Spa Covers And Raccoons

four years ago we had a new spa cover made by a local company. within a few months our local raccoons had vandalized it by chewing on the corner of one side. i didn't think it was that big a deal and looked in vain for a vinyl repair kit to fix it, and finally gave up. before long, that side seemed to have gotten waterlogged and now weighs about 3 times what the other side does. it seems to get heavier in rainy season and lightens up in the fry season, but not completely. the plastic sheet on the underside was collecting water so i pierced it with a few small drain holes. i don't know if it was condensation from below or rain from above.

the whole thing is now pretty much old and cracked now and we're replacing it. for future reference, is there anyway to keep critters from chewing on it, repairing it if they do, and protecting it from sun deterioration?

also do they make any cover lifters that work on a deck flush mount tub? it might not matter though if it doesn't get waterlogged and heavy.

bs

From my experience in canoe camping and also with our house in the woods in the country, I have not seen nor heard of any effective remedy to keep racoons at bay. They are usually are attracted to food or perhaps lotions that may attract them. I surmise that someone must have either been handling food or had lotion on the hands when they opened the cover thereby leaving the scent on the cover.

I tried everything on camping trips from hanging food between trees to putting our food into the canoe and floating it out in the water holding the end of the rope underwater with a rock. They have found the ropes, pulled the canoe into shore, and gotten the food. We sprayed pepper spray and other repellants on the ropes and around camp and it didn't stop them. When we had our sail boat, they even climbed aboard from the dock, lifted the screen in our hatch and got into the galley. I believe they have a new racoon doctorate program that the racoons can take free of charge including many filed trips.

So just keep the cover and area around it clean. If they do end up chewing the cover, you can get heat shrink plastic from any marina, take the insulation out of the cover and wrap/shrink the plastic with a hair dryer. Some marinas also sell vinyl repair that can be ironed or sewn onto a cover.

Tony

I have found that the only way to deal with raccoons is to put them in the federal witness relocation program. They are sooooooo easy to trap. Since they are very territorial, getting rid of one keeps the area free for a long long time. You can buy a "friendly" trap at home depot. Throw in a couple marshmallows and find a nice place for them to start their new life.

Most likely they're simply going after the water. If you leave them another water supply, they'll probably/possibly leave the spa alone.

A few years ago I had raccoon problems. They were eating my cat food... and the cat food is in the kitchen :-) Called the state fish and game to see if there was anything I could do. I wanted to trap and relocate them. I was told, I could not do this as it was illegal to relocate wildlife. The suggestion they gave me was to trap them, then submerge the trap (with raccoon inside) in a garbage can full of water. WHAT? I can kill them but not relocate them? And I can do this legally? "Yes sir" was the answer....... cats are now indoor cats and there's no way for the other critters to get in.

The problem is wherever you take the raccoon to, already has plenty of raccoons.

And dumping a raccoon in a strange territory, well, you might as well just go ahead and kill it. Won't even get into spreading diseases.

Then there's the problem of what's going to replace the raccoon you just got rid of. Might be another raccoon, might be a skunk...

All valid points cp and things I considered. I did alot of research and it was pointed out that eventually another raccoon could move into it's place. Hopefully, the new one will not know where my kitty door is. Fortunately, it was said that if this does happen, it would be after a lengthy period of time. Based on raccoons being territorial, it is possible that a newly introduced raccoon could be driven away by a raccoon that has already established it's territory. So it will have to move on until it finds it's own place. It is not a death sentence if it is placed in a rural area with a water supply. Atleast it has a chance, which it does not have with a garbage can full of water. Wildlife rehabilitators release animals, including raccoons, into the wild all the time. I can't believe I just spent 5 minutes of my time justifying not torturing and killing an animal.

All valid points cp and things I considered. I did alot of research and it was pointed out that eventually another raccoon could move into it's place. Hopefully, the new one will not know where my kitty door is. Fortunately, it was said that if this does happen, it would be after a lengthy period of time. Based on raccoons being territorial, it is possible that a newly introduced raccoon could be driven away by a raccoon that has already established it's territory. So it will have to move on until it finds it's own place. It is not a death sentence if it is placed in a rural area with a water supply. Atleast it has a chance, which it does not have with a garbage can full of water. Wildlife rehabilitators release animals, including raccoons, into the wild all the time. I can't believe I just spent 5 minutes of my time justifying not torturing and killing an animal.

It takes a "special" type of person to drown an animal when other options may be available.

Please no hunting analogies. I just think this is a bit cruel.

In my state Game and Fish say:

For the purposes of this section, any person, any member of such person's family, or any employee of the person may hunt, trap, or take black-billed magpies, common crows, starlings, English or house sparrows, common pigeons, coyotes, bobcats, red foxes, raccoons, jackrabbits, badgers, marmots, prairie dogs, pocket gophers, Richardson's ground squirrels, rock squirrels, thirteen-lined ground squirrels, porcupines, crayfish, tiger salamanders, muskrats, beavers, exotic wildlife, and common snapping turtles on lands owned or leased by the person without securing licenses to do so, but only when such wildlife is causing damage to crops, real or personal property, or livestock. Any person may kill skunks or rattlesnakes when necessary to protect life or property. The pelts or hides of any mammals taken under this subsection (9) may be transferred, possessed, traded, bartered, or sold by a person who holds an appropriate small game license.

I am in a suburban subdevelopment, and just had a huge raccoon break through the top of my screened patio last week ($100 to fix), luckily it didn't fall in....they are everywhere!

Now, we'll have to break the screen ourselves to take delivery of our new spa!

• 2 years later...
four years ago we had a new spa cover made by a local company. within a few months our local raccoons had vandalized it by chewing on the corner of one side.

bs

i hate to dredge up an old thread, but we replaced that cover with a new one a year ago. the raccoons have stayed away, but now a branch fell on it and tore a hole several inches long. does anyone know where i can get a vinyl repair kit to fix it and somewhat match the grey color? i went to my local spa store and they were no help.

We had a big mean Tomcat who kept everything out of our yard and the neighbor's yards on either side of us too, no mice, moles, rats, birds of any kind, raccoons, possums, everything!

We knew when he was fighting raccoons though, it'd get really noisy! About half the time, an encounter with a raccoon would require a trip to the vet to get him stitched up. They stayed away after meeting him though!

He lived outside and patrolled the perimeter for 21 years. Even when he was old and feeble, wild critters gave our house a wide berth.

Dave