Sundance And Pressure Treated Wood

mjttd

I was just about to buy a sundance tub when I asked the salesman to remove the side cover.

What I notice about the structure is that it does not look like the pressure treated lumber you would use on a outside deck.

This frame looked like normal wood framing painted with a green preservative.

Many other tubs I have looked at seem to use real pressure treated wood.

I am concerned about the lifespan of this sundance frame/structure.

I was just about to buy a sundance tub when I asked the salesman to remove the side cover.

What I notice about the structure is that it does not look like the pressure treated lumber you would use on a outside deck.

As long as the bottom has PT wood (or plastic) I wouldn't worry. If that spa is still around 15 years from now that frame will be just fine.

The wood is, in fact, pressure treated with Borates. Borates are naturally occurring mineral salts that are essential to growing plants and nutritionally important to a healthy human ***. While borates are harmless to humans, they are toxic to insects. Borates have been used to control insects—including the destructive Formosan termite, standard termites, carpenter ants, and roaches—in homes for years. Borates interfere with insects’ metabolic systems and effectively kill them. They also protect against rot and fungi. In some applications, borates even act as a fire retardant.

Borate products have been used safely for more than 100 years. In fact, borates can be found throughout your own home in a vast array of common products and materials. They are safe for pets and the environment, and they require no special handling or disposal. We eat borates everyday. Borates do not build up in our bodies; our bodies handle borates just like any other nutrient, whether they’re ingested or inhaled.

I think the reasons for Borates being used as opposed to chemically pressure treated wood may have something to do with the fact that Sundance builds their spas in California, and they have to adhere to different regulations in regards to the use of various chemicals.