Converting To Salt Water

ronc

I copied this from a website that I was reading:

Salt Chlorine Generators, also referred to as Salt Chlorinators, Saltwater Chlorinators or Salt Chlorination Systems, are actually miniaturized chlorine manufacturing plants: the same technology is utilized. The devices are plumbed in-line and work by electrolytically converting salt, in the spa or hot tub water, into chlorine as it passes over specially coated titanium electrode plates. Salt must be added to the water prior to start up, as directed. Thereafter, salt need only be added occasionally, to replace that lost due to splash out, pump outs or backwashing. The device generates Free Chlorine and destroys odorous and irritating chloramines, as the water passes through the cell. Chlorine production is regulated by a controller setting and the equipment operates in conjunction with the timer controlling the filter. Properly used, there is much less sensation of chlorine being present. The other water analysis parameters must be maintained, as with any chlorine-maintained spa or hot tub. It certainly is easy-to-use and convenient and lends itself to automation. Clicking on the underlined and highlighted "keywords" or "catch phrases," in the archived answers will give you access to additional information on that topic or product. Please refer to the Glossary, if there are terms or phrases that require explanation.

It may be easier to maintain your chlorine levels, but it is not a "chlorine free" system.

That is a very important point. Also - keep in mind that even during times when you have turned the system down or off, and there is little or no chlorine in the spa, you still have the salt. So there will be more corrosive action on any parts which are not plastic. Parts such as pump shaft seals and heaters.

And there are no true 'automatic' systems. Even the expensive systems which test the water and administer chemicals based on the test results need care and adjustments from time to time.

One last thing - any such system will have at its heart a cell of some type which converts the salt to chlorine. That cell has a finite life. Some systems use the more expensive metals, which last longer but cost more to replace. Other companies tend to less noble metals, but build in a warranty which basicly means you <b>will</b> replace the cell once during the warranty period, but they will buy you the part - you will install it.

Finally - I find that using Dichlor in my spa means that when I soak, there is virtually no chlorine. No odor, no extra drying of skin, no bleaching of hair or cloth. The chlorine goes in after use, and is all but gone by the next use. This is not possible with a salt system - they are desinged to keep a level of chlorine at all times, and as I said above, you will always have the salt in the water with you.

B)

And there are no true 'automatic' systems. Even the expensive systems which test the water and administer chemicals based on the test results need care and adjustments from time to time.

There is an automatic dosing system called The Liquidator that is designed for pools but should work for spas as well though I don't know anyone who has tried that (yet). The system is described here and is talked about in this thread. However, it only doses when the pump is on and would need manual adjustment to maintain the appropriate level of chlorine. It won't have the advantage Chas mentions of having a higher chlorine level after you get out of the tub and minimal chlorine level when you get in so you are likely to smell more chlorine -- but won't have to remember to check on it except once a week to test levels (once it has been adjusted and stabilized).

Richard