Sundance Vs. Caldera & Others Pros & Cons

ivieisme

Well, we tested one more Vita today. My husband said it "did nothing" for him. So, I bought the Niagra.

$8000 inc. steps, cover lifter, delivery/setup, chemicals, and a 10' umbrella.

I'm very happy, and I am sure I made the right decision.

Since I put down $500 last week for one they found in my color preference a few hours away, it will be delivered Thursday. Electrician comes Friday, and I will hopefully be soaking Friday night! (In Florida, the water doesn't have far to go to heat up)

Hey Ivieisme,

I want to thank you and everybody else here for all of the great information. My wife and I have been researching for 6 months or so.

We pretty much settled on a Sundance Cameo for many reasons. Therapy, quality, fit and finish, good neck therapy (a big issue for me) and last but not least we are REALLY comfortable with the dealer! (10 miles away).

Just wondering....what again did your husband and you not like about the Optima? We wet tested and really liked it. But we liked the Cameo even better because of the lounge seat and effective neck jets.

I checked out Caldera several times online (our closet dealer is about 70 miles away). Are the "Atlas neck jets" above water? If so aren't they really loud? Are they strong? Just wondering. I am 5'9" and have a really looooong torso. The Cameo was the only tub that came close to hitting my neck with the neck jets.

Thanks........Sean

I too was looking for neck jets. Yes the Caldera is above water, but they are not the best I have found. Dynasty and LA have a reverse pull neck system that is great. I found that many other above water neck jets splashed a lot, but did not find that on my Caldera. My husband is about 5'10", and liked the seat w/neck jets.

I too was looking for neck jets. Yes the Caldera is above water, but they are not the best I have found. Dynasty and LA have a reverse pull neck system that is great. I found that many other above water neck jets splashed a lot, but did not find that on my Caldera. My husband is about 5'10", and liked the seat w/neck jets.

Oh yeah....he felt like the Sundance was uncomfortable because the jets moved so much and kind of stung. I didn't like the Sundance neck jets. They were too low. I liked the Tiger River neck jets too.

I checked out Caldera several times online (our closet dealer is about 70 miles away). Are the "Atlas neck jets" above water? If so aren't they really loud? Are they strong? Just wondering. I am 5'9" and have a really looooong torso. The Cameo was the only tub that came close to hitting my neck with the neck jets.

Thanks........Sean

Neck jets are above water and yes, any above water jet will be louder than a submerged jet. The key with above water neck jets is for them to have their own separate shut off valve so you can turn them on when you want them but when you're done you turn them off and can still enjoy the seat jets separately.

Everything is working....spa is at 88* all levels seem OK according to the 2 totally different test strips I have EXCEPT I'm not registering free chlorine. I've added twice. Hopefully it'll be OK. Considering we're in Florida and it is way too hot for this time of year, We're getting in with the kids around 8:00, no matter what!

• 10 months later...

The more I shop the more confused I get! I wet tested the Sundance Optima Spas today:

Pros:

-Its a Sundance, duh.

-Dark mocha cabinet choice, I love that it is different and rich looking, and will hide dirt.

-Option to have external lights (also a con because they charge for this)

-really nice fit and finish, nice details and lights and waterfall

-no moving parts

-great foot mound

-each jet can be adjusted well

-Great stereo (never wanted one till I heard this one)

-Didn't really float because of the foot mound

-you can see how well it is made

Cons:

-External lights are expensive

-did not like the diverter system, I couldn't seem to get all the features my husband and I might want together on at the same time. I may be able to figure that out more though.

-They are very expensive. I offered $9200 for the floor model w/stereo and was turned down. Wouldn't go below $9800 (including steps, delivery, ozone, set up, cover) Even at that wouldn't throw in cover lifter and external lights, so over $10,200 for a wet floor model!!! Wants $9000 without stereo but still won't throw in cover lifter and external lights.

-Didn't like the metal handles, I like handles that have the lights silly details make a difference to me.

-Really like the Majesta, but they didn't even have a dry one to see. I'd like to know how high the cool down seat is.

-Is the Optima really worth $2000 more than the Chelsee???? Almost the same layout just the "lower" series?????

-No chelsee to try

Caldera Niagra ($8500 including lift, no stereo):

Pros:

-more jets

-The foot ridge keeps me in every seat

-like the calf massage, can move to achilles

-floor is roomier without mound (but I really like the Sundance mound too)

-wrist jets (but they don't do much)

-I like the neck pillow

-I like the light effects...the lighted grab bar, and external lights

-Clean cycle

Cons:

-From Rec Warehouse, even though they have 3 stores here

-The semi lounge has foot jets that are a waste, I don't like them (don't really like any bottom of foot jets, I love it on my achilles and calf though)

-no butt jets (low back & hip) Though I am not sure if Sundance had that.

-They don't offer the personal service the Sundance dealer had even though he was about 45 min -1 hour away.

-Doesn't offer the dark brown cabinet I loved on the Sundance

-No auxillary input on stereo if I decided to get one, and the stereo doesn't even compare.

I also like the Vita spas a lot. I tested the Caberet, and would like to test the Nuage ($7300).

Pros:

-Tons of stores here, all factory outlets, with good support & good reputation here.

-great prices

-Love/hate the colored lights (there are a ton of them, all around the edge, and they look really cool, but it may be a little cheesy)

- Love/hate the cup holder/ice holder--great usability, also a con because it is cheap black plastic

-Able to add a 3rd pump so more seats can be at full blast....tons of power

-Air/finger massage seats...love the icy cold feeling these jets give, very different

-Captain's seat holds you in with a toe ledge, offers head to toe massage (though the foot massage tickles)

-cool mist option good for Florida

-Aromatherapy air jets, while I hate scents, I like the cool air blowing since we are in florida.

-Good stereo w/mp3

Cons:

-Vita is not as premium

-Cheaper fit and finish, black, not spa colored cup holder

-NO option for outside lights

-Doesn't offer that dark brown color I like

-No cool down seat in Nuage

-Can't find a Nuage to try

-I'm 5'5.5" and can't reach the wrist massage when my head is in the neck pillow in the Caberet

I have ruled out D-1, Hot Springs/Tiger River, Freestyle, Dynasty, Thermospa and Leisure Bay (wet tested all but Freestyle & Thermospa)

I wish I can find one that gets my Trapezius muscles on either side of my neck (where my neck and shoulders meet on top) without dunking under too much. Dynasty was the only one who did that well but I didn't like the rest of the spa.

Any input????? I can't decide! Does anyone know if the "cool down seat" in the Majesta is in or out of the water? It might be neat to have a seat out of the water to sit and dunk feet if you don't want to get all wet. Do any spas have that?

I just purchaced a Chelsee for less than 7k. Comes with oz, steps, extra filter, blanket, etc.