Electrical Question- -wire Gauge?

blake

My pre delivery guide for my hottub states the following: "your new spa requries a dedicated 50 amp GFCI service with four #6 AWG copper wires.....You can use #6 for distances up to 85 feet. Wire runs over 85 feet must increase to #4 gauge." Are they talking for the TOTAL run or just from the GFCI breaker to the spa? # 4 for the total run seems to be major overkill, but I do not want to void my warranty. The spa company's phone people cannot answer with any degeree of confidence. My electrician told me the run from my main to the GFCI is 160- 170 feet max, the spa is less that 10 feet away from the GFCI box..............any comments?

With a run that big from your panel to the gfci, you would definately want to upgrade. But, the only thing that suprises me is saying #6 is standard and you should upgrade to #4. I would think #8 would be standard and you should upgrade to #6, especially if you only require a 50 amp breaker. What spa are you buying?

Make sure that a 50A will run the pumps and the heater! You may need a 60A to run the pumps and the heater at the same time! This is the case with my Sundance Altamar if I would have taken the dealers advice I would have only has a 50 amp box and the heater would not run when both pumps are running. ASK TO SEE THE OWNER'S MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!