Inherited Discovery Spa

BrianBNM

Hello everyone. My first post here. I bought a new house in May and it came with a spa. It's a SL800 and it is in decent shape. Manufactured in 1996. It wasn't hooked up to the 220 and the previous owner claimed it worked two years ago when it was disconnected. I finally got around to hooking it up. Small challenge since there was too much wire to fit inside the junction box but I got it handled.

I can't find much in the way of tech support or manuals for this thing. It's filled, and I get a FLO and COOL message. Not all the jets work but it has about 2/3's that do. Both pumps work and it has a new filter in it. It's not heating but I'm guessing that's because of the FLO problem.

Any help would be appreciated. So far I have zero $$ invested in that thing so I'm not opposed to spending some money to bring it to life. It needs a new cover for sure. A new one is not in the budget.

Thanks

Can't help you out a whole lot without seeing the tub in person,but for your flow problem make sure all pumps are running and that the valve gates are completely open along with the jets and divertors. Your heating situation could be a bad heating coil or your flow error possibally won't let let it heat, try checking with a local dealer for solutions or get the names of the equipment and try re-searching either way it will be a small investment compared to new and you should be able to get this tub up and running with a little effort keep us informed.

Hello everyone. My first post here. I bought a new house in May and it came with a spa. It's a SL800 and it is in decent shape. Manufactured in 1996. It wasn't hooked up to the 220 and the previous owner claimed it worked two years ago when it was disconnected. I finally got around to hooking it up. Small challenge since there was too much wire to fit inside the junction box but I got it handled.

I can't find much in the way of tech support or manuals for this thing. It's filled, and I get a FLO and COOL message. Not all the jets work but it has about 2/3's that do. Both pumps work and it has a new filter in it. It's not heating but I'm guessing that's because of the FLO problem.

Any help would be appreciated. So far I have zero $$ invested in that thing so I'm not opposed to spending some money to bring it to life. It needs a new cover for sure. A new one is not in the budget.

Thanks

Check your filters first an make sure you have good flow, after that your flow sensor by the heater.

Ok, had a buddy come over to help out. Turned the temp all the way down and the primary pump finally kicked in. No idea about the menu on the controls but it solved the FLO problem. No heater though. Looks like a new coil for me. The filter system worked.

Here's a good one. Anyone ever see ball bearings come out of the jets?! WTF? That ain't good but the pumps are still going! Pretty sure that won't last.

Stay tuned, this should be quite the adventure! I managed to hook up the 220 without electrocuting myself so things are still on the upside.

Ok, had a buddy come over to help out. Turned the temp all the way down and the primary pump finally kicked in. No idea about the menu on the controls but it solved the FLO problem. No heater though. Looks like a new coil for me. The filter system worked.

Here's a good one. Anyone ever see ball bearings come out of the jets?! WTF? That ain't good but the pumps are still going! Pretty sure that won't last.

Stay tuned, this should be quite the adventure! I managed to hook up the 220 without electrocuting myself so things are still on the upside.

The lessor expensive waterway spinny jets have SS ball bearings in them. After a few years or a bit more they start to fall apart. It should be pretty easy to get new ones but you may need to bring one in for comparision

Copy on the spinny jets. I put a new heating element in today. My buddy got the primary pump going the other day but I can't crack the code on that one. He doesn't know what he did but it does work. Based on my very limited knowledge I think I'm looking at a pressure switch issue. Any thoughts? I only found two cracks in the fiberglass and I filled them in nicely with some 5200. Hardly noticeable. It cleaned up very nicely.

I did find the manual but it's not much help. One thing though, it says to fill it by putting the hose in the filter housing so not to trap any air and lock something up. I haven't done it that way. I just fill it from the bottom up. Would that really matter that much?

Trying not to get frustrated.

If you think you have air in the lines simply look at the front side of the pump housing and loosen the plugs to see if you have water in the housing (loosen the top 2 first to let air out) if you have water flow at these plugs then your pump should be pumping to your jets. If not next check and see if there is any type of blockage from the intake side of your pump, (you will probally want to drain to do this) if there is no visible signs of blockage follow this line to you filter area and try blowin air (with an air compressor) to see if any thig come through the other end, if all check out good do the the following to the discharge side putting air into the discharge hose and check for air flow and the jets.

If you happen to find something in the lines before reconnecting the hoses to the pump begin re-filling the tub ensure good flow to the pump re- install intake hose when flow comes through discharge side re-connect hose. If you didn't find any type of blockage you could possible have a broken impeller, if your pump isn't leaking anywhere near the pump housing your seal is still good.

Sorry for such a lengthly reply and no I'm not a spa tech but I worked on and with pumps in a local factory for many years and if the motor is turning and there is no leaking from the housing your problem could be air lock (usually the pressure from the water will work this out) or blockage and possibally a bad or broken impeller. This pump will feed into a manifold in which will distribute your water to your jets and I would say if there is blockage it would more than likely be on the intake side due to filter removed at some time and since you recieved this tub used who knows what anyone has done to it.

