Sundance Maxxus Energy Use

mikesnowman

• 2 months later...
I am thinking aobut getting the Sundance Maxxux. It will be hooked up to 50 amp service. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of energy consumption.

Thanks

Did you ever get the hot tub? I have an Altamar and it seems to use way more energy than my brother-in-law's Dimension One. How much Kwh/day does it use?

I am thinking aobut getting the Sundance Maxxux. It will be hooked up to 50 amp service. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of energy consumption.

Thanks

Did you ever get the hot tub? I have an Altamar and it seems to use way more energy than my brother-in-law's Dimension One. How much Kwh/day does it use?

Thanks

I did get the tub.

My first bill was around $50. That was for 25 days of use and 5 days a week for 20 minutes. I set it to 104. My rates are .08/kwh. The last bill was a doozy, but I think christmas lights hurt me as well. We are figuring 50-65 a month. I am using the standard mode. I wonder if the economy mode would work?

Thanks

I did get the tub.

My first bill was around $50. That was for 25 days of use and 5 days a week for 20 minutes. I set it to 104. My rates are .08/kwh. The last bill was a doozy, but I think christmas lights hurt me as well. We are figuring 50-65 a month. I am using the standard mode. I wonder if the economy mode would work?

Sounds about right in line. Congrats on your spa and enjoy!

You used roughly 625 killowatts and that probably will go down just a tad as you had to initially heat up the spa. I think when checking a spas energy usage, it is much more accurate to measure kwh versus dollars but you gave the cost so it was easy to figure.

Thanks

I did get the tub.

Sounds about right in line. Congrats on your spa and enjoy!

You used roughly 625 killowatts and that probably will go down just a tad as you had to initially heat up the spa. I think when checking a spas energy usage, it is much more accurate to measure kwh versus dollars but you gave the cost so it was easy to figure.

I bought the Infinity Sun Peak Spa from Costco and I use around 350 kwh a month with it... this is from another thread. I wish we could use a thread for energy usage of spas that had owners in real life share rather then a dealer that sells them tell us what hypothetically they should be.

Thanks

I did get the tub.

So it looks like you used 625 KwH/day for the first month. That is pretty high, 25Kwh/day. Do you have the kind of bill that breaks out Kwh/day? If so, can you tell me what that is and how it compares to the year before when you didn't have the tub? My electric company breaks the bill out that way. Perhaps you can also touch base next month to see what the use is. I am trying to figure out if my Altamar has something wrong with it or if it just uses a lot of electricity compared to some of the more efficient tubs.

I bought a Maxxus 3 months ago. Installed in late October, have been very happy with my choice. First full month of electric service was 550 kilowatt hours, or 18.3 kilowatt hours per day. Here is some more info:

• Location west of Boston-MA, rather cold climate is a good "worst case"
  • Average daily temperature ranged from 26 to 55 F. Average temp for Nov was 39.7F
  • Temperature setting of hot tub is 104F
  • 60 AMP hookup
  • Always Standard Mode (uses most energy)
  • Soak 3 to 4 times per week
  • Local electric rate is 9.7 cents per KWHr, translates to $53 dollars per month directly related to hot tub

This is what I expected since the dealer told me in advance electric costs would run between 30 and 60 dollars per month depending on outdoor temperature, tub settings, etc. I don't have my December bill yet, but I expect Kilowatt hours will increase since Dec was a colder month compared to Nov. I will post more info when available.

By the way, there is an economy mode to lower costs, but the tradeoff is a cooler tub. I tried the economy mode, but the tub would not hold the 104 set temperature, and gradually fell to 96F over two days during October. The Maxxus manual states clearly: Standard mode is required to maintain higher temperatures in colder climates.

The cost is less than what I pay for telephone or cable TV, and the experience is definitely worth it!

I bought a Maxxus 3 months ago. Installed in late October, have been very happy with my choice. First full month of electric service was 550 kilowatt hours, or 18.3 kilowatt hours per day. Here is some more info:
  • Location west of Boston-MA, rather cold climate is a good "worst case"
  • Average daily temperature ranged from 26 to 55 F. Average temp for Nov was 39.7F
  • Temperature setting of hot tub is 104F
  • 60 AMP hookup
  • Always Standard Mode (uses most energy)
  • Soak 3 to 4 times per week
  • Local electric rate is 9.7 cents per KWHr, translates to $53 dollars per month directly related to hot tub
This is what I expected since the dealer told me in advance electric costs would run between 30 and 60 dollars per month depending on outdoor temperature, tub settings, etc. I don't have my December bill yet, but I expect Kilowatt hours will increase since Dec was a colder month compared to Nov. I will post more info when available.

By the way, there is an economy mode to lower costs, but the tradeoff is a cooler tub. I tried the economy mode, but the tub would not hold the 104 set temperature, and gradually fell to 96F over two days during October. The Maxxus manual states clearly: Standard mode is required to maintain higher temperatures in colder climates.

The cost is less than what I pay for telephone or cable TV, and the experience is definitely worth it!

Thanks for the information. My tub used 18.5 Kwh/day this past month but I live in California where the temperatures are between 40 and 65F. Also, our electricity is way more expensive. There are tiers depending on how much yu use and the usage from the tub brought me into the .33/kwh bracket for a bunch of it. Also, my brother-in-laws D1 tub uses half of what my Sundance Altamar does.

Anything including Soakers statements are puerly speculation until you get your tub metered.

How would I do that?

Ask your dealer if he can meter it for you. It hooks up inline between your spa and your service and meters the KWH usage for a month of normal use.