer.

I was quoted $7999 for the Geneva floor model, but realized the lounger was a waste. Quoted $8500 new. I like the Niagra better, because there is a "mini lounger" that doesn't waste space $8500 for that too. Caldera comes standard w/ozone, so they are not "throwing that in", my price included lifter & steps and delivery.

Have you wet tested either one? I sell these tubs and believe just the opposite. The Geneva lounge is very usefull and I get absolutely nothing out of the Niagra's mini-lounge. I can't get comfortable in it either way I sit.

Have you wet tested either one? I sell these tubs and believe just the opposite. The Geneva lounge is very usefull and I get absolutely nothing out of the Niagra's mini-lounge. I can't get comfortable in it either way I sit.

I wet tested both. I float out of the lounge. But that is why I am hesitating, that seat is just weird.

I wet tested both. I float out of the lounge. But that is why I am hesitating, that seat is just weird.

What about the Tahitian or Moorea? 36" instead of 38"...you may not float out of those. I think the Tahitian is one of the best tubs out there for the money.

They don't have either of them wet. I tried the Aspire, and liked the smaller tub, but felt like the stereo is a waste because of no aux input. They say they don't sell the Hawaiian. I don't want a lounge. Besides therapy, I'm in there with kids. (2 & 10)

I wet tested the Caldera Niagra one more time, and realized it is my favorite. The neck pillow, armrest in one seat, volcano foot "euphoria" jet without taking up floor space, cool down seat and foot ridge make it a winner (I also really like the lighting system). If Caldera made a better brochure or website, my decision may have been made earlier, they just had nothing decent to look at in my decision making. Marketing needs work. The rec warehouse thing is also my hesitation, but I still keep coming back to this spa!

Rec warehouse had one advantage....because they have so many stores in Florida, they have a warehouse here, and they were able to find one in the warehouse in Orlando, 3 hours away in the colors I want.....so, looks like I'll get it next week!!!!

Woo Hoo!

$8395 w/cover lifter and steps and delivery and electrical box. I went without the stereo because there is no aux input, but being in a screened patio, I have plenty of places to mount speakers.

Due to some family issues, I have not purchased the spa yet. But now Sundance is lowering their price. The Sundance is BY FAR the prettiest spa. I love that Mahogony is an option, plus in the 800 series they have horizontal wood "shutters" that really look nice. This Hot tub can be seen from every room in my house, so I do care about looks!

Service is best from the Sundance dealer. It has a stereo. Therapy-wise, about equal. I like the neck pillow in the Caldera better though. I have family here, and don't want to wet test again, but I may have to just check out the Optima again. The Caldera has that great foot ridge, but the "hump" on the floor of the Optima may do the same thing....at this point I just can't remember!

I wet tested Caldera 3x and Sundance once. Sundance came down to $9500 for an Optima with Ozone, steps, lifter and stereo. Such a great deal, ordered in my colors. How can I pass that up?????

Due to some family issues, I have not purchased the spa yet. But now Sundance is lowering their price. The Sundance is BY FAR the prettiest spa. I love that Mahogony is an option, plus in the 800 series they have horizontal wood "shutters" that really look nice. This Hot tub can be seen from every room in my house, so I do care about looks!

Service is best from the Sundance dealer. It has a stereo. Therapy-wise, about equal. I like the neck pillow in the Caldera better though. I have family here, and don't want to wet test again, but I may have to just check out the Optima again. The Caldera has that great foot ridge, but the "hump" on the floor of the Optima may do the same thing....at this point I just can't remember!

I wet tested Caldera 3x and Sundance once. Sundance came down to $9500 for an Optima with Ozone, steps, lifter and stereo. Such a great deal, ordered in my colors. How can I pass that up?????

That is a good deal. I personally don't like a pillow that encircles your neck. The foot dome on the Optima is a real nice feature plus the filtration system and electronics on the 880 series Sundance spas are excellent.

Well, after all the testing I did alone, I finally convinced/nagged/bribed my husband to come. First stop, Caldera Niagra at rec Warehouse. This was my husband's first hot tub experience. He seemed to like it, though he is not the most verbal person.

Then, we drive 45 minutes to see the Sundance again in a small private store. Walking in to that showroom just blows me away. They are so much prettier! The rich cabinet colors look real and have great detail, and the variety of shell colors is great. I walked in and just WANTED one. I saw my husband react the same way.

We wet tested (me again), and it was good, still not as great as Caldera, but we were a bit rushed with family in town watching our kids. When we got in the car, my husband said "As nice as they are, I couldn't wait to get out of it!" He said while the Caldera felt good, the Sundance was like torture, even with the strength turned down. He hated the way the jets moved so much. Could you imagine what he would have thought of Hot Springs moto-massage???