Thanks Mark. Turns out to be very simple about the main pump. I didn't have enough water in it! The main pump is fed through the filter but without enough water, well. It has a new heating element and pressure switch now and When I came in to take a break the heater wasn't coming on. So I'll give a some time to run and hopefully it will come on. Ordered a new cover today. Almost there.

Thanks Mark. Turns out to be very simple about the main pump. I didn't have enough water in it! The main pump is fed through the filter but without enough water, well. It has a new heating element and pressure switch now and When I came in to take a break the heater wasn't coming on. So I'll give a some time to run and hopefully it will come on. Ordered a new cover today. Almost there.

'BrianBNM' , Congrats on your tub. It sounds like you'll be tubbin in no time. I'd like to see pics of the tub. You said that tub was made in 1996? :o That's 11 going on 12 years. I bought the 2007 version. :D You know there are some people on this forum who claims your tub wouldn't last more then 3 -5 years. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess you and the previous owner showed them, huh. :D Good luck.

Brian, glad to hear it was a simple fix I recently bought a used tub approx. 9 yrs old went through some of the same or similiar problems your are now facing I filled the tub up directly into the tub but for me there weren't any air lock or low level water issues. I did run into a cracked manifold cost $45.00 for parts and glue and have been hot-tubbin for the past 26 evenings missing only one night, I'm sure when you get everything up and running you will find a smile on your face knowing you can fix most anything that will arise. Troubleshooting is a bit more involed especially when it might be electrical hope all work's out for you and be sure to post a picture when you finally get to enjoy your tub.

87 degrees and climbing! Put the chems in this afternoon. Everything looks good except for chlorine but it's probably going to take a little time. I have one of those floating pellet jobbers. New cover on order. I have about $600 into it so far. Heater, pressure switch, cover and all new chems. The pumps seem to run really strong so I think I'm OK there (famous last words). BTW I am in Albuquerque, NM so we don't get the brutal winters like back east. The sun however will kill anything made of fabric or vinyl pretty quick. It's an arid climate so the wood shows it's age but it holds up pretty well. No reason to lose any sleep over. For being a 'cheap' spa I think it has held up pretty well. That said without a single soak.

Snapped a couple of pictures. Once I get some before and after I'll put them up.

87 degrees and climbing! Put the chems in this afternoon. Everything looks good except for chlorine but it's probably going to take a little time. I have one of those floating pellet jobbers.

Are you using chlorine or bromine? AFAIK, the chlorine used in hot tubs (dichlor) is not available in pellet form. If it's "trichlor" you should not use it.

Sounds great brian glad everything is working out, since I'm still new to this chemical thing I won't bother to help out I'm using a system called (EZ-OM SPA) everything has been pretty simple so far but do what your local dealer has they can help out tremendous and you can usually take a water sample to them to help decipher any adjustments needed. Once again congrat's on your accomplishment be sure to let us know how your first soak went!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There wasn't really much to it. Washed it out, hooked back up the 220, replaced the heater and pressure switch and a new cover. The only other thing I might do is give the wood a good coat of Thompsons. It's already cracking but if it will help it last more than it otherwise would I will. I haven't had a day off in a couple of weeks so I haven't had time to mess with photos and such.

• 2 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=39737:date=Oct 2 2007, 08:12 PM:name=BrianBNM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BrianBNM @ Oct 2 2007, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=39737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, had a buddy come over to help out. Turned the temp all the way down and the primary pump finally kicked in. No idea about the menu on the controls but it solved the FLO problem. No heater though. Looks like a new coil for me. The filter system worked.

Stay tuned, this should be quite the adventure! I managed to hook up the 220 without electrocuting myself so things are still on the upside.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The lessor expensive waterway spinny jets have SS ball bearings in them. After a few years or a bit more they start to fall apart. It should be pretty easy to get new ones but you may need to bring one in for comparision

I have your answer for only one pump running. you have an air lock in the line. as you are facing the hot tub there will be a motor on the far right and one on the far left. the one usually on the far right is the one you will deal with. there should be a connection right there on the main line. take your wrench and break that open just a bit until you hear the air escape. retighten the connection and you are good to go. the cool symbol on your display is normal it will come on typically when you refill or first start up for a while in your case. No worries this will go away when the tub comes up to temp. anytime you change your water this will need to be done so get familiar with it.

• 1 year later...

I bought a house that has an SL 800 spa. In great shape, a few leaky pipes but other than that I'm told that it works well. Can someone please tell me where to find a manual for it? I've never had a spa before and have NO IDEA how to turn it on or anything. I read all the posts here and did learn that I shouldn't just toss a hose in there and fill it from the bottom LOL!

Thanks for any and all help.

Noobie

• 9 years later...

On the off chance that someone here still knows... I’ve got a question. I need to know what filter fits in this hot tub. I was recently given one of these old Discovery spas SL800 and I can’t figure out which filter it needs. It didn’t come with one and every hot tub store I’ve been to says they don’t know. Everything else seams, miraculously, to work fine with this 27 year old hot tub, that hadn’t been plugged in for at least 5 years. Any knowledge one of you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. 

• 2 years later...