Spa Ratings

wantaspa2

My personal opinion is that any "rating body" that doesn't tell you who they are should be dismissed. This could be a spa manufacturer or one guy putting out his opinion on how tubs look from their websites. Either way, you'll never know because they are pretty vague on who poolandsparatings.com is. I think you'll have better luck ignoring all the online "ratings websites" and focusing on experiences of users on forums like this and teh dependability (i.e. BBB rating) of the dealer you are going to buy the tub from.

My personal opinion is that any "rating body" that doesn't tell you who they are should be dismissed. This could be a spa manufacturer or one guy putting out his opinion on how tubs look from their websites. Either way, you'll never know because they are pretty vague on who poolandsparatings.com is. I think you'll have better luck ignoring all the online "ratings websites" and focusing on experiences of users on forums like this and teh dependability (i.e. BBB rating) of the dealer you are going to buy the tub from.

I agree, very vague and not logical information on that site.

Registrant:

CHT

137 Davenport Drive

Lynchburg, Virginia 24501

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: POOLANDSPARATINGS.COM

Created on: 13-Jun-06

Expires on: 13-Jun-09

Last Updated on: 19-May-07

Administrative Contact:

Smith, Andrew allthestrangehours@charter.net

CHT

137 Davenport Drive

United States

4342318901 Fax --

Technical Contact:

Smith, Andrew allthestrangehours@charter.net

CHT

137 Davenport Drive

United States

4342318901 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.SECURESERVER.NET

NS2.SECURESERVER.NET

I would recommend checking out www.spasearch.org's Certified and Approved section to see the best ratings! ;)

I'm sorry Crystal, but any "Best Of" list that includes Thermospas (133 complaints in the last 36 months according to the Better Business Bureau) or CalSpa (75 complaints in the last 36 months) loses any semblance of credibility, in my opinion. <_<

Terminator

I would recommend checking out www.spasearch.org's Certified and Approved section to see the best ratings! ;)

I'm sorry Crystal, but any "Best Of" list that includes Thermospas (133 complaints in the last 36 months according to the Better Business Bureau) or CalSpa (75 complaints in the last 36 months) loses any semblance of credibility, in my opinion. <_<

Terminator

I would have to agree with that one.

I would agree that looking solely at the brochure, and even looking briefly at the product often gets fuzzy results. I can recal more than one 'reviewer' who looked at T Spa and came away with a great review beacuase one of their models offered over 150 'jets.' But that spa turned out to have only half of those 'jets' as actual jets, and the other half were air outlets. And their "horsepower ratings" were so high that it would have taken a 100 amp box to run them at the same time. Also, they had an impressive list of four pumps on one model. It turned out to be two jet pumps, one circ/filter pump, and an air blower.

I'm not just picking on TSpa - I helped a customer replace a motor on a Master Spa the other day - it was marked with a large 5HP sticker. But it was a three horsepower pump/motor. What did "5HP" stand for? Only Master knows for sure, but if you glanced at the brochure, or even under the skirt of the spa without digging a bit, you would have been fooled. Many makers do the same from time to time. So - a good reviewer needs to be tub savvy, and needs to know how to look at a spa and not the brochure.

I think a good rating system should include basic 'honesty' in the various promotional materials. Want to help shoppers? Tell them who has real, tested, dependable numbers and who has to be checked more carefullly. In other words - "Brand X claim they have four total horsepower, and our technician found that to be true."

And, as Chris said above, if a company has many complaints, or has a history of not honoring their warranty, or especially if there are several folks who felt the need to post 'brand X sucks' web sites to chronical thier experiences with trying to get service, then I think that information should be available in a good review, along with a simple rough number indicating the approximate number of tubs a maker puts out.

What I mean by that, is that if HotSpring gets five angry customers in a month, that is a tiny part of one percent. That's not a bad number, and it shows that thousands upon thousands of customers were happy. On the other hand, if a mom-and-pop tub builder/rebrander gets five complaints in a month, that very well could be their entire output for that month! This would be good to know when shopping.

B)