Now that he is involved, I see even more how important it is to wet test....because the looks and reputation of Sundance would have made me buy it. If I went alone today, no question I would have bought it. I also would have used it alone for the next 10 years.

So just to compare one more, I'm taking him to my 3rd choice, Vita, and we'll see what he thinks!

I've had a Caldera Moorea for 3 months or so and love it! My wife wanted the lounger and I really didn't. Salesman told us how second time buyers that had the lounge didn't get it the second time around. I'll tell ya though I really like it once in a while! I don't use it all the time but in a while it's great! As the Moorea has various seating I don't see the space lost with a lounger a big deal. I was comfortable with the price of $7300 for everything (cover lifter, chemicals, delivery, steps, tax), the dealer was a big help and not pushy and they have a very good rep.

Salesman told us how second time buyers that had the lounge didn't get it the second time around. I'll tell ya though I really like it once in a while! I don't use it all the time but in a while it's great!

I'm curious as to why most folks wouldn't get a lounger again. I'm getting ready to buy, and did my wet tests yesterday. I LOVED the lounger in the Caldera Kauai - the foot jets are what sold me. Do you find that lounging gets old? Is it more comfortable/relaxing for longer periods of time to be sitting in one of the seats instead?

Thanks!

:)

Salesman told us how second time buyers that had the lounge didn't get it the second time around. I'll tell ya though I really like it once in a while! I don't use it all the time but in a while it's great!

I'm curious as to why most folks wouldn't get a lounger again. I'm getting ready to buy, and did my wet tests yesterday. I LOVED the lounger in the Caldera Kauai - the foot jets are what sold me. Do you find that lounging gets old? Is it more comfortable/relaxing for longer periods of time to be sitting in one of the seats instead?

Thanks!

:)

I never really find lounging getting "old" per say. It is very relaxing and a couple of times I almost fell asleep in it!! I usually move around the tub in my routine and the lounger is last before I turn it down low and enjoy the stars and the last of my

beverage. It's very hard to enjoy a drink in the lounge seat! :D

I'm curious as to why most folks wouldn't get a lounger again.

I can tell you why I didn't get one in my 2nd tub, after having one in my 1st...

(1) it's a waste of a side of the tub

(2) see (1)

I'd rather just have the seating - I can turn sideways in any of the corner seats and put my feet up, if for some reason having them float on their own is too much effort ;)

I picked a Caldera Niagara over a Sundance Optima because I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'4" and we sat up too high in the Optima to use the neck jets. Also, the foot jet hump in the Optima made my knees come up really high compared to the foot hold in the Caldera. I liked the Mahogany color of the Sundance better but decided that the Niagara was a better overall "therapy" tub.

Steve

I picked a Caldera Niagara over a Sundance Optima because I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'4" and we sat up too high in the Optima to use the neck jets. Also, the foot jet hump in the Optima made my knees come up really high compared to the foot hold in the Caldera. I liked the Mahogany color of the Sundance better but decided that the Niagara was a better overall "therapy" tub.

Steve

Do you mind telling what you paid for the Niagra?

Do you mind telling what you paid for the Niagra?

I have two Caldera dealers that are about the same distance apart. The first one quoted me a price of $9995 without a stereo even though I told him I was considering a Sundance Optima that was priced at $8895, again no stereo. I called another dealer and he gave me a price of $8995 and I could order whatever color combo I wanted. All of the above included cover, lifter, delivery, steps, etc.

Steve

Steve

Here in the Hudson Valley we had local dealers for Baja, Marquis and Caldera. We wet tested the Marquis Epic and was surprised how underpowered it was for the Consumer Reports best buy. The Caldera had great therapy so we bought the C-45, a modified version of the Geneva without the air bubble pump which we thought was a waste and added nothing to the hydrotherapy. I am 6'4" and I fit comfortably in the Geneva/C-45 lounger. I can even relax in the neck jet seat without crunching down. The depth and contour of the lounger as well as the heel holds make this one of the more comfortable loungers we sat in. The 38" depth of the tub made a big difference to us. Marquis is only 34" deep across the board; too shallow. I don't think I will float much in this lounger but I will let you know. Our C-45 shipped today and should be installed in about 2 weeks. We paid $6995 at Galati Pools in Newburgh. The Geneva was $8500 list. The air bubbles, 2 extra jets and 2nd control panel were not worth $1500 to us so I think we got a great deal. The Marquis Epic was $8000 and just didn't compare to the Caldera C-45 at $1000 less. I'll bet you will be quite happy with the Niagara.

I liked the Caldera seating over Sundance as the Sundance made us feel like our knees were too high. Also like to Eupgoria jet as you can get a good message for your thighs but shifting out of the seat a little. We previously had a lounger in a 15 year old spa and were not going to get another. After wet testing and all the improvements over the years, we decided to get another lounger. Now that we have it, it lounger is the coveted spot that everyone prefers.

Tony