Sand And Patio Stones

nic

I have asked these questions on another site and got mixed feed back would like some more opions.

1st. Sand bottom, 1 1/2" Foam or purchase a Happy Bottom etc. Seems to me that most use sand. I like the idea of foam as its nice on the feet and protects from rocks etc. Happy bottom or somthing like that is also nice but abviously more money. I do worry about how you would seem the type of items together and the seems showing in the pool bottom or the seems separating in time?

2nd. Do you or don't you use patio stones under the wall supports at the base footers? My dealer says no install instructions say yes. I do live in an area that gets frost / snow etc. From what feed back I have both reasons for using and not using are logical. SO I am confused.

3rd questions ( I just thought of) what do most of you make the cove up with? I guess if you use sand bottom you would use sand. But do most of you buy the perfect cove molding ?

thanks in advance.

I have asked these questions on another site and got mixed feed back would like some more opions.

1st. Sand bottom, 1 1/2" Foam or purchase a Happy Bottom etc. Seems to me that most use sand. I like the idea of foam as its nice on the feet and protects from rocks etc. Happy bottom or somthing like that is also nice but abviously more money. I do worry about how you would seem the type of items together and the seems showing in the pool bottom or the seems separating in time?

2nd. Do you or don't you use patio stones under the wall supports at the base footers? My dealer says no install instructions say yes. I do live in an area that gets frost / snow etc. From what feed back I have both reasons for using and not using are logical. SO I am confused.

3rd questions ( I just thought of) what do most of you make the cove up with? I guess if you use sand bottom you would use sand. But do most of you buy the perfect cove molding ?

thanks in advance.

I installed a used pool 13 years ago and am taking it down soon. I used patio blocks and sand coping. I did not use a pad under the liner. I don't know if it was the right way or not but I did get 13 years out of a used pool. I would like to ask if any one has helpful hints or a link to good instructions.

You do need patio blocks under the uprights, if your dealer does'nt know that he should try selling something else. Sand is the most popular bottom for above ground pools, if you tell me what size pool I can advise you on how much to purchase, you need washed bar sand or masonry sand. Are you installing this yourself?

Guzz, Yes I am installing the pool myself. Its only a 12'. Small backyard small pool I guess. Anyways, I too thought you would need patio stones, make sense. Keeps the uprights from sinking. But his answer was with frost. Anyway I am now thinking I am going to use them.

I am undecided on the base. We do have lots of little rocks and as best as I try to get them all out sure as heck some will surface in time. SO I was thinking the foam would stop it from coming through to the liner at least. Plus cost wise it may be chaper to do then sand and allot of people say its better ???

Guzz, Yes I am installing the pool myself. Its only a 12'. Small backyard small pool I guess. Anyways, I too thought you would need patio stones, make sense. Keeps the uprights from sinking. But his answer was with frost. Anyway I am now thinking I am going to use them.

I am undecided on the base. We do have lots of little rocks and as best as I try to get them all out sure as heck some will surface in time. SO I was thinking the foam would stop it from coming through to the liner at least. Plus cost wise it may be chaper to do then sand and allot of people say its better ???

I think I am going to use the sand and the perfect bottom. I am installing a 18" myself. i spoke to my pool store and they don't think the bottom is needed but since i am doing it myself I will probably get better results on the pool bottom with the perfect bottom.

I think I am going to use the sand and the perfect bottom. I am installing a 18" myself. i spoke to my pool store and they don't think the bottom is needed but since i am doing it myself I will probably get better results on the pool bottom with the perfect bottom.

I have a 20+ year old above ground pool that i will be replacing this year. I am in an area with snow and frost and the exisiting pool has patio block under the uprights. The new pool will as well.

The old pool had a sand bottom and held up great. I chose not to go with the foam bottom, sides or coping. It just didn't make sense for me to do so.

Good luck.