Diverter Valve Noise

winkingwino

:o Hello again. Another question. I also get a lot of diverter valve noise with my pump 1 diverter on my Caldera Hawaiian. Had the dealer out to look at it and his comment was. Hummm, first I've heard of this... Caldera also claimed ignorance. The diverter valve for pump 2 is not noisy, but it sure is for pump 1. Should I ask the dealer to change the pump out? Pump 2 also has a problem with shutting down. Once, it lasted 45 minutes and shut itself off and would not come back on until several hours later. It's been okay since then, but last night it shut itself down again after about 1 1/2 hours. Normal? Appreciate your feedback...

:o Hello again. Another question. I also get a lot of diverter valve noise with my pump 1 diverter on my Caldera Hawaiian. Had the dealer out to look at it and his comment was. Hummm, first I've heard of this... Caldera also claimed ignorance. The diverter valve for pump 2 is not noisy, but it sure is for pump 1. Should I ask the dealer to change the pump out? Pump 2 also has a problem with shutting down. Once, it lasted 45 minutes and shut itself off and would not come back on until several hours later. It's been okay since then, but last night it shut itself down again after about 1 1/2 hours. Normal? Appreciate your feedback...

It is possible that Pump 1 has the wrong impeller in it. Too big for the motor and will cause both the noise and the overheat.

I'd start with the valve before tearing out the pump impeller. It's a small manual control valve, at points of higher pipe velocity (based on position of the valve actuator) it's going to be more noisy across obstructions such as valve bodies. This is fluid dynamics and not suprising.

However, you may possibly have an obstruction at the valve? This could increase your pressure loss across that valve, making a lot of noise, and work the pump much harder.

My Geneva diverters make some noise at positions just shy of full open, as I'd expect them to. But I have no issues with pumps overheating, and the noise isn't loud enough to hear outside of the hottub.

Yes, checked inside the valve and there is no obstruction. Even replaced the valve with the one from Pump 2 and the noise still exists. Just a loud water movement noise, even when the valve is in the middle and not diverting to any one position...

Generally diverter valves will be noisier in the middle vs all the way one way or the other. If this is the case, it is normal.

Hmm, it's even noisy in the middle position? I can't hear the valve noise over the pump in the middle position. How loud are we talking here? A background noise or something you have to raise your voice to compete with?

Mine always make "some" noise but it's only remotely loud in certain positions, like just shy of full open (counterclockwise).