Replacing Ozonator On 2000 Caldera Geneva - Continuous Filtering Issue

DmK

Hi,

I am getting a used 2000 Caldera Geneva hot tub installed and, after opening up the panel and reading the manual, it turns out that it's still using an old pre-2001 Caldera UV Pure Water ozonator (not the newer Monarch CD ones). The UV bulb still lights up, but I am pretty sure that it's no longer effective due to age. Is that correct? If so, I'd like to replace my ozonator with a newer CD one. After some research it sounds like Del Platinum or Standard Eclipse is the way to go (~$100-120). My question is the life expectancy. The platinum model has 15000 life span with non-replaceble CD chips. They say it should be enough for 7 years. However, Geneva spa has a continuous filtration system / separate circulation pump, which means ozonator also runs 24/7 (according to the manual and Caldera website). With my calculations, 15000 hours is only enough for ~1.5 years. And if I get a Standard Eclipse, that one will only run for 9000 hours, which is 1 year (at 24/7). So... what am I missing? How do Caldera's new Monarch CD Ozonators work and last so long without needing CD chip replacement (I read on this board that they are good for lifetime of the spa)... is there a way to make the ozonator only work so many hours a day instead of running 24/7? What's the best ozonator to get for my spa?

Thanks very much,

Dmitriy

Hi,

I am getting a used 2000 Caldera Geneva hot tub installed and, after opening up the panel and reading the manual, it turns out that it's still using an old pre-2001 Caldera UV Pure Water ozonator (not the newer Monarch CD ones). The UV bulb still lights up, but I am pretty sure that it's no longer effective due to age. Is that correct? If so, I'd like to replace my ozonator with a newer CD one. After some research it sounds like Del Platinum or Standard Eclipse is the way to go (~$100-120). My question is the life expectancy. The platinum model has 15000 life span with non-replaceble CD chips. They say it should be enough for 7 years. However, Geneva spa has a continuous filtration system / separate circulation pump, which means ozonator also runs 24/7 (according to the manual and Caldera website). With my calculations, 15000 hours is only enough for ~1.5 years. And if I get a Standard Eclipse, that one will only run for 9000 hours, which is 1 year (at 24/7). So... what am I missing? How do Caldera's new Monarch CD Ozonators work and last so long without needing CD chip replacement (I read on this board that they are good for lifetime of the spa)... is there a way to make the ozonator only work so many hours a day instead of running 24/7? What's the best ozonator to get for my spa?

Thanks very much,

Dmitriy

Can we have a feel for why you think an O3 generator is a must have? If your calculations are correct over the life of the Ozonator do you think there will be a reduction in sanitizer additions to offset the cost? Or are you using the ozonator to help maintain your water between uses and additions? One thing is for certain with any ozonator 24/7 operation to introduce O3 to the water is your best bet to get any measurable effectivness out of them. And even then it's effectivness is hard to quantify. But it will also be the most detrimental to your cover and cushions.

I am an advocate of O3 as a supplement to a good sanitation system. But I don't think it is a must have. Not sure on the Caldera if there is a way to shorten it's operation during filtration. I used to use a 49 dollar UV unit and replace it every year or so.

Well, I figured that O3 would reduce the chemical usage and make it easier to maintain the water balance. Seems like you have a lot less of a chance of getting water problems with O3 even if you don't put enough bromine / chlorine. Do you know how Caldera manages to have their Monarch CD work 24/7 and still last forever? Or is this not true? I read it on this board somewhere... Also, while 24/7 operation may make sense for low power UV, but does it really need to operate 24/7 when we are replacing it with Del Platinum CD ozonator (which probably has ~4-5 times higher concentration of ozone - according to Del, at least...)

Does it really affect the cushions and cover? I didn't know that... I thought less chemicals would result in longer lasting shell / materials.

Thanks

Can we have a feel for why you think an O3 generator is a must have? If your calculations are correct over the life of the Ozonator do you think there will be a reduction in sanitizer additions to offset the cost? Or are you using the ozonator to help maintain your water between uses and additions? One thing is for certain with any ozonator 24/7 operation to introduce O3 to the water is your best bet to get any measurable effectivness out of them. And even then it's effectivness is hard to quantify. But it will also be the most detrimental to your cover and cushions.

I am an advocate of O3 as a supplement to a good sanitation system. But I don't think it is a must have. Not sure on the Caldera if there is a way to shorten it's operation during filtration. I used to use a 49 dollar UV unit and replace it every year or so.

I don’t think I have ever conclusively seen ozone linked to pillow damage per say. What I do find is that without the ozone system, typically people are told 3-5ppm of sanitizer. and with an ozone system you can reduce it to about 1ppm. Add a mineral stick type product (if available with your chem. package of choice) and you can typically reduce that to 1/2ppm. I see a lot of is over sanitation that results in the damage noted. People still maintaining 3-5 even with ozone.

Here in Florida, the CD ozonators (at least the first few generations we experimented with) were generally regarded as evil. The humidity conditions contributed to chip corrosion, which resulted in nitric acid production, and rapid pH swings. I will generally recommend a UV system locally even though they drop off in ozone production sooner (assuming no chip corrosion on a CD which I have had to do as often as every 6 months in FL). For most of my customers it’s more of a comfort and smell (lack of chem. smell) vs. actual cost savings. Also seems for new spa owners that an ozone system of either type make the spa a little easier while the new owners learn spa chemistry 101.

As a side note, there were certain plastics (on plumbing) that ozone could break down. Most companies went to UV resistant plastics, kynar, etc. Typically (from reputable manufacturers) modern jets, pillows, filter lids, etc are quite resistant to normal levels of chemicals and ozone.

All of that aside, grats on the new tub!

Sorry, cant answer that one. They are from different manufacturers, im not sure who is producing the Monarch for a comparison, but ive always been happy with the Del lines. Has the literature youve seen on the Monarch stated that its warrantied for that many hours more, or just that it should last that many more? Do you know whos producing the Monarch for Cal by chance?

Sorry, cant answer that one. They are from different manufacturers, im not sure who is producing the Monarch for a comparison, but ive always been happy with the Del lines. Has the literature youve seen on the Monarch stated that its warrantied for that many hours more, or just that it should last that many more? Do you know whos producing the Monarch for Cal by chance?

No clue who is producing them. I just read some posts by tecnicians on this board saying that Monarch CD should never need replacement. No idea who is making Monarch (I thought it was Caldera making them). But regardless... do you use your Del and have it running 24/7? Does it last more than a year this way? Or do you just get a new one every year?