Need Help Figuring Out My Pool/spa Valve Postioning

I could really use some help figuring out these two valves on my pool/spa. We were going to use the spa last night, turned on the heater and moved the valve to what we thought was the correct position to just heat the spa and not the pool. Well, first we had problems with the heater, it sounded like there was something ready to come apart inside, sounded like someone put a basketball in a clothes dryer, so I turned it off. So, we went to bed disappointed, only to wake up to an empty spa, ha-ha! So, I could use some help in figuring out these valves, what do they do, and what position I need them to be in for heating up the spa only? Also, since it appears the spa emptied into the pool, can I just fill it back up with a hose or will the pump fill it back up with the water from the pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a url with pictures of our system.

My link

Your suction valve is in a position where it is drawing from both pool and spa equally. You don't want that. Look at pic. #3 The valve on the left is ok for pool mode and the one on the right needs to be adjusted so that the handle is pointing to the right. 90 degrees clockwise or toward the "pool" side.

For spa, point both handles toward "spa" or inward at each other. Enjoy.

Your suction valve is in a position where it is drawing from both pool and spa equally. You don't want that. Look at pic. #3 The valve on the left is ok for pool mode and the one on the right needs to be adjusted so that the handle is pointing to the right. 90 degrees clockwise or toward the "pool" side.

Thanks for your help. So, now that the spa drained itself into the pool, do we just use a garden hose to fill the spa back up, or can we just turn on the pump again to use the pool water to fill the spa back up?

Thanks for your help. So, now that the spa drained itself into the pool, do we just use a garden hose to fill the spa back up, or can we just turn on the pump again to use the pool water to fill the spa back up?

Also, I forgot to mention, the spa waterfalls into the pool, if the suction handle is to the right for pool mode, will the pump still circulate the water from spa to pool back to spa for daily water circulation operation?

You can leave it in "pool mode" and let it fill back up (kinda slow), or rotate the return side valve to spa, and all the water that the pump draws from the pool will now go into the spa. Just don't forget to return the valve when its full.

Awesome, thank you very much for your help. Would it hurt to leave the return to spa so when my pool pump does it's normal daily circulation, it pumps from the pool and returns to spa, then the spa waterfalls back into pool?